10+ Year Old Account

Using an Xbox 360 controler on a PC?

I have been trying to use the xbox 360 controller ( http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...3100/list.true ) with my PC all day. I plugged it in, and downloaded the software. I know that in someway it is connected to my PC because when I press the guide button, a small tab opens onscreen telling me the batteries in the controller are fully charged, however whenever I start a game, the mouse + keyboard are still in control. I spent 3+ hours on the phone with microsoft support and was transferred 9 times and received no help. What am I missing? Thanks (BTW I am trying to play Skyrim via steam)
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Setting Up Your Wired Xbox 360 Controller for Your PC

First of all you want to download the software from Microsoft which will allow you to use your wired Xbox 360 controller to play PC games. You can find it at Microsoft Downloads.

Just fill in the relevant details, download the file and install it on your PC.

Some versions of Windows will automatically detect the controller when you plug it in and prompt you to update your system with the relevant drivers. You can try this first if you don’t want to download the software separately.

Once the software is installed you can plug your Xbox 360 controller into your USB port on your computer. To ensure it is working correctly select Game Controllers in the Control Panel in Windows.

Not all games support the controller; you can check the game manual to see whether your game will

Downloading Profiles for Easy Configuration

Since the controller isn’t supported by all games and setting up configurations for different games can be tricky you can also download configurations set up by other people which will save you the hassle. Some of these can be found for free. For example if you want to play World of Warcraft using your Xbox 360 controller then try out the free Switchblade software from developer Blue Orb.

Alternatively if you are willing to shell out a little more cash you could opt for the Pinnacle Game Profiler. This software comes with a number of configurations for top titles which you can download and makes setting up your Xbox 360 controller to play your PC games nice and easy. It currently costs $19.95.
    Source
    10 chars

15+ Year Old Account
    I used a regular, wired 360 controller to play Skyrim on my PC also. All I had to do was plug it in before I started the game and it worked fine. I didn't do any downloading or anything.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Is the controller wireless or wired? If it's wired, it should work without issues, but if it's a wireless one, you need some type of adapter for it (the play & charge kit will *not* work with it).

Once you get into Skyrim, just map the button via the in game menu. The keyboard & mouse will still work and the only way to disable that is to disable the hardware or unplug them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's wireless, and I have the adapter, and the software.
    "Can you truly help someone so intent on being stupid?"
    - Hawke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Is the controller wireless or wired? If it's wired, it should work without issues, but if it's a wireless one, you need some type of adapter for it (the play & charge kit will *not* work with it).

Once you get into Skyrim, just map the button via the in game menu. The keyboard & mouse will still work and the only way to disable that is to disable the hardware or unplug them.
    this, i got a new headset myself a lovely lil Turtle Beach... was supposed to be for my computer lol...
    did a little research, apparently the usb part is to power it, and does not send / recieve data... so i needed to connect it to a controller first, then...

well wireless controller...apparently usb will detect what it is(wireless 360 controller) but the USB yet again would not transmit data, it is only there to power the controller...

so now i have a lovely $80 headset, and i don't get on xbox very often, and still have my old headset on the comp with only 1 ear working, and cracked so basically falling apart...

long story short - completely agree with Adorada, wireless controllers do not work.

Once the software is installed you can plug your Xbox 360 controller into your USB port on your computer. To ensure it is working correctly select Game Controllers in the Control Panel in Windows.

^ same area you set up sensitivity, same thing as using windows voice recorder if you want to see what you sound like to other ppl (i did find out after years of using vent that you can do that in vent as well lol)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    "For example if you want to play World of Warcraft using your Xbox 360 controller then try out the free Switchblade software from developer Blue Orb."

