Dark Side Republic Questions

So I'm playing a Light Side trooper as my main, but I have a Jedi Knight that I was planning on levelling Dark Side. But I'm finding quite frequently that the dark side choices involve killing what seem to be major plot characters. I know from experience on my trooper these characters tend to pop back up occasionally. I'm curious from anyone who's played a dark side character, particularly a Jedi Knight, if they feel the story has been somewhat crippled.

I'm already finding making some of these dark side choices to be rather difficult, even if the results are sometimes amusing. It feels like they deliberately biased the game - I'm curious if the Imperial side has the same problem with Light Side choices. And I miss the little happy notes my Trooper gets in the mail.

I'm also curious if it's possible to maintain a dark side rating without being mercenary.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

I get happy notes in the mail when I do bad things for the Empire. Usually because a Sith or an Officer wanted me to kill that person(ie. "Thanks for killing my wife"). I think it all depends on the choices you make. I have been talked down to by the empire for doing light side in some places but in others it actually worked out in the empires favor so they liked it. All depends on the choice made.

I am leveling as an Imperial - and funny thing is I had the same exact question in the beginning. Our choices are exactly the same as yours, if I want dark side points I have to kill the main character - and I was worried this will effect game down the road. But, I don't think this is an issue - and NO - as a dark sider it's still tough to constanatly choose to kill people for the dark side points. Especially when I know that another choice (to keep them alive) will benefit the empire greater BUT, i don't get darkside points for it.