Poll: rate the DH concept

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    Deleted

Wink Demon Hunter ideas

TLDR:Abilities and talents at the end

Demon Hunter

An exquisite master of the double hand ballistae and war glaives, the demon hunter is the anti-pet class, with its training in both the chaotic art of counter-attacking enemies and the imposing skill of the order aspects to increase his own battle prowess. The concept is intended to give the players a fun time playing a melee tank that works with dodge and parry chances and aoe aggro, a melee dps that works with critical hits and grim combat technics and a ranged spec that uses crossbows and has no pet!.

Races: Night elf, Pandaren, Human, Blood elf and Orc.
    Armor: mail with agility for ranged spec, agility for tank (same as enhancement shaman) and intellect for melee dps

Requirement: any character with the Explore Outland achievement.

GAMEPLAY

Inner Paths:

A Demon Hunter will be given a special quest chain in order to receive the power of the higher forces he can have access to. This can be completed only after the Minor Powers rituals are and a choice will be made automatically to fit the player’s character, depending on the choices made throughout the quest chain(big script I know/it is dispensable). When the DH gains knowledge of these forces, he can then apply them in combat. But these are very powerful forces that need to be harnessed with much effort and only a skilled DH can summon them enough. And this is where true power resides…

Order Champion:
    Allows the use of the superior power of Order to combine with the DH's abilities.
    Chaos Vessel:
    Allows the use of the superior power of Chaos to combine with the DH's abilities.
    Voidling:
    Allows the use of the Lifeless Void power to combine with the DH's abilities.

In addition to the Powers mentioned above, the DH will have to first choose between other minor schools of Minor Powers and only 2 are possible to have available at the same time for each spec.
    These Technics are meant to be taught to any DH at the beginning of his/her journey, although some specs receive a more advanced training than others in a branch, being that the natural law of their combat school. The Minor Powers are:

OmniscienceForce that enables a spell or ability to cause an AoE ;
    PandoraForce that adds another type of effect or enhancement to a spell or ability;
    SummonForce that creates a physical aspect of the ability used that will last for 1 min and count as a pet but will act on its own;
    MirrorForce that mimics the opposite of a spell or ability.
    Alter-Focus - Allows the DH to channel part of the abilitiy's power to buff party/raid members for 1 min.

In terms of gameplay, there are 3 unique paths made available for any spec, which are the ORDER/CHAOS/VOID choices, and will change much of the way the player well, plays the DH*. Order talent choice allows the DH a more physical advantage not only in offense but defense. In the other hand, it also benefits more the DHs team players than the DH himself, while taking advantage of the arcane branch of magic. The Chaos aspect of the DH talent tree, will allow for a multitude of different combat and rotations, and is very unorthodox. It will most of the times grant an instant counter spell, or a burst of damage, while taking advantage of the magic branch of fire. In the end, the Void talent choice will serve mostly for survival purposes and pvp, ensuring that the DH or his allies survive and have an edge with the magic branch of shadow. Nonetheless, Void is also a viable solution in pve..

*The above formula also applies to the Minor Powers.
    COMBAT

The demon hunters will have a very peculiar combat mechanic. They will have a collection of abilities like other classes, however, much like the rune system in Diablo 3, these abilities will be modified according to 8 special Technics/Rituals and God Powers (the latter are related to the Old Gods and Titans, even though I am not 100% sure about their relation with DHs), being separated in two groups that would have to be activated beforehand, similar to any other classes’ “stance”. I.e.: God power>Minor Ritual>basic ability.

Finally, the superior forces are Chaos, Order and Void, but will only be accessible after completing a personalized quest chain that will determine which path is the best for the current player. These God Powers are the last choice a DH makes to finalize his training, and will modify everything in their combat and far more:

ORDER: In general this power will enhance the DH's attack prowess, and grants a steady and reliable combat rotation.
    CHAOS: Chaos is a force that has no master and even for those who study it, it can be unpredictable. This power will give different effects on different abilities.
    VOID: The absence of life and the reign of the anti-matter. This power is intended to give the DH an edge for those individualist players.

Being this the normal mechanics of the DH, its resource system ought to be unique as well, and I made unique the key word here as each spec has a specific resource tool:

Tank:
    Soul Thirst- This is a type of resource that is similar to any caster's mana, but in about half the values and is generated on many different situations. Now, this is meant to be filled over three “demon seals” along the Soul Thirst bar that mark the spell's combos, meaning that only if the DH has reached the third marker will he be able to use the Superior combo ability. Basic abilities still cost Soul Thirst and the first Demon Seal has to be filled fast. Being a Tank spec, the Disciple’s resource gains a boost when parrying and dodging.

