Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Gurth'alak bugged?

I looted the Raid Finder version of Gurth'alak last night and have been doing some testing to see where it parses out to compared to the normal Sulfuras. I've heard really good things about the tentacle damage and the RF version out-performing Heroic 391 weapons, so I figured I would give it a shot.

I don't know if the tentacle is bugged, I can see the animation of the tentacle and I can see it channeling mind flay, but the event isn't appearing in my recount or my combat logs. Is anyone else having this issue with the proc off of Gurth'alak? I opened a ticket but the current wait time on my realm is over 4 days so I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight into what is going on with the proc off of this sword.

Deleted
    I can only see the damage if I unclick "Merge Pets /w Owners". Else it doesn't show on the person with the weapon. But it does calculate the total damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Viveras View Post
    I can only see the damage if I unclick "Merge Pets /w Owners". Else it doesn't show on the person with the weapon. But it does calculate the total damage.
    Okay I unclicked the "merge pet's w/owners" option and it shows the tentacle doing 10k dps over the course of Ultraxion?? That sounds like a ridiculous amount for the proc.

Another thing, it doesn't appear to be calculating my damage and the tentacle damage when the "Merge Pets w/Owners" option is checked, because the event doesn't show up, and my damage/dps over the course of the fight in my logs remains the same regardless of if the option is checked or not.

So to calculate the damage the proc does in comparison to normal Sulfuras, should I just leave the option unchecked and tack on the corrupter tentacle DPS onto my own?

i got mine from normal raid and i have no problems and the dmg from tentacles is idd op, hopefully won;t get nerfed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Croack View Post
    i got mine from normal raid and i have no problems and the dmg from tentacles is idd op, hopefully won;t get nerfed soon.
    Does the Mind Flay from the Corrupter Tentacle appear under your list of damaging abilities? So does it go Hand of Light > TV > CS > melee > Mind Flay? Or is it not recording the damage from the proc like that? When I have the option "Merge Pets w/Owners", the proc doesn't even show up as a pet, which the tentacle is classified as such, so I'm just wondering it it's a problem with recount or what's going on.

I use skada and it shows up just fine. Although the proc seems to be doing an absurd amount of damage at times.

Okay so I've done 5 parses of each weapon at 10 minute duration, swapping between LFR Gurth'alak and Normal Sulfuras to try and get a general idea of how strong the sword is in comparison.

From my findings, Gurth'alak makes up approximately 10-13% of total damage done dependent on luck of procs. The Mind Flay has an 8-12% crit chance and I've seen uptimes anywhere between 25-35%.

My lowest parse with Gurth'alak (25% uptime) was equal to my average parse with normal Sulfuras, coming in at 21.5k dps with no cooldowns used. My highest parse (34% uptime) showed a 2200 dps increase over normal Sulfuras, at 23.7k dps.

The proc is EXTREMELY STRONG. Worst case scenario, the weapons come out in a tie. That is, an average (5 parses at 10 minute length to determine a rough average) normal Sulfuras parse was equal to the weakest parse with LFR Gurth'alak. The strongest parse showed a 10% increase in DPS, and the tentacle scaling with %damage modifiers as well as damage taken debuffs will mean that it will scale extremely well.

So, in case anyone was wondering, LFR Gurth'alak > Normal Sulfuras.

Aparently due to crazy proc, even lfr gurhalak is upgrade over various weapons, it would be good, now when there is such a different amount of weapons and their modes (lfr, normal, hc) if someone could invest some time to make simmilar topic as we have for trinkets, because we will get alot of questions is weapon x y z better then weapon a b c, on diffcult z y x....
    I remember there was quite a lot topics only about normal sulf vs hc shannox axe, imagine how many topics will spawn now..

Quote Originally Posted by Croack View Post
    Um.. why would they nerf it? They recently BUFFED it, even.

Right now, the way weapons are going to look (my estimation) is:

H Gurth'alak > Gurth'alak > H Specimen Slicer > H Mace > H Sulfuras > LFR Gurth'alak > Normal Specimen Slicer > Normal Mace > Normal Sulfuras

Cant wait to get my hands on the normal version

I had the exact same issue as the OP. Little tentacle buddy wasn't even generating events in the combat log and certainly not showing up on ANYONE's recount. And then he was. *shrug*
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by DemaioJ View Post
    I had the exact same issue as the OP. Little tentacle buddy wasn't even generating events in the combat log and certainly not showing up on ANYONE's recount. And then he was. *shrug*
    I know the that game qualifies the tentacle as a pet, if uncheck the option on recount to merge pets w/owners, you can see the individual tentacle damage and uptime to calculate the dps values it gives you. I'm doing an LFR and have seen contributions as high as 17%. It's pretty ridiculous.

It's also the coolest looking sword they've made so far. My opinion, of course. As if that isn't obvious.

Srs. The Warrior armor (off set raid finder colors) on my DK and reg Gurth'alak... the only transmog set I'll ever need.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds more like your recount is bugged. And I cant wait for that sword. My stupid heroic Zoid's has to go!

Has anyone else noticed that on Ultraxion, you have to stand right up in the dragon's junk to get the tentacle to cast mind flay?

all of the madness weps with procs are OP as all hell.

my LFR souldrinker gives my prot warrior around 3k HPS. that as much as a DK FFS
    Last edited by herpecin; 2011-12-09 at 08:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsylton View Post
    It shows the tentacle doing 10k dps over the course of Ultraxion?? That sounds like a ridiculous amount for the proc.
    That is 10K DPS while it is attacking. I don't quite know if you understand that based on the way you phrased the above, but the low proc chance makes this 10K DPS during uptime much lower overall.

It is an excellent pve weapon, although the tentacle is close to 2% chance of spawning.

It can do up to 125k damage in raid with all buffs.

It will be useless in pvp since it can be outranged, silenced etc.

It is very unlikely to be nerfed due to low proc rate and the ease with which it can be rendered useless in pvp.

I got the Normal version and it's doing more damage then my SoT ticks when I did Madness of Deathwing. Also it won't show as your damage, you have to mouse over your name on recount and it will say it as a pet.