Question Soulbound or free to trade?

Hey guys. Does anyone know how items work in GW2? With adding stats to weapons and armor will it be "BOE, BOP" Or will it be Diablo / GW1 style where the items can be traded so long as they aren't customized? Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Going by this video, using an upgrade slot will make an item soulbound.
    That's the only soulbound trigger (I think) we've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Going by this video, using an upgrade slot will make an item soulbound.
    That's the only soulbound trigger (I think) we've seen so far.
    I knew you'd save the day Mif. As usual. Thanks a lot for the video =)

Some items would get soulbound when equipped in the game, had that in the demo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Interesting. What kind of items?

Equip-able items, you'd get a message, equipping this item will make it unable to trade, so I believe they were weapons since armor doesn't drop.

Ah bummer. I was hoping it wouldn't go that route. Weapon trading was a huge part of GW1, still is. Very good gold sink as well. People pay upwards of 500k for a single item (in ectos, of course) because of how it looks.

Another question, which maybe be another topic but hopefully it'll get an answer, there aren't attributes, right? GW1 has "req x" weapons. A sword with max damage and requires 9 swordsmanship is obviously preferable to one that has the same mods and damage but requires 12 swordsmanship. Just wondering how the weapons will work in that regard and if that's still around or not, thanks. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post
    Ah bummer. I was hoping it wouldn't go that route. Weapon trading was a huge part of GW1, still is. Very good gold sink as well. People pay upwards of 500k for a single item (in ectos, of course) because of how it looks.

Another question, which maybe be another topic but hopefully it'll get an answer, there aren't attributes, right? GW1 has "req x" weapons. A sword with max damage and requires 9 swordsmanship is obviously preferable to one that has the same mods and damage but requires 12 swordsmanship. Just wondering how the weapons will work in that regard and if that's still around or not, thanks. =)
    None that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkalafut View Post

And it still will, I said when equipping, it's not like having fun with a weapon for a few weeks and after that still make a ton of gold from it, you need to choose either to sell it or to use it.

About requirement, the only requirement weapons will have is your personal level. That's all. So say goodbye to your Req. 6/7/8 stuff.

Ok thanks for clearing that up guys. And no I must've made myself clear. I am indifferent in regards to weapons having attributes, the only thing I was not too excited about was the binding of weapons. In any case thanks again for the info.

At least in the first GW, there was no such thing as 'bind on pick-up' but there was technically BoE (if you customized weapons then it'll get a 20% damage increase and you can't trade it after that) as for how it'll work in GW2 probably a similar mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    At least in the first GW, there was no such thing as 'bind on pick-up' but there was technically BoE (if you customized weapons then it'll get a 20% damage increase and you can't trade it after that) as for how it'll work in GW2 probably a similar mechanic.
    As I explained just then, if you equip a weapon it's bound, if you don't, it's not bound. Simple as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I explained just then, if you equip a weapon it's bound, if you don't, it's not bound. Simple as that.
    If you watch part two of TotalBiscuit's PVE video, he finds a rare mace near the start and equips it, then later equips a bow instead. Further on in the video he re-equips the mace, and if you freeze the video just right, you can see that it's not soulbound when it's in his inventory despite the fact he equipped it earlier.

Any chance you could find/hint to that video with the equip/tradeable popup?

Like I said previously, it wasn't a video. I played it myself, it could fairly be that not all weapons have the soul bound stuff. But Soul Binding is surely in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said previously, it wasn't a video. I played it myself
    Actually you didn't say that

Was it from a drop or a karma vendor?
    Because you would presume that karma vendor weapons would bind.

How soulbinding works is one of the think the trainspotters at Guru haven't worked out, so it's an interesting subject

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Actually you didn't say that

Was it from a drop or a karma vendor?
    Because you would presume that karma vendor weapons would bind.

How soulbinding works is one of the think the trainspotters at Guru haven't worked out, so it's an interesting subject
    It was a drop from a random monster, just some ordinary green item. Could be different because of the demo though because I haven't read anything official about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite liked the system of being able to trade used weapons to people, while being able to have the item customized for your character and this giving a damage buff... Not so sure it will fit in with the new play style however, I'd venture to say that most things will be BoE in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylith View Post
    I quite liked the system of being able to trade used weapons to people, while being able to have the item customized for your character and this giving a damage buff... Not so sure it will fit in with the new play style however, I'd venture to say that most things will be BoE in some way.
    I think it's purely to keep the market interesting.

Could still mean you merely saw a video of the demo but good thread, nice info to know.