As a second part of the combat mechanics, there would be a different bar below the first.

Fel Shift-, This bar would balance the use of both chaos and order attacks, in the form of a level gauge that would either fill in the direction of chaos or in the direction of the order gauge, and would reset to neutral over time and with each hit received (5 souls per hit). The DH has a limit of 200 Chaos and 200 Order Souls.
    All of the DHs abilities generate either chaos or order souls. SO, every time the DH hits full Fel Shift bar, a transformation occurs that changes him not into a demon nor a mortal, but something else…

Melee Dps:
    Fel Energy- Works just like the regular Energy bar just with a different colour. This is so you cannot spam abilities.

Balance & Corruption: You start with a full bar of Balance and each ability costs Balance, to the point when you are out of balance and now have Corruption. But instead of having a full bar of Corruption, you have to build your corruption using Corrupted versions of abilities, meaning you are forced to activate one of the Minor Powers. Balance regenerates at half the speed of Fel Energy and Corruption degenerates at the same rate. Balance and Corruption both have the same value as the Fel Energy bar. Once hitting max Corruption, you Morph into a demon, before you balance out, and unmorph after a minimum of 10 sec. Only in Apocalyptic Form can the Zealot use the Superior Powers for combinations.

Ranged Dps:

Energy

Void Bolts: Similar to the Disciple’s Soul Thirst bar, these Void Bolts are required to activate the Minor Powers, through a different way of course. Each Void Bolt allows the Jailer to use a minor combo and they cap at 8.

Nether Spark: After building up 3 Void Bolts, and using them, you get a Nether Spark Resource, which is then used on superior Combos and Metamorphs your weapon into a demonic weapon from the Twisting Nether. Unfortunately, you can only have one Nether Spark at a time. Your Weapon Metamorph lasts only 5 sec and you can cast any Superior Combos you possibly can during this small time.

EMANATIONS(credits go partially to HELLSING )
    These work just like a DK’s presences or hunter aspects but with the primary objective of affecting the DH’s foes actions and bonuses. These emanations are divided between three different ritualistic schools:

Emanation of the Vanguard- Turns the DH’s body into a force to be reckoned, increasing his attack and movement speed by 68% for 7 sec when the DH dodges or parries, and increases his dodge and parry chance by 13%.

Emanation of the Ravager- The DH can activate an aura of immolation around him that damages the enemies caught within it (stealth or not) by 285 fire damage at the cost of losing 0,25% of his total health every sec.

Emanation of the Archfiend- Turns the DH into a vicious spell caster counter unit by increasing by 28% the main resource regeneration and giving the spell "negation" effect that removes 1 negative effect every 15 sec.

NOTE: The jailer spec would be the only to not metamorph but would have a combat mechanic suited to enable him to balance both emanations (like the spec ability duality that allows the jailer to use two emanations at the same time)

Apocalyptic forms

As explained above, each time the Disciple fills the Fel Shift bar, a transformation occurs that will endure for as long as you maintain Chaos or Order Souls at max and in the case of the Zealot, the same happens but when you reach Full Corruption. In both the Zealot and the Disciple, when Metamorph ends, the Soul Thirst and the Corruption bars are depleted. These transformations will be annexed to the current emanation active (this ability would be the higher form of the warlocks "metamorph", although its rightful place is in here). The forms are:

Vanguard Formtransforms the DH and gives him +100% armor, and gives his successful dodge the Minus Mortal effect. (this effect causes the DH to be unstoppable by means of stun, sleep, charm or silence for 7 sec. Can only occur once every 1.5 mins)
    maybe a little like this for female characters:
    and for male characters:
    Ravager Formtransforms the DH and grants a 25% chance when it critical hits to open an underworld rift that will deal 323 fire damage to all targets inside it every 3 sec for 9 sec.
    took the idea from here, without the wings:
    Archfiend Formtransforms the DH into a flying demon that can absorb 15% of any damaging spell received and redirect it back to the target.. A cool concept from darksiders:

However, for the Disciple spec only, if a player chooses the path of either Chaos or Order, whenever it misuses its abilities in a unnatural sense, being the chaos using too many order abilities and vice versa, the consequences would be a transformation that instead of combining the Apocalyptic Form with the current Emanation, would vanquish all benefits from the DH for 20 sec as well as all Souls in the Fel Shift. As a Void spec DH, since there is no evident path allegiance, any chaos or order soul cap can bring a transformation without the backside of a wrong transformation but with the backside of only lasting 20 sec. While Metamorphed, all abilities generate high threat and those that already did will generate double.

