Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help our guilds Shadow priest please!

I have raided with the same group of people for the last 2-3 years and we have never really hit a point where our dps is a *problem*, but we are about at that point....we will be starting Heroic modes soon, and I really need our DPS to step it up. Our Guilds shadow priest is well geared (382 iL), and I think she should be pulling a lot more dps than she is at the moment. She usually ends up 16k-18k depending on the fight and on our Ultraxion kill the other day, she ended at 20k. Here is a link to her armory:

Well, I Guess I must post a few times before I post links......Her Character is Gille on server Sargeras.

I wish I had a better log, but this is at least a starting point:

Again, Cannot submit a link yet: US Sargeras, Guild: Knights that Say Ni, 12-20 at 19:26.

I DC'ed after Morchok and forgot to restart my combat log so I only grabbed that fight :-(.

Does anyone see anything that is jumping out that she is doing wrong or needs to change? I know she needs to change her helm gem (to grab the bonus), but any other help I can pass along would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Your raid comp is VERY caster unfriendly.. that being said, however, there are a lot of things that raise red flags:

Dot uptimes are low: 73.4% on VT in unacceptable, even on morchok (should be aiming for 97% + uptime on all 3)
    Mind flay uptime is low: Should be around 50%
    Mind blast usage is very low: On cd, ideally, should've been able to cast as much as 38 MB (unrealistic) but they only casted it 17 times (unacceptable)
    Empowered Shadow uptime is very poor..

Honestly I could go on, but from the looks of it, they don't use any form of dot tracker (would be easier to tell on a spank fight like ultraxion) or anything that tracks shadow orbs beside the default icon light up at 3 orbs.

Tell them to read up on Kilee's guide, it should help them a lot. If they don't want to put that effort in, you should probably find a new dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wrong wrist enchant (should be int not haste), as you said the socket bonus on the helm, wrong cloak enchant (lightweave is far superior to 50 int). I haven't looked at your logs but if its true about the 50% uptime on MF, low cast of MB, and low uptime of VT then that's a lot of problems right there. Empowered Shadows is by far the easiest thing to keep up 100% of the time since it lasts a lot longer than the CD for MB which should be cast on CD. Also the weapon she's using should be replaced by the offhand quest reward paired with the mainhand in Well of Eternity instead which is hella easy to get.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 02:15 PM ----------

Also just looking at her spec, not sure if the one that has 9 points in disc is a pvp build or a build to use silence/interrupt but the point spent in imp PW:S should be moved to veiled shadows to make that out for a lower CD shadowfiend. And maybe its just me but I hate when I see priests using the int/hit gems instead of int/spirit gems just because the out of combat regen of spirit is better than just getting hit from the gem....but that's just me.

Finally his glyphs just suck in both specs. Dispersion is a shitty glyph for pve. She should be using SWD in its place especially given the 4 piece bonus of t13. Glyph of Spirit Tap is also recommended because of the likelihood of getting a killing blow from any add & Mass Dispel is best for those times you need to use it (reduced cast time). His glyph of Dispel Magic is wasted on a shadow spec since we can no longer dispel magic off friendly targets anymore which translates into only she can get the heal when she dispels herself. Just overall really bad choices on the glyphs really. I only add the parts in about her major glyphs because they're all utility for priests and don't do anything for dps but they should be fixed too when she's fixing the rest of her problems with spec/gear/gems/enchants.
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2011-12-28 at 10:17 PM.

Okay, I got our Ultraxion log uploaded....Hopefully this will give a bit clearer picture of what she is doing.

---------- Post added 2011-12-28 at 05:40 PM ----------

And thank you both for what you pointed out...I will make sure she works on those...Any other thoughts on the Ultra log?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    They really aren't putting any effort in to play their shadow priest. There is too much wrong with what they are doing to go through it all. They need to just be referred to a good guide (like the one in this forum), and start from there.

I'm sure there are gearing issues aside from the numerous issues with DoT uptimes, mind blast usage on cooldown... and many more. They just aren't trying.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

10+ Year Old Account
    sillydkarchie got the uptimes about right
    Mine for example: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...1#tab-dmgspell

btw Dispersion glyph is not at all shitty for PVE!! e.g. Ultraxion soaking?
    Last edited by Vargur; 2011-12-29 at 12:02 AM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post

On normal, pressing the button at the right seccond (at the end of the cast) would go faster than pressing disper and use a marco to cancel it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    On normal, pressing the button at the right seccond (at the end of the cast) would go faster than pressing disper and use a marco to cancel it.
    Do note that he wrote "soaking".

