Deleted

Rotten Community

Is it just me or has the League of Legends community gotten really rotten over the last month or two?
    I've been playing constantly since the Beta, and I've seen people worry about the state of the community on the forums this year.
    I've blissfully avoided this so-called rotten community, with people flaming from start to end, whining about everything - and I do mean everything.

That is, until the last two weeks. I've begun to run into people being absolute douches, all the time. Just got a kill? Go verbally stomp your enemy in the face. Call him a noob, insult his family. Just escaped a gank? Call the enemy jungler a noob and tell him to "l2p". Some one on your team kicking ass, getting fed? He's obviously playing a "noob op char".
    And the "easy gg noobs" at the end of games... Gets me... every... time.
    I can see why people are pissed off. I've been advocating good manners, always. I just don't see why on earth people are behaving like this. Another thing I wonder is why I've avoided it, and I'm now dealing with it - that's just what I'm thinking to myself.
    Main question though, have the community just taken a step to the worse lately - 2/3 months - or is it just me that have been lucky up until now?
    Last edited by mmoc2f5baea4d2; 2011-12-25 at 01:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It has, and Riot has realized this. They're taking more measures to promote good behavior, this 450 rp just being the beginning. "gg noob" is a bannable offense according to the summoner's code if you wish to report them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    It has, and Riot has realized this. They're taking more measures to promote good behavior, this 450 rp just being the beginning. "gg noob" is a bannable offense according to the summoner's code if you wish to report them.
    No, no it is not. It's the context that people seem to be forgetting in these statements. Most of the people who say GG Noobs at the end of a game are generally speaking complete pricks, who don't just say "gg noobs". They most likely say alot of other stuff in game and try to pretend like all they said was GG Noobs, and that was why they got banned, not for the fact that they were acting like pretentious pricks throughout the game and said GG Noobs at the end of the game.

But hey, I guess acting like a rational human being and being nice to people is to much for most people. Gotta pull out the internet tough gui attitude. For whatever reason.

The worst I've experienced in LOL are racist comments or typical "boy's humor". Overall, it's been rather okay.

FWIW: I play casually- Dominion or SF. Nothing ranked or very serious beyond random games.

10+ Year Old Account
    MY personal experience says the community has degraded a lot since last years championships. My guess is the publicity drew in a lot more players and, while the percentage of mature VS immature might've remained the same, we picked up a lot more jackassery.

There certainly has been an odd air in the game lately. Liquephyre (welcome, by the way) raises a point that coincides with others, being that the championships have let the community grow and get filled with people who haven't gotten past their 'douchbag on the internet' phase. And the game is only growing from there.

We'll have to see what happens, though. Riot seems to be all about promoting community in the game and the effect (rather, the game's growth) has been a noticeable factor thereof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoloft View Post
    No, no it is not. It's the context that people seem to be forgetting in these statements. Most of the people who say GG Noobs at the end of a game are generally speaking complete pricks, who don't just say "gg noobs". They most likely say alot of other stuff in game and try to pretend like all they said was GG Noobs, and that was why they got banned, not for the fact that they were acting like pretentious pricks throughout the game and said GG Noobs at the end of the game.

But hey, I guess acting like a rational human being and being nice to people is to much for most people. Gotta pull out the internet tough gui attitude. For whatever reason.
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...89706#18789706

Saying GG noob will lead you to getting banned. Summoner's Code: "Show Humility in Victory, and Grace in Defeat." Saying GG Noobs will end up with people reporting you, and the more people that report you the more likely you are of getting banned. I report anyone who says "gg noob," no matter what they did or did not say before.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...89706#18789706

Saying GG noob will lead you to getting banned. Summoner's Code: "Show Humility in Victory, and Grace in Defeat." Saying GG Noobs will end up with people reporting you, and the more people that report you the more likely you are of getting banned. I report anyone who says "gg noob," no matter what they did or did not say before.
    As far as chat goes, people typically get banned for racial slurs and stuff like that, no one gets banned for saying noob a lot, at least in my experiences with tribunal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMog64 View Post
    As far as chat goes, people typically get banned for racial slurs and stuff like that, no one gets banned for saying noob a lot, at least in my experiences with tribunal.
    I punish anyone who says gg noob, my team or theirs. Red himself said ""gg noobs" is a terrible thing to say to someone and it is the sort of thing that would get you banned." GG noobs is the type of talk that can get you banned, don't know why people are finding this difficult to believe.

I punish anyone who says gg noob, my team or theirs. Red himself said ""gg noobs" is a terrible thing to say to someone and it is the sort of thing that would get you banned." GG noobs is the type of talk that can get you banned, don't know why people are finding this difficult to believe.
    Hm I really have no idea what I was thinking in my other post, I've been kinda on the gun recently when people mention the GG Noobs thing and I guess I misinterpreted your post. My b. But I think the the point I was making was that saying GG Noobs and nothing else wouldn't get you banned, unless of course you did it alot and people didn't like it, and most people who say it generally are assholes anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played in what feels like forever (sometime between the release of the vampire champion and the guy who reminded me of an Elder Scrolls dwemer on a spider-mech), and the community was getting pretty henky. I think I've got some pretty comedic screenshots of after-match chats where people are capslocking about raping the other team to death.

