Thread: [Anime] Clannad

[Anime] Clannad

have been watching the whole thing over the past week, done with Clannad, and more than half way through with Afterstory.

now before i get into it, i would just like to point out to typical anime fans, that this is not a typical anime.

there are no zombies, no demons, no "giant" robots.

it is really just about 2 peoples lives as they grow up, while there is some magic involved, its mostly pure.

i have to say this is probably the only anime in history that has ever made me teary eyed, it does a great job getting you invested in its characters and wishing you could hang out with them.

if you have netflix you can see both seasons entirely on it in dub.

i am not very good at writing reviews, so i thought i would quote some from netflix!

"First off let me say that this is the most wonderful anime series of all time. Please of you have not seen Clannad watch it and then watch this. You will not regret it one bit. I love this series. It has become my favorite in a very short period of time. This is a worthy following to Clannad. A lot of your favorite characters return even if it's briefly. And you get to know some of the characters that were introduced in Clannad better and some of them are very special. The super silly characters are just as silly if not more and that makes for very funny moments. The story telling is the best I have encountered. The characters are very relatable and you end up getting very attached to them. I equate this series to reading a very, very good book. It is not often where the characters show real human growth. They don't have super powers , they are not martial artist or whatever. They are really dedicated to growing as people. They also try and protect the things that are important to them. They encounter problems along the way like everyone and it is interesting to see how they deal with them. You want the two main characters to stay together so you could watch more of them because the more you watch this series the more you see how it is one of a kind. This series could be a lot of help for people in similar situations. Everyone feels stuck sometimes you know. Everyone has family problems. You could easily watch this in one sitting. As usual the animation is the finest of its kind. The intro and ending credits have amazing music, in fact the soundtrack is pretty fantastic. Episode 13 and 22 are amazing so I recommend having a box of tissue with you also you should not drink anything because it may come out of your nose. The first half is incredibly joyous and silly but the second is very sad and touching. I could not get myself to stop crying during certain moments and laughing out loud during others. I had to sit through the second half just to see how it ends"

---------------
    ---------------

"i cried so much during half of this my eyes hurt, the animation is lovely and the dub is very good, but i think its necessary to watch first CLANNAD and then clannad afterstory to fully understand the characters and the plot i loved it beautiful and emotional "

---------------
    ---------------

"For those who have seen Clannad, you know the quality of anime it is. After Story is like double on top of that. In After Story you get to see the characters more grown up. This also leads to various trials they have to face which was wonderfully written and animated. Really if you have reservations about the first series, at least watch that so you can watch this. After Story fleshes out many of the characters who didn't get as much screen time, as well as gives one of the best endings I've seen in a series. Many thanks to whoever in the industry, got both of these series into the states. Enjoy them! Even without an English dub, they are more than worth the time spent."

---------------
    ---------------

[EDIT]

so i just finished the series, and i must say, it was wonderful, towards the end there was a moment, where even when i tried my hardest i could not keep myself from crying, it was just so painful to watch, beautifully written. not to try and scare people away from watching it or anything.

after story definitely i think is the better half, but its so good because of the first half, so its really important to watch both seasons.

the entire series was animated very well, and the voice acting is also very good.

the only bad thing about the english dub is they never translate any japanese texts that it happens to show, and half the time the characters on screen never read what it says, so at times you are left in the dark.

but all in all, its just such a lovely tale, im sure to watch it all over again at some point.

the last few episodes were just over whelming, and a bit confusing if you fail to hear any important lines so pay attention haha.
    Last edited by orderschvank; 2012-01-02 at 07:10 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was never a huge fan of Key animes. They look good and have great music but that's about it. The stories and characters never really did anything for me (and I normally enjoy slice of life and fluff series.)

Deleted
    I loved Clannad. Great story, great soundtrack. Really made me think about the whole "growing up, entering society, building a family" thing.

aww well as much as i like clannad, i can't be disappointing when i hear someone doesn't like it, after all i doubt there is any show that 100% of people enjoy lol

Deleted
    As I fan of Manga/Anime I've only ever heard good things about Clannad. I know very well not to judge a book by its cover, and have been surprised at the quality of Manga/Anime that I previously had disregarded.

However, the only thought I have ever had about Clannad is how far apart the characters eyes are, and how its so subtle yet so off-putting its un-nerving.

One of my favorites. I felt for the characters, so much, when Nagia died, I felt like someone I knew died, and was depressed the following weekend. Fantastic show, really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    As I fan of Manga/Anime I've only ever heard good things about Clannad. I know very well not to judge a book by its cover, and have been surprised at the quality of Manga/Anime that I previously had disregarded.

However, the only thought I have ever had about Clannad is how far apart the characters eyes are, and how its so subtle yet so off-putting its un-nerving.
    haha, ya i cant argue with that, but for me it didnt bother me lol

but ya as far as not judging a book by its cover, im also glad i didnt with clannad, when it comes to netflix i try to watch higher rated shows regardless of the theme.

seeing as after story received a 4.4/5 from netflix viewers, i thought i would give clannad/ afterstory a shot and im so glad i did.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    One of my favorites. I felt for the characters, so much, when Nagia died, I felt like someone I knew died, and was depressed the following weekend. Fantastic show, really is.
    yes that moment was very said, and what happened after was even sadder to me i mean, not only did he lose his wife, but to lose his daughter, when she whimpered "i love you" in his embrace as her arms went limp, i just lost it, never cried so much for an anime before

but im glad things changed in the ending, made me not so sad in the end haha
    Last edited by orderschvank; 2012-01-02 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks for the post, I just finished Full Metal Panic and wanted a new anime to watch and this convinced me.