Poll: Can Guild Wars 2 be improved?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

How can GW2 be improved?

So, like the title says: What can be added/changed/removed from GW2 to make it a better game based on what we have seen so far.

maybe if i actually played the game, i could make an informed opinion....

10+ Year Old Account
    Make this thread when we have tried the actual game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for starters i'd like some things clarified first more so than anything...theres not one thing i personally am not liking about it atm...however some areas i'd love to be clarified are things like people disliking the instant travel system, however it doesn't reward exploring achievements or anything and i have heard you need to explore those places once before you can fast travel...there seems to be confusion there...secondly i'd like cleared up is how are the "raids" going to function are they all instanced? all world bosses? i understand that you can have up to 200+ people etc etc you all get loot for it etc etc...what im interested in is do you have the option to say hey i'd prefer to not join this 100+ people one and instead take it on with my 30 guildies etc?... i hope they keep no flying mounts i never want to see a single flying mount touch that fucking game...lol...um...i hope they add some little features that may or may not get overlooked simple things like an auction house search function which swtor failed with...is there even AH?!?!? lol i don't know actually but it just reminded me of little features which makes big difference...my biggest concern and the thing i'm hanging to hear cleared up is how they plan on releasing the game i said HOW not WHEN......i personally believe that swtor's release was the biggest fail ever...i don't want to see " early access " crap...i also don't want to see "your region can't buy the fucking game " ( i live in australia )... and lastly the number one thing ... i want to know how they plan to handle the flood for their website servers etc...most mmo's seem to really suck first 72 hours due to the sheer numbers... hell i don't even know if anything CAN be done about it...but im hoping they can somewhat accurately estimate how many they expect and actually provide servers for that.

I haven't heard anything about achievements, they should add those.

Oh wait.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/guild-...opment-update/
    Achievements

• Achievements are long-term goals with purely cosmetic rewards.
    • Daily achievements are short-term, easy-to-complete goals that reward you with gold and experience.
    • Monthly achievements are medium-term goals that encourage a variety of play and reward you with gold and experience.
    • Titles can be earned by completing certain achievement tracks.
    But honestly, I haven't tried the game so I can't say what to improve, so far it looks damn good and I am happy whenever it comes out. :3
    Hi

Only F&F and closed beta players can tribute to this thread. If they want to break the NDA and not be able to play anymore.

Great thread!

Allthough, Gw2 looks amazing. No game is ever perfect but Gw2 looks like it's close.

http://www.gw2sverige.se - The Swedish Community Site, amazing people there! Go and be active on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TordFish View Post
    Only F&F and closed beta players can tribute to this thread. If they want to break the NDA and not be able to play anymore.

Great thread!

Allthough, Gw2 looks amazing. No game is ever perfect but Gw2 looks like it's close.

http://www.gw2sverige.se - The Swedish Community Site, amazing people there! Go and be active on the forums.
    Yeah, probably would. If it wasn't in Swedish...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sackman View Post
    Yeah, probably would. If it wasn't in Swedish...
    Get google chrome and translate the page?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadzta View Post
    Well for starters i'd like some things clarified first more so than anything...theres not one thing i personally am not liking about it atm...however some areas i'd love to be clarified are things like people disliking the instant travel system, however it doesn't reward exploring achievements or anything and i have heard you need to explore those places once before you can fast travel...there seems to be confusion there...
    You need to discover a waypoint before you can travel there.

secondly i'd like cleared up is how are the "raids" going to function are they all instanced? all world bosses? i understand that you can have up to 200+ people etc etc you all get loot for it etc etc...what im interested in is do you have the option to say hey i'd prefer to not join this 100+ people one and instead take it on with my 30 guildies etc?...
    Instanced dungeons are 5 mans, world bosses are anyone who is around.

i hope they keep no flying mounts i never want to see a single flying mount touch that fucking game...lol...
    There aren't flying mounts in GW2, or ground mounts for that matter.

um...i hope they add some little features that may or may not get overlooked simple things like an auction house search function which swtor failed with...is there even AH?!?!?
    There is an AH called the Marketplace.
    You can sell, buy, and place auto-buy orders. You can search and there will be a way to view price history.

my biggest concern and the thing i'm hanging to hear cleared up is how they plan on releasing the game i said HOW not WHEN......i personally believe that swtor's release was the biggest fail ever...i don't want to see " early access " crap...i also don't want to see "your region can't buy the fucking game " ( i live in australia )...
    They haven't released region details yet, but considering you could play GW1 with anyone from any region, ArenaNet would have to deal with a lot of angry people if they go the region lock route.

i want to know how they plan to handle the flood for their website servers etc...most mmo's seem to really suck first 72 hours due to the sheer numbers... hell i don't even know if anything CAN be done about it...but im hoping they can somewhat accurately estimate how many they expect and actually provide servers for that.
    For obvious reasons we don't know yet.
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-12-26 at 01:41 PM.

