Sentinel vs Guardian

I'm choosing between Sentinel and Guardian but can't decide.
    Can anyone give some input on how these two play? How good are they for leveling and how good for PvP as a DPS oriented build?

Thanks
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

I can only comment for Guardian, but they work very much like warriors in wow. You build up focus and then got focus dump spells. I currently play guardian specced in the tank tree and have no issues killing stuff. Only lvl 21 so not sure if it gets worse later.

Thanks. I heard a few bad things about leveling as a Guardian DPS spec, like not enough damage to take on multiple mobs and not enough survivability.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

If you KNOW you'll only ever want to DPS and/or PvP, then Sentinel is a fine choice. However, if you're even the slightest bit unsure of whether you may want to Tank, then go Guardian. The option will at least be there to Tank.

Either way there's about 500 billion of either class.

---------- Post added 2011-12-23 at 09:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Thanks. I heard a few bad things about leveling as a Guardian DPS spec, like not enough damage to take on multiple mobs and not enough survivability.
    It can be challenging, but it'll be worth it. More challenge = you learn more, and become more skilled. More ownage later on!

Well there's one thing I don't like about Sentinels.. I don't like the fact that they dual wield sabers. I know it sounds like a lame reason, but I give lots to how my char looks. I'd prefer using one lightsaber and still be a melee DPS, I'm just worried I'll be gimped as a Guardian (for leveling and PvP).
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Deleted
    Sentinel for gods sake.
    You get not one, but TWO Jormung...wait.. lightsabers! Throw one, you still have one left! Throw both, and you are badass!

Dual wielding lightsabers is just the thing I want to avoid
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Dual wielding lightsabers is just the thing I want to avoid
    Then be a Guardian. It'll still do decent DPS and work well in PvP.

Don't pay too much attention to the people saying Guardians are crap or whatever. It's simply too soon to make any sort of conclusions like that: and even if they ARE true, then Bioware will buff Guardians. Simple as that.

I guess you are right. I'll be grabbing a Guardian then. Anyone have a good spec I can use for leveling?

Thanks
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

I was using the middle talent tree (can't remember what it's called, but it's not Force and it's the other DPS tree) and that seemed to work well. I've recently respecced to the Tank talent tree: not much difference in killing speed, but I can survive a lot more.

Honestly any spec should work, I'd imagine.

How could you not want to dual wield lightsabers? I thought that was the pinnacle of Star Wars. Anyway, I leveled a Sentinel in beta to 30ish and found it to be rather difficult in some places that it wasn't on other characters. Tank specced Guardians are pretty good for leveling especially if you use a constantly upgraded Kira or one of the other dps companions.

Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    How could you not want to dual wield lightsabers?
    I think it has something to do with my relation to Jedi Outcast (one lightsaber) and then the release of Jedi Academy (one ls, dual wield, dual bladed) that took away players from Jedi Outcast.
    I somehow dislike dual wielding lightsabers. I also imagine there's too many Sentinels playing.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Currently lvl 35 Guardian on a new server from the 20th and i love it, i can take on same level Elite mobs and my Cd's really shine, they start off slow but 25+ they start to show there true colors, sentinals start off fast then dumb down...

Deleted
    Well I find it fairly challenging as a 29 Vigilance Guardian but apparently it gets better.

So, what do you suggest for leveling, which tree, the tanking or Vigilance? Heard force tree is more of a PvP thing.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Deleted
    I haven't tried the tanking spec so I can't really comment on it but Vigilance isn't THAT bad.I usually have to heal after every pull and have difficulty with some elites but that's it.I use T7 aswel by the way Try both of them and see you might end up enjoying one more then the other

Quote Originally Posted by Laddips View Post
    I haven't tried the tanking spec so I can't really comment on it but Vigilance isn't THAT bad.I usually have to heal after every pull and have difficulty with some elites but that's it.I use T7 aswel by the way Try both of them and see you might end up enjoying one more then the other
    I just taunt back and fourth with Cd's with T7 and on a few lvl higher elites i have to heal after otherwise i can do around 3 pulls before having to heal, but Guardians excel later on so the ppl starting off got a lil to go if you can muck thru it, very nice pay off indeed...

Deleted
    is there a way to unlearn your spec just like in wow , or once u pick a spec thats it ? i am sentinel atm

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I have played both to 25 and I think Guardian has more viability as it can tank or dps where sent all you can do is DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Rizo View Post
    is there a way to unlearn your spec just like in wow , or once u pick a spec thats it ? i am sentinel atm
    Talents yes, Advanced class no....