Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Processor Speed Help

Not sure where to put this....

I play on an Alienware MX15 with a 1.76 I7 processor. I have 8 gb Ram and an AMD 2 gb 6970 Video card. I'm looking to upgrade my processor to something faster so when I'm in crowded zones, my framerate stays higher. I play with (mostly) maxed settings and I usally see 30-35 FPS in Raids but it can vary. Anyone have any suggestions for an upgraded processor? The Alienware is only a year old and is easy to work on.
    Thanks in advance.
    Vastius

Deleted
    You don't change CPUs in laptops, you buy a new one - that's why Dell and co are so happy that they're so popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moved To Computer Build Help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    You don't change CPUs in laptops, you buy a new one - that's why Dell and co are so happy that they're so popular.
    well, you can replace a cpu on a laptop - its not soldered onto the board or something. a dell technician wont do anything else if something breaks.

granted, it's a bit more of a pain and i wouldnt do it unless needed...

Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    well, you can replace a cpu on a laptop - its not soldered onto the board or something.
    Only on about 1% of laptops, Alienware M15 being one of the very few exceptions where CPU and GPU are not soldered directly to the motherboard.

Should be safe to change it to any CPU that was option when you bought the laptop originally, but finding low power laptop models could be difficult and expensive.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    well, you can replace a cpu on a laptop - its not soldered onto the board or something. a dell technician wont do anything else if something breaks.

granted, it's a bit more of a pain and i wouldnt do it unless needed...
    I said don't not can't. Laptop CPUs are prohibitively expensive and it's generally not worth the effort.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, It's true you can replace. I guess the Alienware fans around here are few and far between...It's easier to swap on my laptop than it is on a desktop LOL. Six screws total I think. It's more like a desktop than an average laptop. Anyway thanks everyone that replied.