In conclusion, the DH should be a hardcore hero class that would benefit a lot if played by a well experienced player, capable of managing the complex combo finishers, which allow a multitude of rotations, with the resource bars bi-polar mechanics.

CLASS TRAITS

Blindness. Since every Demon hunter is already blind(at least in theory), they are obviously immune to blinding effects.

Tainted Growth: This was meant to be a common ability for all specs, but it turned up to be far more related to the Zealot spec, and for balance purposes, I left only a few to the disciple and jailer, while adding the complete set to the zealot. Check the ability list =)
    ^the original idea is from Zavix, BIG PROPS XD

Deconstruction: Deconstruction transforms armor into a rune that appears as a tattoo on the Demon Hunter’s body. You can Deconstruct chest, shoulder, glove, cloaks, bracers, and helmet armor. Players can change the color, and appearance of the runes on their bodies and this is a completely optional ability. (Tier sets would however come with a fixed armor appearance of a mix of mail and tattoos). This would NOT destroy the armor, and if you want you could change it back< this concept was developed entirely by Teriz to whom I send big gratz and a word of admiration for some good ideas

Spec Trees

Disciple - Focusing on its war glaives, the disciple is a deadly dual wielder that uses high speed attacks as well as magically empowered abilities to unleash pain on its enemies. But, better than that, he has tank spec technics such has dual wielding parry and an array of order defensive skills that makes him the tank spec for this class. This honorable warrior has forsaken his homeland and friends in order to protect them and will not forgive any who are fighting for the wrong reasons. This spec is a punisher that excels at counter-attacking and overpowering enemies that miss their chance to strike him down.

Jailer – As opposed to the disciple, the jailer is a long ranged spec that has a variety of abilities to help its allies survive, or to ensure that the enemies are being punished with high dps. The preferred weapon for these hunters is the one-handed crossbow. These fighters excel at devastating groups of foes who cluster together. Their pinpoint accuracy also allows them to deal with stronger monsters at a distance: they can snipe at key targets or fall back while snapping off kill shots at advancing foes.
    Due Note: in order for Blizzard to have time to add new one-handed crossbows, I think that this spec should be able to roll on two handed guns and crossbows, and then they would shrink proportionally to fit a one handed, for the meantime.

Zealot – These fanatic followers are corrupted beyond comeback. They do not use regular weapons, instead transforming their arms to suit their combat. Apart from their combat readiness and total disregard for their defense, these killers use dark rituals to complete their dark transformation and boost their attack any time they enter chaos form, bringing the true meaning of chaos and horror to the battlefield. They are proficient fighters in both melee and at range, attacking foes with little method, they are utterly unpredictable.

Tank spec initial abilities:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...edit?hl=pt_PT#
    Ranged Dps initial abilities: (for a complete list of the primary abilities, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...edit?hl=pt_PT#
    Pure Dps initial abilities: (for a complete list of the primary abilities, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...edit?hl=pt_PT#

minor combinations:

disciple:
    Jailer:
    zealot:

Superior Combo Ablilities:

Disciple:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...edit?hl=pt_PT#

Zealot:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...edit?hl=pt_PT#

Jailer:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...edit?hl=pt_PT#

GLYPHS:
    Disciple Major Glyphs:
    Mind over Matter:
    Allows the DH to reset his Fel Energy bar at the cost of only being able to fill one Demonic Seal for the next 30 sec.

TALENTS-here's the site's url:http://mop-talent-grid-maker.appspot.com/
    ID: look for xikfreits as the author
    Last edited by mmoc4874008d12; 2014-01-07 at 06:59 PM.

Neat concept, but I don't think demon hunters use bows.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

Deleted
    Nice idea.But after I red the races you think should be able to be Demon Hunters I /facepalmed and left.bb

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    i like demon hunters
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aheroarises View Post
    Nice idea.But after I red the races you think should be able to be Demon Hunters I /facepalmed and left.bb
    Most of those are fine. Night Urlf and Blurd Urlf anyway. Troll should probably... be in there. Considering they "don't make those anymore" with Demon Hunters, it can potentially be an "all races" class.

I like the use of bows, I think that at least one more class should have them as an option, even if only for a tree, especially since nobody but hunters are even going to equip bows/guns/crossbows come MoP.

I was very certain at one point that Demon Hunters were on the horizon with the secret mini quests on the Alliance side where you bring a scroll about how to be a demon hunter to the night elves.
    However, we got monks for some reason. o.O

Also, leather? I think mail would be better. Nobody uses intellect mail except resto/ele shaman, should open it up for another class. Or freaking intellect plate but that may be pushing it. Stupid holy paladins...

