Gearing up; Prot

Yo. So I recently hit 85 and am gearing up my horde toon. I'm grinding through my justice gear as best as I can (although it's taking forever, I'm top single target dps in a lot of my runs T.T) and next week I'm going to be hitting 2.2k valor for the first time, and I'm wondering what I should be picking up? I'm just hitting the point where I can hit the random HoT heroics and will soon be able to hit raid finder, and I know especially for certain classes, there's certain pieces you just don't want to pick up, some pieces you'll replace really fast, etc. I'm not very knowledgeable about such things, so I'm here asking people who are. Thanks for any responses and Merry christmas (or other non denominational winter solstice holiday of your choosing)!

Well, as far as my guild's warriors have gone with valor, they've gotten their cloaks and then their necks and thrown weapons, since those don't drop in Dragon Soul and therefore you won't replace them for a while. After that... well imo the trinket looks good, and then getting non-tier-slot items would probably be the best idea after that, starting with the ring. But once you've gotten your cloak, neck, and thrown weapon, it's really a game of what you need most and whether or not you're expecting to get tier armor.

Hopefully that's helpful in some way shape or form, and Merry Christhanukkahmas!

Well, I feel like while the cloak may be something you're not going to replace super fast, every warrior tank has a pretty comparable cloak a few hours after they ding, so it's not really a huge upgrade (unless you were already wearing all top end stuff, then the difference might be negligible. Same with thrown and the JP thrown wep, it's very close stat wise.

Deleted
    As others stated, the neck, cloak and thrown are BiS ... but as youre "starter" tank and gearing up I would buy http://www.wowhead.com/item=77117 Fire of the Deep. Not many mastery trinkets outside raids.

Deleted
    I'd wait a week and get the cloack and trinket first.The cloack BIS as said above and the trinket is outa control for fights with a lot of physical damage,you might end up using it even with close to BIS gear.
    Last edited by mmoc53495deb40; 2011-12-25 at 10:49 AM.

Trinket, ring & neck first. The 5man heroic cloak and the ranged gun from the quest rewarrd in that 5man are very decent, vp cloak and ranged weapon will just be a small upgrade from those. For the rest I would just aim for pieces from LFR, crafted wrists & boe boots are good if you have the money for it

Get the offset pieces from Valor as others have stated (cloak first then thrown then neck). As for trinkets, Impetuous Query is still fantastic to use while gearing up as you're closing in on that 102.4%

Trinket first hands down. It's really good for prot warriors. Better then the one drops from Zon'Ozz.

Neck, cloak and ranged are all horrible picks. For neck get Heroic Firegorget, for cloak get PVP cloak, for ranged get that 5 man quest gun. When you have valor to burn, you can look into them.

First, get trinket, ring and waist depending what give you better upgrades.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kopcap View Post
    Neck, cloak and ranged are all horrible picks. For neck get Heroic Firegorget, for cloak get PVP cloak, for ranged get that 5 man quest gun. When you have valor to burn, you can look into them.

First, get trinket, ring and waist depending what give you better upgrades.
    He asked about STARTER pieces since he's fresh 85. I doubt he'll be doing H DS any time soon to get any heroic gear. Comparing the stuff he has access to the valor neck is a very good choice but will be replaced but still a good choice.