Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kojane View Post
    I've never played diablo so will someone explain what "playing hardcore" is?
    When your character dies..... he dies. Forever. DUN DUN DUUUUUUN!...
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    There are two modes.
    - Softcore, for the weak. You die, you do not lose anything, you resurrect and keep playing.
    - Hardcore, you die and you lose all your gear and your character.
    Thanks for clearing that up :P If I decide to pick Diablo 3 up, I think I'll play soft xD

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I used to play Hardcore in D2....
    But then I took an keyboard to the knee. And the keyboard snapped in half.

Yeah, lvl96 Necromancer in quite decent gear... Huuuuge lagspike+screenfreeze while doing a Baal-run resulted in an unexpected death.

Never played HC again after that.

Or well, I might give it a go in D3 as its been so many years after that dramatic experience so my mental wounds have mostly healed.

I am kind of looking forward to the prestige and community surrounding hardcore players. It'll be very interesting to see if any 'legends' do pop up about certain people. Maybe it'll be newsworthy, similar to how world firsts are reporting on MMO Champion? Imagine logging onto Diablo Fans one day and seeing the news that a well-known player has died in hardcore mode. Of course you'd get the trolls going 'HAHA NOOB', but I think there'd be a lot of people posting their condolences. I know I'd spare a moment to think of the mental anguish that person must be going through.

It'd be interesting, at any rate. It's also the closest I'd get to hardcore mode, as I know for a fact that I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

If the PvP system really does cause the permanent death of characters like the open world does, you can be certain that some people will survive to become legend in the community.

PvE on the other is secluded and personal, and there won't be a way to know that other godly players even exist at all as far as I know, unless you just run in to them in public games.

THE THRILL OF IT

seriously though the best test of a hardcore player's skill is how fast he can exit the game before the final blow. oh so many close calls...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I don't expect hardcore to be difficult. The only deaths I'm expected are playing through hell/inferno for the first time, otherwise, most of the things that killed us in D2 are no longer present.

Of course, removing S/E and the ability to spam pots is going to make boss fights more interesting.

As per the OP, I still swear I have better luck with drops on hardcore, but Blizzard insists it is the same game.
    I think you are going to be very wrong about that. You cannot compare D2 hardmode to D3. Simply because you can no longer shutdown the game or town portal out of any possible death threatening situation like in Diablo II, nor can you spam pots endlessly.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-01-12 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    you can no longer shutdown the game
    You can't? Please explain.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmann View Post
    Like high drop chances on items or anything? Or is it just for fun?
    It's the point of the entire game.. or well, it used to be.
    The point was... end game and new raid tiers are for people in a guild, ready to spend some hours for it!

But, since the new gamers generation came, it's all about giving epics away for everyone! you only need to put effort in 1 or 2 fights, then you don't need to look back at them. And, once they have this, what they wanted, they cry and claim that the game doesn't offer bosses and stuff.

Welcome to the World of Globalized Consumerismcraft!

I guess its like WoW, if you just shutdown the game your character is still in the world for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    It's the point of the entire game.. or well, it used to be.
    The point was... end game and new raid tiers are for people in a guild, ready to spend some hours for it!

But, since the new gamers generation came, it's all about giving epics away for everyone! you only need to put effort in 1 or 2 fights, then you don't need to look back at them. And, once they have this, what they wanted, they cry and claim that the game doesn't offer bosses and stuff.

Welcome to the World of Globalized Consumerismcraft!
    Umm, this is the Diablo 3 forum, mate. Not WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Keilden View Post
    I guess its like WoW, if you just shutdown the game your character is still in the world for some time.
    Yes but battle.net and D2 worked the same way, didn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    Yes but battle.net and D2 worked the same way, didn't it?
    No, in D2 a S/E removed your character from combat instantly, you could escape any killing blow if your trigger finger was quick enough. They're removing this capability in D3, they say.

I'm not afraid of ever dying. If they make it survivabile, we will find a way to survive, as we did in D2.

I'm not afraid of ever dying. If they make it survivabile, we will find a way to survive, as we did in D2.
    Absolutely. If they make it even harder than D2, I'll just sweat a little more :P

Oh my bad then, didn't realize they were removing Save&Exit during combat in D3.

I only tried HC once in D2. Don't even remember what level I managed to get to, but I remember that when he died, that was the last time I ever tried HC lol. I'll man up and try it again in D3 though

From what I hear infernal mode is going to be quite impossible unless you have the perfect comp of classes.

D2 Hell mode is going to be a joke compared to infernal mode IMO.

Do me a favor and don't correct my spelling/grammar. I browse this site with a cell phone. Try harder next time to be an ass.

D2 hell is already a joke. I mean, once you have the items to back up a single character you are pretty much immortal except to extremely situational stuff such as tomb vipers or amp+elite packs, all of which are still pretty easy to avoid and survive.

The first play through should be difficult, but if you can get even one character stacked with gear from inferno, I have no doubt people will find a way to make runners that are pretty much immortal. They can always add more gimmicks, mob packs that stunlock you if you're by yourself, things like CE/poison javelin/FE bug, but those would all be pretty lame ways to kill players that I don't expect them to repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    There are two modes.
    - Softcore, for the weak. You die, you do not lose anything, you resurrect and keep playing.
    - Hardcore, you die and you lose all your gear and your character. Well, in the order of, your character dies and your gear can or cannot be retreived.
    If you're in a party and its someone u trust u get them too loot your body so you get your gear back, and softcore all you lose is EXP

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 12:33 AM ----------

HC is fun if you can find the right people to play with, around 85+ the player base is quite tight as you get too see the same people in baal runs, but unfortunately these days 90% of the game at high level now is run by bots which is sad.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

D2 hell is already a joke. I mean, once you have the items to back up a single character you are pretty much immortal except to extremely situational stuff such as tomb vipers or amp+elite packs, all of which are still pretty easy to avoid and survive.

The first play through should be difficult, but if you can get even one character stacked with gear from inferno, I have no doubt people will find a way to make runners that are pretty much immortal. They can always add more gimmicks, mob packs that stunlock you if you're by yourself, things like CE/poison javelin/FE bug, but those would all be pretty lame ways to kill players that I don't expect them to repeat.
    That's when all difficulty is irrelevant anyway and is sort of the point of gear of that level being difficult to obtain. A twinked player going through HC might as well just be SC to be honest.

as i am planning to play the shit outta D3, i just hope inferno is worth it.

not happy with what i saw on blizzcon.

also they said u get some extra shits to decorate your banner so not much of an epeen stroke, but still. the most valuable thing in playing Diablo on said difficulties is simply the thrill of it. when i think about the old days breaking keyboards and mouses when u die, that was both painful and pleasant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a diablo fan since the first one, definitely be doing Hardcore, live fast die faster lol
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!