Page 1 of 2
LastLast

rift has a lot of dungeons!

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw all the dungeons rift has available.

5 man dungeons:

* 11 normal dungeons

* 5 tier 1 dungeons

* 7 tier 2 dungeons

* three 1-2 man (solo) chronicle dungeons

76 bosses in these dungeons

* 6 raids with 33 raid bosses

thats incredible! the game's only been out for 9 months... in 6 months wow comes out with 1 raid, 7 bosses
    Last edited by woosheee; 2012-01-09 at 11:22 AM.

The game has been in development for many years.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    thats true I guess. I don't know how long it took to develop what they have, how long they were working on it before release. I know its 1 month, maybe 1.5 months between patches, last patch had 11 bosses. I think 11 bosses a month is pretty good. theres another patch in a week or two.

true, they were working on development for longer than 9 months, but thats the entire game, all the zones, quests, etc. compare it to revamping azeroth, and still rift has more zone content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure the game was in devolpement for some time, many of latest content updates have been done from the ground up nothing recently was "already made" I'm pretty certain that the River of Souls raid patch was done before release and anything beyond that had little or no pre-release development. Data mining and released information supports that the new content was actually new content. A new game engine and design also helps push out content faster and you don't hear the old "That can't be done" or "we don't have the resources" line which could be an actual valid statement on older game engine which was compiled a decade ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still, it's rather impressive. Pitty I couldn't get into it (as in, the game just didn't appeal enough to me), seems like a good game.

Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime ^^

Do so d3v. I do not play it anymore but the endgame experience from a difficulty standpoint was fantastic when i played it. Gilded Prophecy is one of the best short 10man raids i have ever done. But thats just cause i love the setting and style of the bosses i suppose...
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsidedj View Post
    Just wondering, what does this have to do with anything? most MMO's have been in development for years, but still with release, and 9 month's later, rift has more content then probably any other MMO of it's age.

And yes it is pretty incredible.

Note sure if it's fair to count the same zone 3-4 times. It's a bit like Guild Wars 2 claiming 32 dungeons... but only 8 actual dungeon zones.

Deleted
    As far as I can tell in its first 9 months WoW had 191 dungeon and raid bosses spread over 22 to 31 dungeons and raids depending on if you group things like SM together. So RIFT has won by 1 instance, but lost by 82 bosses

RIFT needs to keep that up for the next 7 years before I'm impressed. If they also start to run out of ideas, reuse old designs, keep bringing Kael'thas back... well WoW's already been there and done that, and 6 years before them.

Also, if were merely talking "availability" and not "relevance" and stop the fair comparison of launch to launch, then WoW has a little under 500 dungeon and raid bosses available over just short of 100 dungeons and raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Note sure if it's fair to count the same zone 3-4 times. It's a bit like Guild Wars 2 claiming 32 dungeons... but only 8 actual dungeon zones.
    I think its fair, when you consider dungeons like deepstrike mines has as much of the dungeon expanded for expert. so really that is 2 dungeons. you have more bosses and more dungeon. some dungeons are only a couple extra bosses, in the same dungeon, true, but if you compare the size and content of the dungeons, its more than the standard, for example, wow. not only do you have area, but you have volume too. most dungeons have multiple floors! other MMO's thinking of wow specifically because its the most recent I've played before rift has hallways, seriously. not only is it a short hallway, you run back and forth, use a portal, but you have no choice which way you want to go, at least in deepstrike mines you can fall down into spiders, darkening deeps you can go up for wild mages or down the ramp, granted you can't jump off the ramp. cadeceus rise is huge, you can take different paths and shortcut, definitely not a hallway.

though if you compare to MMO's that claim they have regular and heroic and its the same exact dungeon, mobs have more health, well there you have it. ulduar was nice and I think rift's dungeons are ulduar quality, though that was raid and had a lot more resources.

I think its unfair to say 8 zones, when all the expert modes have more dungeon, some have twice as much dungeon content. thats really unheard of in todays MMO's so how does it compare to starwars? haven't played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charith View Post
    As far as I can tell in its first 9 months WoW had 191 dungeon and raid bosses spread over 22 to 31 dungeons and raids depending on if you group things like SM together. So RIFT has won by 1 instance, but lost by 82 bosses

RIFT needs to keep that up for the next 7 years before I'm impressed. If they also start to run out of ideas, reuse old designs, keep bringing Kael'thas back... well WoW's already been there and done that, and 6 years before them.

