Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Anyone else underwhelmed with Flashpoints?

So far I have run 4 Flashpoints, and all but 1 were pretty underwhelming.

Black Talon - This one I understand, it's a 2+, so you go in there with 4 and it's pretty easy

Hammer Station - Way too easy, ran with a complete PuG and owned all easily until the last boss. Last boss some silly DPS couldn't kill adds, and i had to go. Second time running it though was easy.

Athiss - Ran with guild group, we were a little over leveled for it(24-25), but it still seemed really really too easy. I mean the majority of the trash was weak mobs, with a few strongs here and there. We basically walked through there with ease.

Mandalorian Raiders - Again, guild group here, still 24-25 and it's 26 I think. Still pretty easy. More Strong/Elites that Athiss, and the fight with the republic boarding party we survived with one person alive due to a botched pull on my part we think. That particular fight was a little hectic as apparently Assassins have poor AoE threat and there are 4 champions to tank. We still won on our first attempt though. Last fight was a little interesting with him jumping around. First attempt we actually did wipe because 1 DPS decided to burn the boss and ignore the turrents and the other was on the turrents. We didn't have enough DPS for either strat at that point obviously. Second attempt we killed the turrents and the fight was easy.

All in all, most Heroic 4+ Missions I have done were tougher than these. Part of me wants to think, well maybe I;m just that bad-ass of a tank or maybe my healer is just that good, but I don't think so. Hopefully the challenge ramps up a bit, it definitely seems to be, just not really quick enough for me. I understand the first 2 being easy, due to people learning roles, and not having most of their tools yet, but Athiss especially just seemed WAY too easy.

So far I think the leveling instances are tuned just fine. Remember these are leveling instances and people may come in with really crappy gear, new to MMOs, just learning their class etc.

In Wow and Rift the leveling instances were super easy too. I think that is appropriate. Now at end game if the heroics (or whatever they are called) are too easy, well then that will be an issue.

I liked Rift's end game approach where there was Tiered Heroics/experts
    "Peace is a lie"

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It gets harder, Boarding party for example wasn't exactly easy when everyone was about that level (level 33 flashpoint).

Deleted
    Compared to WoW or Rift I certainly do not think they are easy. They are generally a bit more challenging than those and although easy, a good learning experience for players. That aside, I am definitely not underwhelmed by them as I find them highly enjoyable if just for the atmosphere and story involved in them which is of much higher quality than anything WoW has thrown at me for 6-7 years.

Deleted
    I have tested most of them up to colicoid war games and no they are very easy, it's all standard stuff we've seen before, but then again I've only played them with a group of good players, never posed a challenge to us, was just more or less "zerging" through them on the first runs.

It's a new game, those are the equivalent of Vanilla dungeons really (maybe a bit easier?). To someone used to MMOS it might be underwhelming, but I'm sure stuff will get more challenging in endgame.

My friends and I died in the Mandalorian Raiders about as many times as you did, and were the same level (3 level difference), but it was anything but easy for me. I was a Shadow tank and having a lot of issues with threat at the time, less so for the Boarding Party boss fight, more during the Beastmaster fight. The dogs ran everywhere constantly, and I couldn't even seem to hold the main guy either.

We had the DPS burn the Sent/Marauder during the Boarding Party fight and I just tanked the other 3. I did end up dying to the Bounty Hunter's missiles at the end, his single target damage caught my healer off guard and I couldn't get out of the way of his aoe in time. One tick was all it took.

We did one shot the last guy, thought. Still a harrowing experience for me overall.

The rest though, yes, I thought they were fairly easy. Although Athiss was riddled with weak/standard mobs, I thought the final pull/final boss fight was entertaining, at least. It was complicated enough to remind us all where our useful abilities are.

Quite frankly, after leveling a Tauren Prot Warrior to 65 in WoW, I'm just thankful these bosses are staying alive longer than 15 seconds, with a few curveball mechanics to keep it from being a tank and spank. It's been ages since I've felt it necessary to CC in dungeons while leveling.

Ok, just to be clear I wasn't really complaining, and yes I am an experienced MMO player, and was running with experienced MMO players. This is probably why things seemed so easy to me. I also understand the first 2 being really easy, I was just hoping the difficulty would ramp up a little quicker, as long as it does eventually though I am happy.

Colicoid War Game was impossible to do on 2 man, probably still would be a fairly difficult flashpoint with 4. Red Reaper wasn't too bad other than the first boss, still have yet to do the end game ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kadessa View Post
    My friends and I died in the Mandalorian Raiders about as many times as you did, and were the same level (3 level difference), but it was anything but easy for me. I was a Shadow tank and having a lot of issues with threat at the time, less so for the Boarding Party boss fight, more during the Beastmaster fight. The dogs ran everywhere constantly, and I couldn't even seem to hold the main guy either.

We had the DPS burn the Sent/Marauder during the Boarding Party fight and I just tanked the other 3. I did end up dying to the Bounty Hunter's missiles at the end, his single target damage caught my healer off guard and I couldn't get out of the way of his aoe in time. One tick was all it took.

We did one shot the last guy, thought. Still a harrowing experience for me overall.

The rest though, yes, I thought they were fairly easy. Although Athiss was riddled with weak/standard mobs, I thought the final pull/final boss fight was entertaining, at least. It was complicated enough to remind us all where our useful abilities are.