Deleted
    I like the idea of playable demon hunters. I also like how you portrayed specs, quite awesome I'd say!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post

I was very certain at one point that Demon Hunters were on the horizon with the secret mini quests on the Alliance side where you bring a scroll about how to be a demon hunter to the night elves.
    However, we got monks for some reason. o.O

Also, leather? I think mail would be better. Nobody uses intellect mail except resto/ele shaman, should open it up for another class. Or freaking intellect plate but that may be pushing it. Stupid holy paladins...
    Yes, we even get an achievement for it. For those that don't know about it still, jump into the Darkshore maelstrom.

And also agree. I'd have wanted leather for them as well, but with monks there will be too many classes on leather, so rather get them mail instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont think we need another Tank class after Monk Brewmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    Who all uses intellect leather? Balance/resto druids? ......I say they can open it up for another class.

Edit:
    I love the Zealot idea.
    Although, I don't know why they need intellect. But it does some sense, with them using agility and intellect.

Deleted
    we need no more tanks too many as it is p.s. trolls can be demon hunters also... read on the lore p.s. lame concept sounds like a crappy death knight

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    Who all uses intellect leather? Balance/resto druids? ......I say they can open it up for another class.
    Pretty sure I read somewhere healing monks will be using int leather. I might be wrong, though.

Demon hunters have been here since announcement of Diablo 3. sorry I'm not reading that wall of text right now way too tired.

I was a Demon Hunter before I took an arrow to the knee.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2011-12-23 at 03:54 PM.

Most obvious problem is introducing yet another agility leather user.
    A group which come the monk will be pretty saturated.

Demon hunters are relentless vigilantes who execute their infernal targets with an arsenal of ranged weapons. They crouch and take aim far from danger, relying on bows, deadly traps, and projectiles to swiftly bring an end to the creatures that haunt their world.
    With sweeping blasts of shot, wide salvos of arrows and timed explosives at their disposal, demon hunters excel at devastating groups of foes who cluster together. Hunters’ pinpoint accuracy also allows them to deal with stronger monsters at a distance: they can snipe at key targets or fall back while snapping off kill shots at advancing foes.
    However, demon hunters’ focus on ranged combat and limited melee-weapons training leave them in danger when they’re cornered or surrounded. Evasive skills like defensive rolls and jumps, as well as targeted attacks that hamstring and slow enemies, are as crucial to survival as any arrow in a hunter’s quiver.

Those who call themselves demon hunters are not a people or a nation. They owe allegiance to no king. They are but a remnant – an echo – of those who’ve lost their lives to hellspawn. When their homes are burnt and their families butchered by demons, most newly scarred refugees give up on living – but a few bury their dead, band together, and swear vengeance.
    Though they are small in number, hunters track and corner demons in the hopes that, if they can save even one life, their world will be better for it. At the end of a day’s hunt, most still close their eyes and have nightmares in which they see the horrors that brought them together: gore-caked claws, and men and women drowning in their own blood.
    Awake, demon hunters see much the same. But, now, in the present, they finally have the power to retaliate.
    They dare not dream of victory, or, even less likely, peace. And yet, they hunt. They can do nothing else.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/
    Last edited by Goretex; 2011-12-23 at 12:31 PM.

Aw, I wanted to be a Panda. :<

Quote Originally Posted by HikariOblivion View Post
    Pretty sure I read somewhere healing monks will be using int leather. I might be wrong, though.
    and i have some1 read that dps casters will use int and healers will use spirit as main stat and int will not do that much for them

Quote Originally Posted by Baergrillz View Post
    Demon hunters have been here since announcement of Diablo 3. sorry I'm not reading that wall of text right now way too tired.
    oh boy...

Demon Hunters from Warcraft are not the same Demon Hunters from Diablo 3...

go play Warcraft III please
    Last edited by Turyon Dragonhand; 2011-12-23 at 01:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like a terrible design idea that should never be implemented

Demon hunters have existed in wow before Diablo, not to mention Diablos demon hunter and Wows demon hunter are not the same, they are completely different.

You can't compare lore between diablo and WoW because its not the same game.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    was this about lore? from the OP it looked like combat. In wow so far I haven't seen a demon hunter. Unless you wanna classify Vol'jin or Illidan as such. In the first warcraft games there were demon hunters, but I was trying to make a sarcastic point that there isn't any in WoW guess that flew over some peoples heads.
    Shadowmoon Valley... Black Temple... lots of lots of demon hunters at this place alone.