Real spriests go to www.shadowpriest.com. You should probably tell him to stop embarrassing himself and other spriests by playing as shitty as he does.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifftah View Post
    Real spriests go to www.shadowpriest.com. You should probably tell him to stop embarrassing himself and other spriests by playing as shitty as he does.
    Haven't been to that site in ages. Guess I'm doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Haven't been to that site in ages. Guess I'm doing it wrong.
    go to shadowpriest.com if you want some sweet trojans on your pc =P

but yeah, that site is slightly outdated, mods stopped caring, ect.. a better bet is howtopriest.com or guides on this forum

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post

I also glyph it for mag heroic, its a drop in the bucket, but every little bit to help our healers, our guild got our first kill last week. the alternative is glyphing death... which I cant really use without the 2pc, which I am not yet running.

anyway. dots need to be up 100%... the shadowpriest rotation is a simple case of priority, dots must ALWAYS be refreshed, mindblast on cooldown, mindflay all the rest of the time.

there are other tricks to squeeze out the last few drops, but imply followng the above will get her atleast 90% of the way there. Its simply a matter of her being fluent with her spells and buttons.

You said its a girl, right? Just carry her and deal with it.

Fixes:
    Head : HitRating -> HasteRating/Brilliant->Reckless
    Neck : No Reforge
    Shoulders : CritRating -> Spirit/Brilliant->Reckless
    Chest: No Reforge
    Waist : CritRating -> Spirit
    Legs : CritRating -> HasteRating
    Feet : CritRating -> Spirit
    Wrists : MasteryRating -> Spirit/50 haste -> 50 Int
    Gloves: No Reforge/Brilliant-> Purified
    Ring1 : HitRating -> MasteryRating
    Ring2 : HitRating -> HasteRating
    Back : No Reforge/50int -> Lightweave
    MainHand : CritRating -> HasteRating
    Ranged : No Reforge

As others have said, Glyph of Dispersion should be Glyph of Shadow Word: Death. Other than that, dots need to be up 97%+, Mind Blast on CD whether they have orbs or not, Mind flay up time around 50% and keeping Shadow Word: Death on CD once the boss is at 25% and lower.

Your guilds SPriest doesn't seem to have a good handle on her rotation/keeping dots rolling/keeping ES up.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Madd View Post
    Fixes:
    Head : HitRating -> HasteRating/Brilliant->Reckless
    Neck : No Reforge
    Shoulders : CritRating -> Spirit/Brilliant->Reckless
    Chest: No Reforge
    Waist : CritRating -> Spirit
    Legs : CritRating -> HasteRating
    Feet : CritRating -> Spirit
    Wrists : MasteryRating -> Spirit/50 haste -> 50 Int
    Gloves: No Reforge/Brilliant-> Purified
    Ring1 : HitRating -> MasteryRating
    Ring2 : HitRating -> HasteRating
    Back : No Reforge/50int -> Lightweave
    MainHand : CritRating -> HasteRating
    Ranged : No Reforge

As others have said, Glyph of Dispersion should be Glyph of Shadow Word: Death. Other than that, dots need to be up 97%+, Mind Blast on CD whether they have orbs or not, Mind flay up time around 50% and keeping Shadow Word: Death on CD once the boss is at 25% and lower.
    Crit is actually a higher value than mastery if you're rocking 2p T12 so your set-up is actually wrong. Once you lose the 2p bonus it goes back to mastery being higher and 4p t13 has an even higher value of mastery added to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Thank you everyone for your responses! Any other thoughts on the Ultra log? Her dots seem to have a better up time, but I do not know shadow priests that well (along with warriors...the two classes I dont know :-(). Thank you again for the responses!

As others have said glyph of sw: death is a must. Having two sw: death casts every 10 seconds vs. one when the boss is <= 25% health can add up. Also your 10 man comp doesn't have a warlock so your priest not having DI can unfortunately make a bit of a difference.

[edit] Simming her character with having DI and the shadow word: death glyph (switched out dispersion glyph) gives almost a 2k dps increase. And that doesn't take into account any other glyph changes, gear changes or spell casting changes.
    Last edited by Ineras; 2011-12-29 at 03:27 PM.