Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Maelstrom crystals

Has anyone else noticed a big increase in the cost of maelstroms recently? They went from 160g to over 350g on my server right now. Its at the point where its not even profitable for me to buy crystals off the AH for scrolls anymore.

Yeah, I just run heroics for them now. It's not worth buying them anymore. What server do you play on, btw?

I'm pretty sure it started to skyrocket because way too many people were profiting by Shattering the crystal and selling the Shards. This way it gives 0 possibility to profit off that. Unfortunately, it also effects some of the more 'expensive' enchants as well.

Here's a quick tip for you:

1) Find enchanter that is exalted with Avengers of Hyjal
    2) Give them gold to buy X quantity of rep cloaks
    3) Have them DE said cloaks
    4) ????????
    5) Profit

At exalted and after guild perk, they come out normally between 140 to 160g on average
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
    Yeah, I just run heroics for them now. It's not worth buying them anymore. What server do you play on, btw?
    Bloodhoof alliance side, theyre down to about 285g now but thats still quite an increase in price.

Quote Originally Posted by quietstrm07 View Post

4) ????????
    5) Profit

At exalted and after guild perk, they come out normally between 140 to 160g on average
    Makes me wish I didnt stop raiding so I could just do this myself. Thank you though, it was very helpful. Now I just need to find someone in trade to do this without giving everyone else this idea haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inferno Rubies, Maelstrom Crystals, and a ton of other mats are all stupid expensive right now. New patch.......I stock piled tons of all of them for my guild to save everyone money. I haven't made a dime, but my guildies haven't spent squat! So I win!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunknlulaby View Post
    Inferno Rubies, Maelstrom Crystals, and a ton of other mats are all stupid expensive right now. New patch.......I stock piled tons of all of them for my guild to save everyone money. I haven't made a dime, but my guildies haven't spent squat! So I win!
    I respect people like you. People who care more about helping others are better people than those making a gold supply they won't do anything with. That being said, post 4.3, it's been harder for me to get maelstroms to help my guildies out via the dungeon finder

Quote Originally Posted by Keyblamast78 View Post
    I respect people like you. People who care more about helping others are better people than those making a gold supply they won't do anything with. That being said, post 4.3, it's been harder for me to get maelstroms to help my guildies out via the dungeon finder
    Just wanted to address the whole making gold I wont do anything with. For me, its not about the gold but instead the competition of making gold. Gold is just a way to keep score of whos winning.

Deleted
    ooh prehaps its time too sell some then, have about 2 stacks of crystals i dnt use anyway.

thnx for the tip

It's just stupid how crystals increased in price and not the shards. Are people seriously that stupid? This change was made to increase the number of shards and reduce their cost not increase the cost of crystals. I guess the shard market crashed and people stocking shards still selling them high so people with crystals start selling them even higher.

I'm happy my guild does regular 15 min hot heroics for the easy crystals, we suggested doing zg/za before we realised t13 5mans are WAY easier. Depends on server i guess
    Last edited by Saft; 2012-01-03 at 10:38 AM.

Ok how can people be surprised at the prices of items that was known would skyrocket like months ago. http://vilesauctions.blogspot.com/20...ide-storm.html that post was made in November. It's basically a post that pretty much hits it right where it counts when it comes to which items will go up in prices and why (now already up)

4) ????????
    5) Profit

Can someone delete this now?!?! <_<

It comes out to 175 with all "bonus' " except goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I'm pretty sure it started to skyrocket because way too many people were profiting by Shattering the crystal and selling the Shards. This way it gives 0 possibility to profit off that. Unfortunately, it also effects some of the more 'expensive' enchants as well.
    This also. Doesn't take to much to say "hmm maels are at 150...and shards are at 100 each....."
    Last edited by usiris; 2012-01-04 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saft View Post
    It's just stupid how crystals increased in price and not the shards. Are people seriously that stupid? This change was made to increase the number of shards and reduce their cost not increase the cost of crystals. I guess the shard market crashed and people stocking shards still selling them high so people with crystals start selling them even higher.

I'm happy my guild does regular 15 min hot heroics for the easy crystals, we suggested doing zg/za before we realised t13 5mans are WAY easier. Depends on server i guess
    thats like what? 4 bosses? so 4 maelstroms worth maybe 1000g for 5 guys for 15min? 800g/hour per person? and requires you to actually pay attention to the fight?

Seems like the worst gold making effort ever...

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Can someone delete this now?!?! <_<

It comes out to 175 with all "bonus' " except goblin
    You failed to take the other guild perk into account. Bountiful bags gives on average a 20% or so addition to the items received from disenchanting. 175g / 1.2 = 145.83g per maelstrom after accounting for the average proc on the guild perk. So, I continue to stand by my statement as the price tends to be about 140 to 160g per maelstrom based on luck
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You failed to take the other guild perk into account. Bountiful bags gives on average a 20% or so addition to the items received from disenchanting. 175g / 1.2 = 145.83g per maelstrom after accounting for the average proc on the guild perk. So, I continue to stand by my statement as the price tends to be about 140 to 160g per maelstrom based on luck
    My servers economy is really all over the place it seems. Just a week ago I made that post about how at one point crystals reached 350g, now theyre down to 170g. I understand the whole patch drives prices up, but for them to double in price in a day and then to go back to half that in a week seems pretty crazy. The other server I play on seems to have a much more stable economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Profish13 View Post
    My servers economy is really all over the place it seems. Just a week ago I made that post about how at one point crystals reached 350g, now theyre down to 170g. I understand the whole patch drives prices up, but for them to double in price in a day and then to go back to half that in a week seems pretty crazy. The other server I play on seems to have a much more stable economy.
    You need to watch when the heavy raiding time is on your server That and for a few hours after is the BEST time to sell. Then when raiders arnt raiding they tend to farm and flood the market that is the best time to buy. Find the top 5 guilds on your server and stalk them via /who then play the market accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, no, I haven't. If the price went up, I'd sell all the countless of stacks Im sitting on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I did the shatter thing and made a fortune now though there really cheap on my server

Deleted
    Ha finally a reason to log in... Anyway on my realm Maelstroms go for ~160g and Shards for about 75g so it is fairly balanced.

Though I didn't play on launch of 4.3 which is when they brought in the shatter thing I suppose and first one or two weeks must have been crazy.

You are about six months too late mate.

I used this exact thing when maelstroms where still 500g a pop right at 4.2 launch.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post12082966

Also gonna point out you can sell DE the 700 jp range items from honor and jp vendors.
    Last edited by Keilith; 2012-01-04 at 10:30 PM.