Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pokemon Gold. Nothing has ever given me such powerful nostalgia over ten years later.

im very old but if i had to mention the two most important games i'd say space invaders and Quake.

space invaders because it was the iconic first video game in the zeitgeist. yes i know about Pong and all that but it was "space invaders" used as a generic term that most people referred to when these things first appeared among the common folk. as such it signals the point at which video games first entered the wider public consciousness.

Quake because, quite simply, it is the daddy of all modern 3D gaming. John Carmack solved problems associated with rendering of 3d and the storing of 3 dimensional spaces as binary files with that game that directly led to what we have today (not to mention games like both Portal 2, MW3 and hundreds of others are direct descendants)
    Last edited by sleekit; 2011-12-27 at 09:32 PM.
    Mannoroth nodded. "The warrior shows much promise... I would see more of his kind, learn their potential..." WoTA

gee thx Brox...

I was born in the 70's and grew up on gaming in the 80's so for my generation I would say Super Mario Brothers (Adventure), Zelda (Action), and Final Fantasy (RP) were the water shed games.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I'm from the 16 bits generation.

While I think that Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of the best games ever made, I like Sega Genesis better than Super Nintendo. Streets of Rage and Sonic were so good, it's a shame those series was lost (Sonic Generation is terrible - my opinion - and Fighting Force... damn god, whata crap...).
    Same here. The sports games on Genesis were far superior. Unfortunately, there was a dearth of good RPGs for that system, so Shining Force and Shining Force 2 sit at the top of my list.

If we're talking in general, since generations are usually considered around 25 years, GTA 3 came out when I was only 23, so I guess that would count, right? GTA 3, to me, is the best video game of all time followed by Super Mario Bros.

Deleted
    Hmm, tough one.
    During a quite short period, there were many games that were really awesome. In the local internet cafes we were slaughtering each other in Quake 1, Carmageddon 1 and NFS 2. After those the age of HL/Counterstrike and Diablo came.
    For solo fun Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Little Big Adventure, MDK in my "golden age of gaming"

Deleted
    got to be Goldeneye 64, got to be the best console fps I played.

4 person split screen so fun.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, A Link to the Past.
    Why do you always beat me to it?

Halo without a doubt. One of the most well known game series in history.

Super Nintendo ....Mario World

10+ Year Old Account
    The Legend of Zelda (Original), Final Fantasy (Original), and a game for the Sega-CD called Snatcher....Proof that games didn't need to have supreme graphics to be good. The era of a good story was all that was needed.

Deleted
    Probably Sonic or Pokémon, remember kids going crazy for Pokémon cards when I was at school :P

I was a 90's kid. For me, it was Super Mario Land on the Gameboy, and later Rayman Junior on the PC.

pokemon red/blue/yellow or Zelda OoT

Probably a tie between Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye. Damn, N64 games are/were awesome, they way outlast anything PS1 put out.

I'm surprised at the lack of pokemon in this thread.

Top three are pokemon, mario, and zelda. Zelda would be in third, with mario and pokemon battling out for #1.

P.S. this is obviously game series, not a single game.

Deleted
    Tetris on the oldest gameboy ever! it was awesome.

one of the most popular games of my childhood : hard choice, but i'd vote for Secret of Mana
    one of my most favourite games of all time : Heroes of Might & Magic III, which i've spent countless hours playing with some friends.

Deleted
    Pokemon, Baldurs Gate, Ultimate Soccer Manager '98.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 12:13 AM ----------

oh an Metal Gear Solid 3...

Half-Life and all its modifications(Counter-Strike) and spinoffs(Blue Shift, Opposing Force).

Spyro, also.