Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If CB comes, can open beta be far behind? (Guild Wars 2 )

Just a joke.Glad that Guild Wars 2 stirs in CB, though we are not allowed in yet. Read a timely preview and share with all who are also waiting to fight in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is CB?

10+ Year Old Account
    Closed beta.

Well they said in their online FAQ that open beta is for marketing promotion only, and that it'll happen 2-3 weeks before official launch. So the question should be: With closed beta starting now, when will the game be released? (And then subtract 3 weeks.)

The normal path for a game to take is to have an open beta rather soonish after the closed beta.
    The only real question that remains is whether we can figure out a end date for the CB.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutorial View Post
    The normal path for a game to take is to have an open beta rather soonish after the closed beta.
    The only real question that remains is whether we can figure out a end date for the CB.
    Uhm.. more important question here is: when the beta client will be leaked ;>. Not saying it will happen, but there is still good chance for it - from there we can easily create a sandbox which can enable us to play around in character creation screen. Depends on how tight security is ;]

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Uhm.. more important question here is: when the beta client will be leaked ;>. Not saying it will happen, but there is still good chance for it - from there we can easily create a sandbox which can enable us to play around in character creation screen. Depends on how tight security is ;]
    That kind of talk is dangerous on these forums...

OT though: I do hope that CB takes a few months at least. Stress testing, "fresh perspective" on game play and mechanics, tinkering with things. It would be interesting if ANet does something similar to Bioware did with TOR in that if you pre-order you can gain early server access. But I think that pre-ordering should allow access to OB personally. But that's my 2 cents.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy that leaked a beta client. Breaking an NDA by releasing info can get you in enough trouble, releasing game code... wouldn't want to be called a defendant in that legal battle. I wouldnt be all that surprised if they give us a character builder web app to play with at some point but also figure that a couple weeks of open beta will give you plenty of time to fine tune the appearance you want for your main at launch.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    That kind of talk is dangerous on these forums...

OT though: I do hope that CB takes a few months at least. Stress testing, "fresh perspective" on game play and mechanics, tinkering with things. It would be interesting if ANet does something similar to Bioware did with TOR in that if you pre-order you can gain early server access. But I think that pre-ordering should allow access to OB personally. But that's my 2 cents.
    I don't like the idea of early access to people that pre-order. Noone should be able to break the release date just because they paid extra or bought the game early.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I don't like the idea of early access to people that pre-order. Noone should be able to break the release date just because they paid extra or bought the game early.
    Why not? You seem to regard the game as some kind of competition by which early starters have an "advantage".

If a staggered launch release help with smooth release, I'm all for it.

As for open Beta, I don't think there will be one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy that leaked a beta client. Breaking an NDA by releasing info can get you in enough trouble, releasing game code... wouldn't want to be called a defendant in that legal battle. I wouldnt be all that surprised if they give us a character builder web app to play with at some point but also figure that a couple weeks of open beta will give you plenty of time to fine tune the appearance you want for your main at launch.
    Then again it wouldn't be the first time it happened.

Look at WoW, the classic's alpha was leaked months before release, I had my own local private server (for testing purposes only ;p) week later (about half a year before launch). BC ended up the same way, so as Wotlk.

It all depends on security measures Anet took to protect beta client, I have a feeling though we will not have to wait long ;].

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Why not? You seem to regard the game as some kind of competition by which early starters have an "advantage".

If a staggered launch release help with smooth release, I'm all for it.

As for open Beta, I don't think there will be one.
    It's not that I see it as a competition, it's just that I'm probably as hyped as everybody else, and just because they buy it before it's released they the early access, even tho I'm gonna buy it on release. If they're gonna do that why not just make the release earlier?

It's not that I see it as a competition, it's just that I'm probably as hyped as everybody else, and just because they buy it before it's released they the early access, even tho I'm gonna buy it on release. If they're gonna do that why not just make the release earlier?
    They wanna stagger the launch for technical reasons. It's not hard to imagine why 2,000,000 people logging on at the exact same time might cause problems.

Like me, if you've waited for GW2 for years and years, an extra 10 days isn't gonna make any difference.

Shortly said they announced GW2 way to early. They should've waited till they were halfway done.

Well if they do a staggered release that would only be to my benefit since the second the CE for this game is able to be preodered i will buy it. This will probably be the second game I've ever got a collectors edition for, the prior being Kingdom hearts 2

Stood in the Fire Stealthedbear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the open beta will happen, mostly to test server capacities (WvWvW comes to mind) but i think that there is still a while ( a few months at least) until this happens.
    From open beta to release will be a shorter time frame (again in my own opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Tutorial View Post
    Shortly said they announced GW2 way to early. They should've waited till they were halfway done.
    Not really, it's exactly what Guild Wars needed at that point, Guild Wars 1 was dying fast and Anet is a team well known for their hard work, their artwork is b-e-autiful.

It's rather frustrating to wait 4-5 years for a game to come out. If I knew that at the start I'd probably thought; "Never mind that".

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What's stopping you from preordering and receiving early access as well? If they do grant beta access for preorders I'll be really excited because I preordered months ago. And like the others have said, they probably don't want their entire player-base logging on at the same time. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    they probably don't want their entire player-base logging on at the same time. :P
    I was thinking about that today while watching the problems a certain other MMOs launch has had. I wonder how hard ArenaNet will push the marketing for release day sales. Unlike subscription MMO's GW2 doesn't need to get people in the door asap so they're paying sub fees, and they make the same money from a box sale whether it's on release or a month later. It would certainly take the load off the servers and events at launch if they didn't market the game to more casual (I hate what that term implies, but it's relevant) MMO players until things settled down.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I was thinking about that today while watching the problems a certain other MMOs launch has had. I wonder how hard ArenaNet will push the marketing for release day sales. Unlike subscription MMO's GW2 doesn't need to get people in the door asap so they're paying sub fees, and they make the same money from a box sale whether it's on release or a month later. It would certainly take the load off the servers and events at launch if they didn't market the game to more casual (I hate what that term implies, but it's relevant) MMO players until things settled down.
    Though I do think GW2 will have huge initial sales, I think they will see even more a few weeks after release because everyone is going to be buzzing about it and those who never bothered to look into before release will pick it up. The reason I feel this way is because those that seem disinterested or hate on GW2 seem to spout off a lot of misinformation about the game and once it's released the truth will come foward and pull even more people in.