It's pretty much why I only played LoL with friends, and why my playing the game sorta trailed off after awhile. I was getting annoyed with getting told by the guy playing a munchkin dressed like an eskimo riding a yeti that playing an anthropomorphic badger-raccoon-thing that throws mushrooms "is for faggots".

10+ Year Old Account
    Forcing people to behave is not going to make the community any better.

Garbage community has always been a problem for moba games. And the more people the game
    draws the worse the community gets.

If someone gets offended from some kid saying "gg noobs" you should probably just grow a thicker
    skin or just put that guy on ignore. (assuming this is possible in LoL)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Forcing people to behave is not going to make the community any better.

Garbage community has always been a problem for moba games. And the more people the game

If someone gets offended from some kid saying "gg noobs" you should probably just grow a thicker
    Ignoring the problem isn't going to make it better either. The community of LoL has without a doubt been getting bigger. That's why Riot & the cmmunity itself has the step it up. Saintvicious trolls people n his lve streaM? Couldn't care less he's a pro LoL gamer. He breaks the rules, just like everyone else, and gets suspended/banned.

My issue with the thicker skin perspective is that I may have thick skin, but I know that thousands of other people don't. Whether they're new players or people looking to relax, they will be pushed away from LoL due to the community. I want to get rid of the type of assholes who would push them away before they get to them.

If Riot would do nothing to stop these "unfriendly players", then sooner or later they would cause normal players to leave in relatively big amounts, which then makes sure that no new normal players will join for long, which then results in the playerbase dropping down to about 1/3rd or 1/4th.
    Afterwards, because there's not enough people to play with, these "unfriendly players" set sail and advance towards the next game where they can let their emotions run free and show all those unbelievably hard sucking normal players just how much better others are and how these normal players should hit themselvers for being so incredibly bad.

On a side note, did anybody else see an increased amount of people screwing up and then blaming everyone else?
    I mean, if I screw up, I know that it's my fault because I was too agressive, didn't ward at the right place, yadda yadda.
    But if someone pushes top-lane right up to the tower, is at 40% health and then dies to the gank, it's suddenly my fault[jungler] because I didn't ward the river and didn't come to help him?
    And if the AD carry at bot is unable to dodge 19 out of 20 of Corki's rockets, all fired at near max range... it's the fault of the support that Bot-lane is losing?

What Riot could do is something like swtor has. As in an MVP vote at the end of the battle. Winner gets 10 more IP and maybe every month the top 100 gets free RP?
    Juza you can put people on mute, press O and click the bubble behind thier name.
    Ours not to make reply. Ours not to reason why. Ours but to do and die!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post

In my experience, and what I was trying to get at with my previous post is; this type of behavior isn't selective to a certain genre- it's more of the Internet Community, the anonymity, that breeds this. I believe the ratio of mature/immature doesn't change much however the population can increase in size tremendously at which point you're more likely, in this game for example, end up with 2+jackasses, on your team, in a match.

One thing I'm curious about in your statement is - You say the Moba community is garbage. And then contend the community will grow and continue to be garbage. If these people, who come in at a time to help the community grow, randomly appear would you consider them part of another community before coming to moba's? Are they, once they join, permanently to be considered MobaGarbage in every other community they join? Or maybe they're a member of this MobaGarbage before they join?

I'm really not trying to be a jackass and I'm definitely not trollin you. My real point in those questions is whether you might be able to specify at which point any member of any internet community might find themselves astray in their allegiances. I'd also make the suggestion, again, this isn't a Moba problem, its not a Blizzard problem or any other companies problem; these are issues they try to deal with which the internet anonymity breeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortezu View Post
    What Riot could do is something like swtor has. As in an MVP vote at the end of the battle. Winner gets 10 more IP and maybe every month the top 100 gets free RP?
    Juza you can put people on mute, press O and click the bubble behind thier name.
    I like this idea, positive reinforcement. I'm not a big fan of punishment schedules (bans, etc) seeing as I feel it only furthers the negative bond between that player and their community. Per example; Get banned for trolling on my level30 so I'll make endless smurf accts with which I'll express my anger by trolling harder. Thereby griefing more players in the process, which might provoke others into trolling through frustration, and further degrading the community itself. Positive reinforcement is good

Also, ignoring people has saved me a ton of frustration I'm sure. There's been more than a few times where I've ignored everyone on my team before minions spawn.... Sure that sucks for its own reasons although I'm positive I had a better game experience for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if solo queueing then. It's too easy to manipulate when queueing as a group.

(I was just reading old posts since I am at work and bored :P ).

The honor system has sorted this issue mostly... here and there, there are some trolls but nothing new.. just report them at the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thread is nearly a year old. There is already a thread about the honor system too. Don't necro threads.