Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
    I don't what the reason was but I found Rift was giving me very bad headaches and eyestrain. I had to stop playing it which was a shame. Never have that problem with wow although i find it a bit overly cartoony. I'm hoping GW2 is somewhere between the 2.
    I never played Rift before so I wouldn't know the difference, but you might want to get that checked though.

I like how they've stated that things in the distance will start to look like concept art. Love things like that, doesn't happen in WoW...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's going to look like every korean-derived MMO that has ever come out. All they ever do is release the same old Lineage engine with more built onto it. Over time they are simply getting more in-line with the character artists concepts.

As you can see from the humanoid characters, pretty much same body structures with better textures.

This isn't *bad*, it's just how this particular company makes it's profit; modding the same engine over and over.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    It's going to look like every korean-derived MMO that has ever come out. All they ever do is release the same old Lineage engine with more built onto it. Over time they are simply getting more in-line with the character artists concepts.

As you can see from the humanoid characters, pretty much same body structures with better textures.

This isn't *bad*, it's just how this particular company makes it's profit; modding the same engine over and over.
    They're using a new engine though

I've noticed something with 3D graphics. They age really badly. Far worse than any 2D game ever did. Play any indy game, and you'll see they've stopped playing the graphics wars. What's the point? Take any AAA console title. I reckon 90% of it's budget will be in what you see and hear. Most of what you play will have been trotted out in the first few weeks. Small developers have realised that's folly, and have reverted to stylised 3D and pixel art.

It's the same with movies. Take something like Jurassic Park. It's looking really creaky. Last time I watched it, I remember thinking my Xbox 360 could probably do that now. Now take something like Jaws. It looks like a rubber shark. Well in 1975 it looked like a rubber shark as well. It always has, because that's what it is. Same with The Thing. It looks like a moving lump of flesh and gore, because they made a robotic lump of fake blood and flesh. 3D is different. Our expectations move with what we know now. Even modern things like young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy look wrong. It looks like a person, but devoid of any reality. I suppose that was acceptable for the in-computer version, but even the flashback at the start looked wrong. It falls right down the uncanny valley.

Wish they'd stop going for pure realism. It's a money sink and shows a lack of imagination, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I've noticed something with 3D graphics. They age really badly. Far worse than any 2D game ever did. Play any indy game, and you'll see they've stopped playing the graphics wars. What's the point? Take any AAA console title. I reckon 90% of it's budget will be in what you see and hear. Most of what you play will have been trotted out in the first few weeks. Small developers have realised that's folly, and have reverted to stylised 3D and pixel art.

It's the same with movies. Take something like Jurassic Park. It's looking really creaky. Last time I watched it, I remember thinking my Xbox 360 could probably do that now. Now take something like Jaws. It looks like a rubber shark. Well in 1975 it looked like a rubber shark as well. It always has, because that's what it is. Same with The Thing. It looks like a moving lump of flesh and gore, because they made a robotic lump of fake blood and flesh. 3D is different. Our expectations move with what we know now. Even modern things like young Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy look wrong. It looks like a person, but devoid of any reality. I suppose that was acceptable for the in-computer version, but even the flashback at the start looked wrong. It falls right down the uncanny valley.

Wish they'd stop going for pure realism. It's a money sink and shows a lack of imagination, imo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=488L20UXUKU <- not all indie games, sir.

There are places for realism, there are places for stylized, less realistic graphics. To say there is no place for either one or the other is silly.
    I'm fine with any game I play doing either, as long as they commit to whichever they choose and do it well. Or make a game enjoyable enough that it takes all of 5seconds to look past it.

So because the humans in GW2 stand similarly to the humans in GW1, it's suddenly the same engine and will look like the same game?
    I don't think that's how it works, especially since they ARE using a different engine for GW2.
    I mean, it would be a little awkward if the human race developed a third arm and a slouch in the GW2 universe between the two games, so them having the 'same body structures' isn't the best of arguments.
    Last edited by Delias; 2011-12-29 at 01:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I've noticed something with 3D graphics. They age really badly. Far worse than any 2D game ever did. Play any indy game, and you'll see they've stopped playing the graphics wars. What's the point? Take any AAA console title. I reckon 90% of it's budget will be in what you see and hear. Most of what you play will have been trotted out in the first few weeks. Small developers have realized that's folly, and have reverted to stylized 3D and pixel art.

Most game commentators have been saying that since the start of this generation of consoles. And the problem isn't with 3D-games, but with striving for good graphics instead of good aesthetic.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Another game that people claim it to be the best thing since sliced bread.....i played the game at eurogamer and its mediocre at best.
    Only new thing in this game was the changing of weapons = diff abilities...apart from that it will end up being a system hog has been.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    Another game that people claim it to be the best thing since sliced bread.....i played the game at eurogamer and its mediocre at best.
    Only new thing in this game was the changing of weapons = diff abilities...apart from that it will end up being a system hog has been.
    Another person who knows very little about the game claiming it's the exact same as other MMOs.
    If you're not interested in GW2, do not play GW2. Simple as that.
    I am interested in GW2, so I will go ahead and look forward to it and tell other people who are looking forward to it what about it I am looking forward to.
    If you don't like it, there's.. well, really not much reason for you to BE in the GW2 forums, is there?

Deleted
    It's that realism takes quite a lot of work compared to cartoon stuff spammed these days. Aged engines and 2D stuff usually masked artist failures with PC limitation, but it's stopped being the case.
    I don't think it ages that bad either. Like Doom 3 was released on 3rd of August in 2004, while WoW was 23rd November on same year. I don't think that WoW aged any better if worse, and you can still check out that engine used in doom was still used quite recently.
    Not that I care too much, but I'd definitely not turn down the game if it had quality of environment like Rage.
    I wouldn't mix FPS games with RPG's. FPS with awwsocolorful-graphics would be stupid right?
    Like Hexen and Heretic? Those are far from being stupid :<.

10+ Year Old Account

Guildwars does not use a "Korean-derived" engine. Do you really think a company founded by the man that coded the Warcraft3 rendering engine, invented the MoPaQ file wrapper (as used by wow), and developed the original battle.net can't write it's own code?
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-12-29 at 03:09 PM.

It certainly has a realistic style, but that can be a bad thing as it may not age well. The paint particle effects are gorgeous enough for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakesz View Post
    gameplay videos have already been released and it isn't cartoony looking in the slightest

Totally not cartoony.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post

Totally not cartoony.
    That's concept art, not a screenshot.

This is a screenshot:

Totally looks like the Simpsons right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Judging by the videos posted I'd say it maintains a good balance of real and cartoony. Its not brown with 9000 bloom effects on top so... thank goodness for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope they make the water react to body movement better. From watching gameplay videos, the water effects are pretty...meh.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    Judging by your post history, I'm inclined to not take you seriously. =P
    Not sure what your post has to do with the game's graphics though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's concept art, not a screenshot.

This is a screenshot:

Totally looks like the Simpsons right?
    Lion's Arch might be the best looking city ever in a MMO :3

OT: I love the graphics just the way they are, perfect balance between the realistic and cartoonish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancakesz View Post
    gameplay videos have already been released and it isn't cartoony looking in the slightest
    Cartoony works better than realism in mmorpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Lion's Arch might be the best looking city ever in a MMO :3
    I'm going to say that the city of Aqulonia in AoC was the best looking city. The sense of scale makes Lion's Arch look like a butt-pirate town.