REALLY!? You can play WoW with an Xbox360 controller!? How does that work? I mean there are only so many buttons on the controller. Way to many WoW spells for a controller.
    And, it doesn't work with a wireless controller? That sucks! I want to try this out.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually it's just option within the game that cause this. With the 'Assassin's Creed' games, for example, it will default to the keyboard/mouse even if the controller is plugged in before the game starts - you need to go into the control settings and tell the game you want to use the gamepad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post

not tried skyrim with my xbox controller, but id you go into the skyrim settings, there's actually a toggle switch for using a controller (think it even says xbox controller but dont quote me on that), myassumption would be that togglign this on auto swaps the game to xbox default configuration controller

so use that toggle instead of remapping all your keys

---------- Post added 2011-12-27 at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    long story short - completely agree with Adorada, wireless controllers do not work.
    you need a wireless receiver (costs about 15 quid) plugged into your pc to use a wireless xbox controller, not sure about headsets, assumed this was fairly common knowledge, but if not, shouting out here for it, will link one in a sec

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireles.../dp/B000MGVAAQ
    Last edited by Rixis; 2011-12-27 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    "For example if you want to play World of Warcraft using your Xbox 360 controller then try out the free Switchblade software from developer Blue Orb."

REALLY!? You can play WoW with an Xbox360 controller!? How does that work? I mean there are only so many buttons on the controller. Way to many WoW spells for a controller.
    And, it doesn't work with a wireless controller? That sucks! I want to try this out.
    it most likely will work like how champions online plays with the xbox controller as in you have a,x,y,b being your main spells keys and the left and right bumpers and triggers acting as shift/ctrl keys in a sense so you rspell bar 1-4 would be regular keys and then left trigger + keys is spell bar 5-8 etc.
    i love champions online with the xbox controller and refuse to play it with the keyboard and mouse but i dont think itd feel the same in wow, as y9ou said too many spells and still iffy tab targetting....

OP, as long as you have the wireless receiver (looks like the one Rixis posted), it should work. Also, I guess there is an option in Skyrim for the 360 controller, is that checked? See http://uk.geforce.com/Active/en_US/s...ttings-620.png

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post

WoW with xbox 360 controller gets seriously gimped for just that reason, and fifty others. It's just worthless. Don't try.

You can connect a wireless controller to a PC, but you'll need a special reciever (official xbox accessory) for your PC.

Tbh I hate xbox controller for skyrim. The constant aiming with both pads gets annoying.

Games I do play on my PC with x360 controller:
    Vindictus (works out great if you bind the camera-center feature to the R1/L1 button)
    Need for speed, all of them.
    Last edited by Wries; 2011-12-27 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I am sure with being able to have modifiers and multiple buttons pressed at once, an xbox controller would be fine for WoW. Macros and modifiers ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    100% false man, sorry. I've been using my wireless xbox controller with both my laptop and pc for about 4 years now. You have to buy the wireless USB adapter specifically made for the xbox controllers, as well as download third party software that will allow you to map out the controller buttons to keyboard functions. Alas, I don't recall the name of the program because I haven't used it in a little while, but keep looking for one. If I can remember the name i'll post back here soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    to the people saying wireless isn't working; do you like killing kittens?

It does work.

If your computer/games do NOT reconize your pad (ie. not working on games)
    then you need to do this:
    Right click on Computer
    Go to Properties
    Click on Device Manager
    Right click on the Unidentified Device
    Go to Properties
    Go to the Drive tab
    Click on Update Driver…
    Browse my computer for driver software
    Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Windows/Microsoft (Can't remember) Common Controller for Window Class
    Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]
    Update Driver Warning
    Click Yes
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    I've used my Xbox 360 controller with my computer since 2005. First a wired one, then a wireless one about a year ago. In all cases, I had to make sure the controller was plugged in before the game starts up. Otherwise, it works easy as pie. This is using Windows XP, and Windows 7 (skipped Vista completely). Most games recognize it as an Xbox 360 controller and map it the same as it would a game on an Xbox 360. For games that don't though, it's a bit of a pain in the ass. I have yet to bother with keyboard mapping programs for it though. I have yet to try it with Skyrim though, as I prefer mouse and keyboard for that game. I did get it work correctly with Oblivion back in 2006 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevegasm View Post
    I have yet to try it with Skyrim though, as I prefer mouse and keyboard for that game. I did get it work correctly with Oblivion back in 2006 though.
    there's a picture above from skyrim showing the 360 controller toggle, i assume this would also update the ui, so not telling you to press E for example