Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think personally why the Engineer gets a lot of grief is just from the wow profession engineering. Seen it in quite a few posts here n there.
    I honestly believe ppl therefore can't make the jump from seeing a wow crafting prof become a full blown "class" or GW2 profession...and therefore most of the misconceptions arise.

Theif: dunno. Love the role-back from the contemporary wow rogue to the more traditional thiefy like role. Seems to me like that type of role got lost in the rogue somehow.
    I mean, almost every fantasy book has a thief like character...and while I'm not saying that every embodiment of this type of role has to reflect the main stereotypes of this role, I still think the wow rogue didn't portray this role properly or to its full potential and nor did it rly add anything. I personally think it took a lot away from the mystique of the thief.
    Looking forward to seeing this enigmatic, shadowy role making a nice return.

So I'm quite lovin the GW2 thief

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    These complaints are based on the skill list that is available to us, the beta launched later.
    Wait.. you're telling me that people are complaining about a class they have yet to actually try?

Now I've seen everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    Wait.. you're telling me that people are complaining about a class they have yet to actually try?

Now I've seen everything.
    It works both ways. People are also saying certain professions will be awesome without hands-on experience. So far we can only discuss the skill lists, because that's all we know.

@Engineer: I think the problems with the Engineer will rather be overpowered than underpowered. They can have a massive amount of available skills at any given moment, so they'll be quite flexible. Maybe too much so.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

I see the Engineer being like WoW's druid, very adaptable. I'm going to try one out as all the classes look really interesting to play.

After reading the Wiki, I find the engineer can be quite fun. But I agree with edge: how can we state anything non-biased if we hardly know about them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazajin View Post
    I see the Engineer being like WoW's druid, very adaptable. I'm going to try one out as all the classes look really interesting to play.
    I'm going to agree with you on their adaptability, it does seem like it'll be onpar with vanilla/BC druids (current ones can't adapt at all due to the way bliz made hybrids) However, the theme of the class couldn't be any more different lol.

@Ynna A lot of the people that say, "X class will be super awesome" seem to be talking more like the theme/type of playstyle they'll have will be awesome rather then they'll be really strong. HOWEVER i have deffinently seen people complaining about how warriors and elems are OP and need nerfs -_-'
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Remember that most humans have a natural fear of the unknown, so people will be wary of the Engineer until they give it a go.

I'm strongly considering rolling one, though. Seems like they could be very useful. And being useful is my kind of fun.
    This, and also most people these days tend to make judgements based on nothing.

Thieves and Engineers will be fine, people are just stupid.

The thief and engineer are actually Schrodinger's Cats!

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    The thief and engineer are actually Schrodinger's Cats!
    LOL, exactly.

+1 internets

Deleted
    The Thief issue has started to lead a life of it's own. All they are doing right now is repeating themselves to feed the flame.
    Although I agree on some of the things they say, I think right now is not the time to complain. Most of us haven't even played the Thief.
    To answer your question: there's nothing wrong with the Thief, atleast, nothing CB can't fix. Have some trust in ANet

About the Engineer: It's a new class, so it isn't that strange that it's being criticized.
    All new concepts are criticized before they are accepted and embraced.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortcut View Post
    The Thief issue has started to lead a life of it's own. All they are doing right now is repeating themselves to feed the flame.
    Although I agree on some of the things they say, I think right now is not the time to complain. Most of us haven't even played the Thief.
    To answer your question: there's nothing wrong with the Thief, atleast, nothing CB can't fix. Have some trust in ANet

About the Engineer: It's a new class, so it isn't that strange that it's being criticized.
    All new concepts are criticized before they are accepted and embraced.
    Honestly, there shouldn't be that much wrong with the Thief. In their last blog post they said they updated the Thief to be a little bit more supportive, I've played a Thief on Gamescom 2011, it's pretty dynamic and fast but it lacked some support though. It seems that this has changed.

The Engineer is a side-story, because it's such a Dynamic class, many people are unable to play the Engineer as it should be played. I think between the Engineer you can find a gap between good players and less good players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    The Engineer is a side-story, because it's such a Dynamic class, many people are unable to play the Engineer as it should be played. I think between the Engineer you can find a gap between good players and less good players.
    That's why I like the Engineer so much.
    Where other classes have more defined playstyles, the Engineer is all about making the right decision at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Where other classes have more defined playstyles, the Engineer is all about making the right decision at the right time.
    That...and that they involve making big explosions

Exactly, it's for players who've played similar professions styles in previous games as well, knowing what your profession can do, when something would be the right time to do it. Darned it Mif, I would shit bricks if I had to face you in a PvP match... Oh shi-that Asura, RUN! /resign.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, it's for players who've played similar professions styles in previous games as well, knowing what your profession can do, when something would be the right time to do it. Darned it Mif, I would shit bricks if I had to face you in a PvP match... Oh shi-that Asura, RUN! /resign.
    lol me and my illusions would stand there and be like "Come at me bro!"
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Meh I'm still torn between engineer and guardian, will be one of those for my first most likely. I might shit bricks too if I faced mif but instead of running if I was an engineer I'd use said bricks for ammunition :P It may not be successful but at least it would be good for a laugh. And yes I loved the RockIt launcher in fallout 3.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    People are having an issue with the Thief's utility. They don't realise that a cross profession combo is more then putting down a patch of ice, it needs someone to send out ice projectiles, and that's the Thief's job.

The Engineers lack of popularity is solely due to unfamiliarity. Rogues will gravitate to the Thief, Hunters to the Ranger, but as Engineer is a new concept, it has to earn it's fanbase.
    As a rogue and warrior as mains back in WoW, I feel attracted to engineer more then thief. I can give stealh for more protection for me and others and slightly more utility as I see it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only real problem that I heard about thieves, and this being a major problem especially for pvp, was that they were the only profession without a condition removing skill. I don't know if this is changed yet, but that is a deal breaker right there. Imagine going back and playing a rogue now without cloak of shadows. Not really reasonable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    The only real problem that I heard about thieves, and this being a major problem especially for pvp, was that they were the only profession without a condition removing skill. I don't know if this is changed yet, but that is a deal breaker right there. Imagine going back and playing a rogue now without cloak of shadows. Not really reasonable.
    We haven't seen all the proffesion moves, it's been 100% confirmed by anet that elems will be able to summon elemental minions, yet we haven't seen a SINGLE SUMMON SKILL. There are more skills in the game then that are on the wiki, or in the demos. I think they said there will be 50 utility skills for each prof you can choose from...

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to be complaining that the thief can't effectively stun lock. Which I don't see as a problem. The games not out yet so everything can' be balanced yet. The engineer people don't like because it's different. Throwing a guy who relies on guns and gadgets into a fantasy game is like taboo to people. So other words people are just stupid.