Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How damaging will the queues be to ToR?

I'm currently in the waiting list for my realm, i've been playing for under a day!
    Naturally i decided to check swtor.com whle i was waiting, only to be placed in a queue to visit the website (lol). Do you think ToR will lose a lot of playerbase from these queues or maybe even keep people away? Is it enough to make you stop playing?

position in queue 141. discuss!

10+ Year Old Account
    go to a lower pop server. thats what i did. instead of a very heavy, i picked a standard. there are a ton of standard and light servers there. they'll equalize eventually
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaftyMcShaft View Post
    Metzen: Magic rainbow ponies.
    Developer 2: Brilliant.
    Metzen: That's why they pay me the big bucks.

Not nearly as damaging as the whole I activated and got locked out of my account and now you wont talk to me problem they have.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I had queues before release, now I haven't seen them at all. Come to Space Slug where there are no queues after work!

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    position in queue 141. discuss!
    thats actually a very low que. queues are very normal and to be expected from a new MMO launch, especially one as large as this one has been. In a month it will have settled down but until then its part of the deal. If you didnt expect this, not sure what to tell ya. I have never played a MMO where customer service, websites and servers where not hammered in the first week.

If it drives people away, they will be back and if not.. well then they probably wouldnt have played long anway.. so yeah no loss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah server I started back on Dec 16 has a 400 queue usually.... and it's 10am PST / 1pm EST where I live. Not happy, it's late morning and there's a freaking queue.

10+ Year Old Account
    141 is not really that bad...what 10-20 minutes? The realm i rolled on POT5 (i was in first wave on day 1 early access) has seen hour + queues...

My suggestion is roll on light-standard servers...They will get a massive population influx (specially after Christmas). I honestly foresee Bioware locking heavy-full server for new player creation, which they should. There is nothing wrong with light-standard servers, standard servers have a healthy size and can support a good economy...plus less competition in the early planets. My server I am already in mid 30s and still encounter large amounts of other players on the late planets.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Deleted
    Reasonably, for a lot of people, especially wow players this is probably their first MMO launch so they may not have expected queues and technical problems. There's been a few screw ups by Bioware but mostly I think they've done pretty well with the launch, but I think a lot of people will have anticipated wow level of smoothness.

10+ Year Old Account

Really?
    The perfumed* boys he wrapped in chains and threw into the sea. They were unnatural creatures, and the ship smelled better once cleansed of their presence.

*Degenerative Casuals

Seriously, queues are a good thing for long term server health. Keeping the population dense ensures that people will have faster queue times for Warzones and a better ability to find people for Flashpoints and guild recruitment over the long term.

Nothing worse than rolling on a launch server only to find it a ghost town in 3 months. This happened to me after rolling on a TBC launch server. The $90 in server transfer fees was not fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    How damaging where they in other games such as WoW and Rift? Just wait it out. I wait in queues for what 5 minutes, not a killer.. if its 30mins can always do another thing while waiting you know...
    -K

Deleted
    i'm not asking for advice - i chose my heavy population server so that i wouldn't end up on a dead server after the 28 days is up like most of the other mmos i've played. I'm just trying to find out people's opinions on how this will affect people's choices to carry on playing this game. MMO launches are always intense with the traffic, sure, but given the amount of preorders they receieved they must have had a fair idea that their servers were going to get hammered and came up with some sort of solution.. it's not like we're dealing with amateurs

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    but given the amount of preorders they receieved they must have had a fair idea that their servers were going to get hammered and came up with some sort of solution.. it's not like we're dealing with amateurs
    And what solution would that be? Assign servers and force people to go certain places? beyond the guild launch that people willingly took part in can you imagine the uproar that would cause? You yourself WILLINGLY chose to roll on a high pop server only exasperating the issue and im sure your not alone so.. who is really at fault here? They cant "balance" server pops with out taking away choice, they can only discourage people and they have tried that by lowering server pop caps and we all see what a shit storm of bitching that turned out to be so I ask you.. really.. what could be done eh?

If people will just chill ( not likely ) things always work themselves out and all this stupidity will be for nothing.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2011-12-22 at 06:27 PM.

Deleted
    why do people always ask regular joe for a solution? give me the experience they have at bioware (from their entire life, not just at bioware) and i will provide you with a solution lol. i'm not even complaining, i was just trying to discuss the impact of the queue times on the game...does nobody actually read the posts here anymore?

Seems like you all just want to argue. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    141 is not really that bad...what 10-20 minutes? The realm i rolled on POT5 (i was in first wave on day 1 early access) has seen hour + queues...

My suggestion is roll on light-standard servers...They will get a massive population influx (specially after Christmas). I honestly foresee Bioware locking heavy-full server for new player creation, which they should. There is nothing wrong with light-standard servers, standard servers have a healthy size and can support a good economy...plus less competition in the early planets. My server I am already in mid 30s and still encounter large amounts of other players on the late planets.
    For the bold part, no, not gonna happen. What if my friend/family member gets the game for x-mas and then wants to play on my server? They can't if they lock new char creation, therefore, they will not do it. They will do what they have been doing and open up new servers as needed, and recommend that as a new player you choose one of these. They will not take the choice to play with your friends and family away from you though.

Quote Originally Posted by fuseku View Post
    i'm not asking for advice - i chose my heavy population server so that i wouldn't end up on a dead server after the 28 days is up
    And that is why there are long queues. Too many people start for the first time and are preparing to select a server,

"Hmmmmmm that one is 'Light' and doesn't have the word 'Darth' in the name...LAME!!!! I don't want to be all alone, afterall this game is like 10 months old and if the servers 'Light' it will always be 'Light' forever and always. I'm going to that 'Very Heavy' one where all the cool kids are!"

Then if you get enough of these ^ genius' then you get giant server queues which turn into "OMFG BIOWARE YOUR GAME SUCKS!" threads.

Not to mention everyone seems to forget that this highly anticipated launch week happens to also be the week before Christmas making it so there are even more people off work and school staying up late/early playing nonstop. This will even out in a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    I'm on Prophecy as well, and yeah a few days ago it was getting really bad. It seems they've upped our population cap by a considerable amount though and queues are tolerable now.

It's killing it for me. I was assigned a server due to the guild system, and all my friends are there.
    RETH

You're implying that the queues will remain.

I'm not certain they will.

This is the reason I always hold off on buying a MMO for a few months. These kinds of issues are to be expected. If you feel you have to play the game immediately you need to go into it with this expectation. It will get better. People just need to remain patient.

I know this is a cliche, but good things come to those who wait (in this case I mean waiting in queues, not the purchase).
    Last edited by Sealbinder; 2011-12-22 at 08:00 PM.