Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I wouldn't play SW:ToR even if it was the best MMO out there because of Star Wars. If the setting doesn't get me, it doesn't matter how good the game is. I never liked Star Wars and I'm not really a sci-fi fan, so SW:ToR was never of any interest for me.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coro View Post
    It's a two edge sword. Because it's star wars I know a few people (including my wife) who love questing and story in games but simply won't try it BECAUSE it's star wars.
    I grew up with Star Wars. And there's no way I want to go back 30 years in time. I am so sick of the whole thing. If I hear a lightsaber my ears will burn.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even though it was Star Wars I had no intention of playing this game. I am a star wars fan to an extent but I've never been into Spacey games; always preferred old style nordic dungeons and dragons. I hated Halo, hate starcraft, EVE online etc etc but I got invited to a Star Wars beta and boom. I've been hooked since.

Deleted
    Well i personally don't like SW at all, so there is no point in getting into SW:TOR.
    Doesn't matter how good this game might be it simply won't get me interested long enough.

I loved WC cause of lore, cause of enviroment cause of epicness.

Played WC1,WC2,WC3+expansion +WoW and still it is something i'd like to play, I played many others mmo but still...
    no sw:tor no GW can conquer me as much anything blizzard brought out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    [/b]

This. Normally I am interested in trying MMO's out. I have tried most of them, the good ones (If there are truly any REALLY good one), and to failgames like Rift and Aion.

But I just cant play this. I seriously wont pay for a Star Wars game. The movies are pretty great and all, but I cant play a game based on a movie. And the scifi doesnt really catch me.
    What? The game isn't based on the movie in any way shape or form. Only the background lore and premise is the same. The game takes place in an entirely different time period and focuses on a much more interesting aspect of the SW universe.

If you have never played a game based on a movie then omg, you are missing on a lot of good games. While the majority of movie based games are awful, some are amazing.

Just some examples then if you classify entire lore as movie based:

Goldeneye - Practically made the FPS multiplayer genre btw.
    LoTR 3
    Ghostbusters
    KOTOR and KOTOR2
    Battlefront 1 and 2
    Spiderman 2
    Chronicles of Riddick
    Batman: Arkham Asylum and City

Plenty of others out there but these are the ones that come to mind.

OT: If it wasn't for the Star Wars name it would be just another mmo but with some new features. Despite the fact that I'm really enjoying it, it isn't a spectacular new, revolutionary mmo that will take over as the king. It's just really solid and plays well along with the new features like voice acting.

Quote Originally Posted by z3rK View Post
    Well i personally don't like SW at all, so there is no point in getting into SW:TOR.
    Doesn't matter how good this game might be it simply won't get me interested long enough.

I loved WC cause of lore, cause of enviroment cause of epicness.

Played WC1,WC2,WC3+expansion +WoW and still it is something i'd like to play, I played many others mmo but still...
    no sw:tor no GW can conquer me as much anything blizzard brought out.
    exactly, blizzard was great, but it's not blizzard anymore. do you think activision give a damn about what blizzard wants when they got bigger things like CoD?

Deleted
    I dont agree, its a double edged sword, My buddy from wow told me he had no interest in playing a star wars game - he played the ega with me, and fell in love without from the start, it s not all about the story for some people,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    Even though it was Star Wars I had no intention of playing this game. I am a star wars fan to an extent but I've never been into Spacey games; always preferred old style nordic dungeons and dragons. I hated Halo, hate starcraft, EVE online etc etc but I got invited to a Star Wars beta and boom. I've been hooked since.
    LoL good one

I was affraid that I would have an issue putting away all my WoW habits when starting in SWTOR, however, I find SWTOR like a nice breath of air in the MMO catagory. I think its the Biowares way of telling stories I love, just like the Mass games, only one thing which anoys me, when doing group quests like Chamber of Speech, and all people not waiting for the story/roleplay to finish, you suddenly stand there alone, and have to fight your way out alone

I hope SWTOR will last for long, and I hope they will continue to update it with new features and lore.

Because I've honestly played it and I honestly don't like it simply because I honestly don't give a damn about Star Wars and everything else honestly feels like every other MMO I've already played. Honestly.

