Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2 Computers, Pick 1

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=3395059

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+X...&skuId=3152075

go down a bit to find specifications, I need to buy a new computer soon and dont know how to build my own, I want to know if any of these 2 computers will be able to handle WoW, Starcraft 2, and Skyrim on maximum video settings.

If they can both run all the games I listed without a problem, then Ill need to know which one is better for the price/performance.

Thanks in advance.

The dell is better. But I would rather find a friend to help build you a computer. You can build a sick computer for 1000 dollars.

Im buying it from Bestbuy because its the closest store to where I live that sells decent computers xD Im trying to avoid ordering online.

I'm sure for 1000 bucks you could find a small computer store in your area that sells similar or better computers for that price.

You're better off ordering online. If you have problems with it, especially if it's a major brand, you'll still have to go through the manufacturer, not Best Buy, to get it serviced. And if you order online, you won't have someone pushing their "extended warranty" deal quite so hard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybeloras View Post
    They both will run just fine, but BestBuy is a total rip off. Buy from Newegg or somewhere else similar.
    Shop around you can find better for that price especially if you are buying online.

Id go with the dell but building is always going to get you a better pc

Quote Originally Posted by Herews The Paladin View Post
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=3395059

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+X...&skuId=3152075

go down a bit to find specifications, I need to buy a new computer soon and dont know how to build my own, I want to know if any of these 2 computers will be able to handle WoW, Starcraft 2, and Skyrim on maximum video settings.

If they can both run all the games I listed without a problem, then Ill need to know which one is better for the price/performance.

Thanks in advance.
    Neither. Find an Asus.

If you don't, make sure you get the extended warranty crap (for either HP or Dell, but especially Dell), or you may have a hard time getting replacement parts when the time comes, let alone good customer service.

I'll never buy another Dell/Alienware product again, if I can help it all. And HP is too packaged... Usually you can find a good Asus for cheap, and they work wonders.

I looked around and found Staples and CompUsa if those are any good stores but thats all thats near me atm.

I looked around and found Staples and CompUsa if those are any good stores but thats all thats near me atm.
    www.newegg.com
    www.tigerdirect.com

to name a couple...

btw, building your own computer is fairly easy. Most of it comes with instructions, and if you need a diagram, you can always Google...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    CompUSA and Tiger Direct are essentially the same entity now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Just out of curiosity and a completely honest question; Why don't you want to order online? I can understand if it's paranoia or some such (which i can appreciate when it comes to money) but perhaps we can help you out a little in getting the parts without ordering online, or convince you it's worth ordering online. Either way, i'm sure the guys around here can help you out.
    I havent ever ordered that much stuff online, and I didnt want to start with something expensive, like a computer lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I would check if you have a local Tiger Direct, Micro Center, or Comp USA store near your house. They make Best Buy look like absolute garbage, when it comes to computers.

tigerdirect.com
    microcenter.com
    compusa.com

Just use their websites to find a store near you, you *WILL* be happy. Plus, they will build you a custom rig for not much extra if you buy all the parts from them.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't take the list in to Best Buy though, they'll be like, well we can show you a prebuilt blah blah! Yeah, no. Go to one of the stores I listed.
    "A flower.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Out of those 2 computers I would pick neither.... For the amount of money I would build a better one

In my opinion, Id buy from newegg/somewhere similar and make your own computer, If you can read a book and match letters up you can make your own computer. Plus bestbuy is a giant ripoff of electronic products

Thanks for all the posts so far, there is a CompUSA very close actually, I went and looked through their website and picked out a computer that looked pretty good.
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/...7082&CatId=114 Computer
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/...430&CatId=2318 Monitor

Is this a step in the right direction? or should I just stop looking at pre-builts, I really do not want to build one and im not that great with knowing what computer parts work together so I would need alot of help.

You should stop looking at prebuilts from retail stores. None of them actually contain good video cards, no matter where you look. For the same price as the build you linked, you could custom order a PC with almost twice the gaming performance for the same price.

Regardless, the 550 ti is the absolute lowest end gaming card from Nvidia. It's going to struggle maxing any game, and will certainly struggle a year later even more on newer games.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Furiex View Post
    In my opinion, Id buy from newegg/somewhere similar and make your own computer, If you can read a book and match letters up you can make your own computer. Plus bestbuy is a giant ripoff of electronic products
    it wouldn't be so successful if it were a giant ripoff, it's just convenient; people don't grow their own cacao trees and cows to make chocolate they just buy it already made because it's convenient. at the op you might as well start building your own computers now and get it over with, nobody wants to get a defective part or have to deal with return policies but most gamers build their own rigs to suit their needs. build one to suit yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the posts so far, there is a CompUSA very close actually, I went and looked through their website and picked out a computer that looked pretty good.
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/...7082&CatId=114 Computer
    http://www.compusa.com/applications/...430&CatId=2318 Monitor

Is this a step in the right direction? or should I just stop looking at pre-builts, I really do not want to build one and im not that great with knowing what computer parts work together so I would need alot of help.
    The computer is better - but only to a degree. It annoys me when they cater to the "bigger numbers means better fps, etc" crowd, because it's a waste. They could drop that i7-2600 to an i5-2500K (with proper P67/Z68 motherboard) and up that video card to at least a GTX 560 Ti.

The GTX 550 Ti many benchmarkers don't even consider a real gaming video card.
    "A flower.