Quite frankly, after leveling a Tauren Prot Warrior to 65 in WoW, I'm just thankful these bosses are staying alive longer than 15 seconds, with a few curveball mechanics to keep it from being a tank and spank. It's been ages since I've felt it necessary to CC in dungeons while leveling.
    Yeah, on the beastmaster fight I figured the dogs have no aggro table, as taunt wouldn't move them. The boss himself though, taunt worked, then about the time taunt went off CD he ran off again. Just taunted every CD and he stayed on me. Even with things running all over though, my healer wasn't complaining about too much damage or not being able to heal or over-heating at all. Noone died at all.

For the boarding party fight, we botched it cause we set up all this CC then went in to pull and the CC didn't work, then they saw through my stealth and it went haywire quick as I tried to change kill order after pull started. I read in patch notes they fixed the CC immune thing though. All in all though, for being as sloppy as we were and winning, I was surprised.
    Last edited by Lathais; 2011-12-23 at 03:46 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're supposed to be relatively easy for players at the beginning. This is a new game after all and most people need to learn about how the game works and how their class works.

Deleted
    Yes, the early ones I've done were too easy. I'm an Operative Medic an I expected something little different. I had only healing abilities keybinded and couldn't do much damage, so I felt a little useless. I hope the later ones actually require a dedicated healer.

The presentation is still awesome, though. It's like playing ME co-op, complete with cut scenes and interactive dialogues. I had my doubts about the group dialogue system but it seems to be working. It's cool to see your avatar and others in the group in conversations.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are pretty easy up until about Boarding Party, that's when the game starts to throw some slightly harder stuff at you. Will it destroy you? Not really...I went in with a guild group to BP/Foundry and we beat in (although the 2nd boss in Foundry was a bit of a pain). As the healer I can say that the damage was never awful, but if you didn't learn the basics (move out of stuff/tank the boss away from friends) then you would get far too much damage for a healer of that level to deal with. It's a good leveling experience.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Esseles, Hammer Station and Athiss were all pretty easy. Mandalorian Raiders was the first one where we needed some coordination for the Boarding Party which we wiped to twice.

As far as "underwhelmed" go, I wasn't looking to be blown away by low level dungeons. The looks and feel of them are great and I had a lot of fun in them.

They're very easy with good players, but I actually think they're good training fights for people that's new to this stuff. There are mechanics that you need to learn and handle, and coordination is required a few times, especially on boarding party.

I think they're good for what they are, early dungeons. I'm not underwhelmed, but I didn't have massive expectations because they're beginner stuff. :S

I thought Athiss was a little lame/easy, but I thought the others were a ton of fun. I've only done up to Raiders so far.

Also, I think instances while you're leveling, especially if you out level them a bit, should be fairly easy. It's not some heroic where you're fighting to gear up for operations, it's just a fun distraction from questing. There's no need for a lvl25 instance to be insanely difficult...besides for healing the UI makes pretty much everything difficult anyway.

I guess my biggest complaint here is that Heroic 4+ Mission feel harder than FP's. Some of the Heroic 4+ Missions on Balmorra were full of Elite's with a couple champions, and Athiss was mostly Weak/Strong mobs. Just seems kinda silly. Dungeons should be a step up in challenge from Missions IMO. I know they are both entirely optional, but a Mission feels less optional than a FP to me for some reason.

In some ways I really like it though, if I consider the Heroic Mission's the true Dungeons of the game, and usually easier to find a group for too as people are in the area questing and have it in their log, they are more likely to say sure, I'll go. So in a lot of ways it's a good thing, just unusual and not what I'm used to, again, probably a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I guess my biggest complaint here is that Heroic 4+ Mission feel harder than FP's. Some of the Heroic 4+ Missions on Balmorra were full of Elite's with a couple champions, and Athiss was mostly Weak/Strong mobs. Just seems kinda silly. Dungeons should be a step up in challenge from Missions IMO. I know they are both entirely optional, but a Mission feels less optional than a FP to me for some reason.

In some ways I really like it though, if I consider the Heroic Mission's the true Dungeons of the game, and usually easier to find a group for too as people are in the area questing and have it in their log, they are more likely to say sure, I'll go. So in a lot of ways it's a good thing, just unusual and not what I'm used to, again, probably a good thing.
    Athiss is lvl 20? Balmorra is 30+ So, you can't really compare those two. Yeah they have groups of mobs and require 4 people, but at that time (Balmorra) your gear, skills, and understanding of the game are increased.

Compare Heroic +4 Quests on Balmorra to Taral V. That's a fair comparison.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I healed the Red Reaper FP yesterday. It was amazing. Way harder than any 4 heroic mission I've done. Simply amazing.
    Every boss had a unique mechanic that was engaging and fun. Short of the last boss, oddly enough, he didn't have much going for him. He was a pushover.

I thought they were easy, but I am a seasoned player who is good at directing groups after a wipe to figure out what happened. Some of the mechanics of the fights were a lot more than I remember dealing with in early instances in other MMOs. I remember plenty of adds and moving out of fires and such things. Of course, some bosses are just tank and spank, too. I assume those were supposed to be some kind of healer check, but I am not a healer so I don't know.