Deleted
    Hard to say what can be improved, purely based on a few game convention vids. We know nothing about so many things so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me on this one, leveling should be removed.

Say im level cap and your just starting out in the low teens.
    You can group with me and run stuff with me at my level by being temp leveld up called sidekicking.
    While your sidekicked you still gain exp to your real level.

So what would stop you from only playing with ppl who can sidekick you?
    And do level cap end game stuff until your really end level?

Get rid of leveling and just make monsters stronger and stronger as ppl move through zones.
    And fight them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

You can group with me and run stuff with me at my level by being temp leveld up called sidekicking.

Get rid of leveling and just make monsters stronger and stronger as ppl move through zones.
    And fight them.
    Leveling just offers minor restrictions. One restriction is not feeling overwhelmed from the get go at level 1, via skills or just the massive game you are in. It also gives the player the feel of progressing and making their character how they want to.

Levels are less impacting in Guild wars 2 then traditional MMO's
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

And fight them.
    i felt compelled to make a new thread so we can discuss leveling. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    i felt compelled to make a new thread so we can discuss leveling. =)
    It would not go far because of the little information we have however taken from the wiki:
    Level progression is not geometric or exponential compared to most other games in the genre. The amount of time and/or effort required to gain levels stays constant throughout the process.

Deleted
    But leveling is a very fundamental "carrot" on a stick" mechanic. It works very well and I wouldn't want to see it removed. (it even works in games like Battlefield 3, even though it doesn't really make you more powerful, it just adds more options).

My only concerns:

1. I know this has been debated to death and I have no intention of continuing that debate, but I still don't like the instant-travel feature. I'd much prefer a regular mount system.

2. Portals between zones: I love the fact that Azeroth is a seamless world. Having loading screens and portals between zones is a technical necessity, but it ruins immersion.

3. With ""only" 10+5 abilities per character, most of which will involve some sort of damage-dealing, I'm not sure the skill-cap will be quite as high as I had hoped.

4. Lack of "anti inflation" mechanisms: Based on hearsay, ANet seems to be reluctant to add much in the way of "gold sinks" into the game. No repair bills and not much in the way of reoccurring costs might result in gold being either meaningless or inflating at an excessive rate.

5. Too little "punishing" mechanisms: In order for success to be meaningful, failure has to be a possibility. And in order for failure to feel like a failure, we need "punishing" mechanisms. Yet ANet seems to insist on only adding "fun" elements to their game while removing all the "punishing" stuff. I fear we might end up with a game in which success feels meaningless and irrelevant, similar to how it currently feels in WoW outside of heroic raids.

Now let me just say that I've read and watched almost all of the relevant GW2 information out there and that I've debated each of these issues extensively on these boards. They are purely my opinion based mostly on hearsay and conjecture. So unless you have some new information or insight, please don't insist on lecturing me on the fallacies of my views.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    5. Too little "punishing" mechanisms: In order for success to be meaningful, failure has to be a possibility. And in order for failure to feel like a failure, we need "punishing" mechanisms. Yet ANet seems to insist on only adding "fun" elements to their game while removing all the "punishing" stuff. I fear we might end up with a game in which success feels meaningless and irrelevant, similar to how it currently feels in WoW outside of heroic raids.
    what is an example of a "punishing" mechanism?

---------- Post added 2011-12-26 at 10:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    3. With ""only" 10+5 abilities per character, most of which will involve some sort of damage-dealing, I'm not sure the skill-cap will be quite as high as I had hoped.
    i thought there were only 10 ability per character? how did u get the other 5?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Questar View Post
    i thought there were only 10 ability per character? how did u get the other 5?
    Weapon swaps.

Deleted
    it can be improved it it's released NOW!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekko View Post
    The game is far from perfect.

Can't wait for it to come out so I can read the whines. Does appear to have a small strong playerbase who will defend it by any means

GW1 was terrible, how did it even get a playerbase?
    So instead of trolling this thread why don't you contribute as to why GW2 is 'far from perfect'. Give GW2 fans something to defend at least.

You can say the same for WoW, weapon swapping and reacting on a dime will require some practice however in WoW some classes don't even use that many skills in PvE or PvP or nor do they have some kind of skill requirement (arcane mages for one example).

4. Lack of "anti inflation" mechanisms: Based on hearsay, ANet seems to be reluctant to add much in the way of "gold sinks" into the game. No repair bills and not much in the way of reoccurring costs might result in gold being either meaningless or inflating at an excessive rate.
    Is that really a bad thing though? I don't see inflating happening unless a high demand for a certain item. Even so gold will still feel less useful so why collect mass amounts of it?