what if server economies were closed loops

just a what if.

What if all the gold dropped by bosses/mobs, vendor buy back prices, Auction house cuts, every server side gold transaction, had a fixed pool to draw from... eliminate inflation from the economy.

People that had gold and quit would be an issue, slowly drawing gold out of the active market. maybe introduce a steady stream of gold to offset this.

Just thinking out loud.

My bet is that you'd have a few hoarders ruin the whole economy. It would be really tough to start a new character.

My fear would be that the potential deflation would be worse than the inflation.

O my goodness!! Such a thought can move the world upside down!!

Nice concept but flawed. A few smart hoarders could bring down the economy if they wanted to, severe issues based off of server population(Illidan Horde and Chogall Alliance as a severe compare/contrast), and people quitting as you said.

Lets say theres a server bank, if you repair gold goes to the bank, if you kill a boss/vendor stuff or complete a Quest it comes from the bank.
    The first couple of weeks people have gold and prices will stay the same, eventually prices will drop because people dont buy stuff any more, people cant make Vials of the sands or choppers and the rich people wont be able to spend gold any more.

A newly leveling toon (lets say no rich main) wont be able to gather enough gold to buy glyphs or mounts and thus this system wont work xD
    Currently as what im seeing on my realm; Theres a small bunch of people with 300k gold ish making 10-20k per day theres a small amount of people with alot more gold and the majority has troubles buying their gems/enchants etc.
    The problem is if you give these people each 5k gold they run through that in no-time, buying potion of illusion or quest items or gems for 200g when they can buy uncutted gems for 100g and let them cut by a JC....

A gold pool for a certain daily quest hub could be an interesting idea. Lets say sunwell dailys you gain extra rep and a bag if theres no money available

Deleted
    Is it really neccessary? Gold is still useful for the large majority of players. I do know people with 1mil+ gold, but that's really not common.

People suggest fixes for in-game economy all the time, but is it needed? I know there's a huge inflation at the moment, but what's the problem? If you want gold, you can play a bit at the AH, since everyone have a lot of gold. You don't have to farm anything, there are bots doing that for you, putting stuff up on the AH.

All in all, the economy is quite nice at the moment in my opinion. You make gold easily by playing the AH, you get items easily by buying them from the AH. The bots makes money from selling stuff they're botting together. Everybody wins.

not a fix, just a fun little RP idea.

Luckily no one "retires" in WoW, and we dont owe any money to foreign governments on which we have to pay interest, so inflation doesnt have too much of an impact, but it would still be kinda fun to see it more closely mirror a real economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantino View Post
    not a fix, just a fun little RP idea.

Luckily no one "retires" in WoW, and we dont owe any money to foreign governments on which we have to pay interest, so inflation doesnt have too much of an impact, but it would still be kinda fun to see it more closely mirror a real economy.
    Then, we'd likely all be screwed!

I think its fine how it is..... people who do it right have gold.. and those who dont, dont..

Personally, if i wanted to get rich, i could, but since i work fulltime, and have around 5 toons im always doing things on, i only bother going for gold when i need it majorly for something.

i dont see that being a fix for anything. personaly it would let people like me ( when i dont like server prices i simply buy up all the supply untill demand pushes prices to a number i like, then slowly allow supply back into the market for a nice profit ). if you wanted gold you would have to come to the people who own it ( people like me who can easly aford to controll it at the start )

this is how real world economy works. government has X amount of money. Y number of people make X amount of cash and place that cash in a closed market ( stocks for example ) that cash then is no longer in cerculation to a normal person and so the amount of money made available is lowered, so the poor people simply dont have the ability to collect that money unless they find a way to become the rich person. and in a normal economy that means getting money to start a buisiness.

the sad fact is that is the reason rich get richer and poor stay poor. the rich controll the ( what i call closed ) markets and play them for profit and the poor simply cant compete since the amount of money just isnt being put into cerculation.

what keeps that from happening to the same extent ( it does happen just not as badly ) is that anyone can make the gold to get started in wow. you just need to know how to do it, however in real life that ( startup capital ) is much much harder to come by and so it just dosnt happen.

as proven by a real world economy the end result of a limited money sytem ( only alowing X amount of money into the market at any given time ) will result in a class system ( rich vs poor ). now dont get me wrong, i have no problems with rich being rich, i mean afterall they did put in the effort to find a way to brake threw the brick wall standing in the way. im on the border of braking down that wall myself so lets hope it goes well .

a perfect example would be this

in wow, you can farm ore and sell it to make the gold to level jc and alchemey to start playing the gem market to make millions. ( as i do )

in real life you have to find a seed company ( a company that requires very little start up capital inorder to "seed" your main buisiness ventures ) when you find the seed company you need to start and grow that one over a few years beffor it will yeald the profits needed to start your other buisiness, once you reach that number however and you are able to start the other businiess you will notice that your profits will climbe exponentially, soon you will be playing with $100,000 start another business and that starts to yeald profits so that $100,000 becomes $200,000 and so on and so forth. most poeple who have millions own or run multiple companies and play the stock markets threw stock brokers.

fact of the matter is, real life is a pain to make millions in so why would you want to make wow the same way.

to answer your question if you didnt understand what im saying

wows economy allows for anyone to start and make large amounts of gold
    if you make it a real world economy it simply wont allow for a normal player to brake into a new income braket.
    Last edited by meliancill; 2012-01-08 at 05:16 AM.