So really, the only reason I would have to play the game is if I was a Star Wars fan. Nothing against it, it's just not my thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phurox View Post
    I am interested in trying MMO's out. I have tried most of them, the good ones (If there are truly any REALLY good one), and to failgames like Rift and Aion
    Oh great Guru of all things MMO..please, enlighten me as to why you think Rift is a failgame ? if Bioware can even get 1/10th the content updates and new features that Trion push out every 6 weeks or so, they'll have a winner

I find SW is probably one of the worst, whored out IPs in the history of worst, whored out IPs ever by one of the worst story writer and director/producer/whatever. I rank it with Twillight in what it has done to our culture.

Bit of a wierd question, as I can't imagine it if it weren't themed on Star Wars. Either way the story is awesome and I quite enjoy the other elements of it.

Interesting view.

I think that Star Wars is the hook - It's what got many people excited.
    But the game play, the story, the details - they're what keep people playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sitting it out for a couple of months.

I am a huge Star Wars fan, albeit novels/comics/original trilogy (the prequel trilogy mostly sucks for me).

I am waiting because it is:

(a) Unlikely to live up to my expectations
    (b) Full of ignorant, stupid tards who don't read or care of any form of in-game text who will mostly stop playing by the time I try it

There are people that dont like star wars ? You can maybe not like scifi at all but star wars itself ? I call bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    Bit of a wierd question, as I can't imagine it if it weren't themed on Star Wars. Either way the story is awesome and I quite enjoy the other elements of it.
    If i remember correctly BioWare had decision to make about MMO RPG on which theme to pick Game of Thrones MMO, LOTR MMO and Star Wars MMO , only reason why Star Wars prevailed was because BioWare already did some work in the past with Lucas Arts in KOTOR series and tbh even tho i love SWTOR i wish i had seen BioWare style of LOTR MMO RPG (played LOTR online and just didnt suit me well)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Deleted
    As for me, i am huge SW fan, and i dont know if i would even look on mmorpg under star wars for their mmo's if i didnt like it so much. So i would be still stuck with wow proly.

The thing about SWTOR that got my attention at first, was the Star Wars universe. I started learning English when I was 3-4 years old, simply by repeating lines that was said in the first 3 movies. When I saw that the game was being developed by BioWare, I pretty much knew 90% of all the features that would be in it, and THAT was the final nail in the coffin for me. At that point I just had to order it and I haven't a shred of regret.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Quote Originally Posted by Crazycab View Post
    this game wouldn't be successful? The star wars theme is the least interesting thing about swtor. I always wanted to play an mmo that focuses on its story above all else and swtor offers that. I dont care if it was set in china, mars, africa, or whatever, I would have still been interested in a story based mmo. That is something that I always wanted to experience in WoW because of all the lore but blizz was never able to pull it off outside of cutscenes and the books. Believe it or not I got really interested with the lore and the characters in WoW and wanted to know more. I mean if you have to read there books to learn more about what happens to there characters and the loose ends then there is something wrong. It is one of the reasons I left WoW because I got tired of spending $15 a month to kill another boss that i never heard of before for more epics. I didn't care about the mounts, pets or any of that useless crap I wanted story. I don't even see how you can even call WoW an rpg now that the story is pretty much non-existent in the actual game your paying for.

AM I the only one that feels this way? I see all the time on the forums how many people hate all the story in swtor and that they just skip it and power level. That it doesn't "feel" like an mmo and more like a single player game. Well guess what, that is a good thing because it isn't an mmo. It is an mmorpg.
    Well because as Star Wars Galaxies proved, the IP is far more important than the underlying game, quality or otherwise. Now this is not the first voice acted MMO (go see EQ2 - which only didn't voice act your part but did voice act a majority of the game and had better graphics too boot for character models). The voice acting is very good in this game and combined with the IP should give it some legs. However the game has a dull classes with far too many abilities locked out on cool downs that last most all fights other than bosses (some last the length of two or more fights!), a buggy and inflexible interface, the worst talent system since WOW 1/2/3.0, and then there is the excessive to the point of punishing travel where quests and npcs are put in the most insane places where increasing travel time was far more important than story. I won't even go into the bugs which should never had made it out of all the betas before the public betas.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Because its somewhat true, (the game is excellent), but Bioware KNOWS that Star Wars will get a LOT of people in it, thats why they are paying for the name, and that they didn't just make a Mass Effect MMO of which would have no no loyalties, and an easier to expand story/
    A mass effect mmo, however, would have gotten me.. I always tell myself: WoW was your first mmorpg ever and it will be your last. Those games just eat way too much time. But a Mass Effect mmorpg? Well.. I'd at least have to reconsider my stance.