Also, if were merely talking "availability" and not "relevance" and stop the fair comparison of launch to launch, then WoW has a little under 500 dungeon and raid bosses available over just short of 100 dungeons and raids.
    Your numbers for what was available at launch in WoW are way off. Neither do I think that this pissing contest should include outdated content. Frankly who cares, there is more than enough content available in RIFT, let's leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charith View Post

I haven't counted the bosses at vanilla release, I agree there were a bunch, a lot of instances as well, I compare current content, because its reflective of the amount of resources they have available in today's economy. theres a lot more MMO competition as well. when wow came out, the competition was text based games and everquest. like tarien said, this isn't a pissing contest, but I was shocked by how much rift offers in so little time. I think you could compare game release to game release, but then have to consider that wow has income from warcraft 1, 2, 3 and a ton of lore already written. so models can be used from the campaigns, such as murlocs, ogres, drakes, the orc clans, etc.

when wow launched, it sold out right away because text gamers could now play in 3D! lol, so it make a lot of development income there, not to mention warcraft 1, 2, 3 made a lot of resources and lore to boost the game out of the gates, in fact all the dungeons are premised from the campaigns in warcraft RTS, except pandas, but thats another story

if you played the RTS you remember the ogres and deathwing, the kirin tor, illidan, lady vash'j, kiljaeden, kael'thas, blackrock clan, arthas, pretty much every dungeon was themed around the pre-existing lore in the campaigns, and you played as them or allied with their bases.

for rift to compete with that, and in some areas have more content than a game that had already been around for years.

dungeons are more than just coding, there's lore and story, conceptual idea development, this takes time, if you want to say wow had been around for 9 years since before its launch, then I guess it had 9 years and 9 months to develop its story, dungeons, raids, lore, and it had millions of dollars to start with

Quote Originally Posted by woosheee View Post
    I think its fair, when you consider dungeons like deepstrike mines has as much of the dungeon expanded for expert. so really that is 2 dungeons.<snip>
    Eeehh. I dunno, man. Some Experts and MMs are barely expanded (IT, LH, RotF, DD). And they are all still the same zone. MMs are the worst of it; MM: DSM, MM: DD, MM: CR... yea.

Quote Originally Posted by woosheee View Post
    5 man dungeons:

* 11 normal dungeons

* 5 tier 1 dungeons

* 7 tier 2 dungeons

* three 1-2 man (solo) chronicle dungeons

* 6 raids with 33 raid bosses
    Just fyi, all but one of those 12 tier 1/2 dungeons are repeats (heroics, some with a extra boss or 2) of the 11 normal dungeons. The 3 chronicles are rehashes of early (now all but obsolete) raids, part of those 6 raids. "6 raids" includes both 10 and 20 man raids. 10/20 are different/separate raids (think zg, kara, za), but the 'equivalent' 10 man is usually at least a month behind the 20, and not exactly 'equivalent' in reward, difficulty, or community opinion.
    Last edited by openair; 2012-01-10 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    but the 'equivalent' 10 man is usually at least a month behind the 20, and not exactly 'equivalent' in reward, difficulty, or my opinion.
    FTFY.

Actually those ten mans tend to be quite well itemised. Not sure about the latest one as I haven't been, but I remember there being a few BiS items from Drowned Halls and Guilded Prophecy (pre-Hammerknell BiS, that is).

They're fun, they're challenging, they're some place new to go. Beats redoing the same bosses in the same instance with virtually the same mechanics.

As for the rest, yeah the levelling dungeons scale to max level as experts, it's kind of expected tbh and definitely a convention among all the triple A+ MMOs atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    FTFY.
    Because 'not exactly equivalent' was such a reach...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to stress quality over quantity in this case. Rift was fine and all, but many aspects of the game felt clunky. In particular, collision detection, movement, ranger abilities, things of that nature. To be fair though, I only played to level 45 with my included 30 day subscription, then quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowreach View Post
    I'm going to stress quality over quantity in this case. Rift was fine and all, but many aspects of the game felt clunky. In particular, collision detection, movement, ranger abilities, things of that nature. To be fair though, I only played to level 45 with my included 30 day subscription, then quit.
    Those types of problems need to be looked at in the context of a less than 1 year old MMO. WoW at this age had many of the same sort of issues. These things while annoying will get ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Those types of problems need to be looked at in the context of a less than 1 year old MMO. WoW at this age had many of the same sort of issues. These things while annoying will get ironed out.
    The problem with that perspective is that while bugs are to be expected, a lot of issues are simply a lack of insight. When a new game comes out with avoidable issues that an existing competitor has already solved, that game should absolutely be judged for it.

It may still be a fine game in spite of such things, and I'm not saying those need to be some sort of absolute judgment, but why accept games that aren't overall advancing the industry? MMOs are stagnant enough without giving new releases a pass when they actually regress.

That said, I really think Rift would have done far better if they'd polished the art and animations further. Something about them just ruined the entire experience for me, and I didn't even stick through my free month.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    The problem with that perspective is that while bugs are to be expected, a lot of issues are simply a lack of insight. When a new game comes out with avoidable issues that an existing competitor has already solved, that game should absolutely be judged for it.

It may still be a fine game in spite of such things, and I'm not saying those need to be some sort of absolute judgment, but why accept games that aren't overall advancing the industry? MMOs are stagnant enough without giving new releases a pass when they actually regress.

That said, I really think Rift would have done far better if they'd polished the art and animations further. Something about them just ruined the entire experience for me, and I didn't even stick through my free month.
    Just because company "A" has fixed an issue does not mean you can expect every game released from then on to be devoid of that issue. Games run a different engines and thus I assume fixing issues may involve different means from game to game.

Personally in regards to your second statement. I think Rift is the the only MMO to offer any thing different from the competitors.

As for the last point I just started playing and have noticed nothing in game currently that has put me off in such a way.