Sentinels/Marauder Viability? A few questions :)

Just a quick question regarding Sentinels/Marauders
    So far I've leveled up a Sniper to 45 and having grown tired of the number of problems leveling, bugs, badly laid out Warzones (from a Sniper/Gunslinger PoV) and of course the non-stop Huttball I have decided to re-roll republic. So far I have a Knight and Consular to 10 and I've decided I want to carry on with my Knight.

The time has come to choose an advanced class and I thought I really wouldn't mind playing either one. I've done some reading on the official forums regarding Sentinels/Marauders and I've seen an alarming number of threads of posts about Sentinels/Marauders being very ineffective in numbers of ways more specifically having poor damage output compared to other classes and having terrible survivability in the high level ranges.
    Granted Sentinels/Marauders don't have the awesome cooldowns that Juggernauts/Guardians have so questing alone may be more difficult but as far as my understanding goes these Sentinels/Marauders are pure DD classe so they should be making up for this lost survivability but apparently this isn't the case?

So my questions are:
    "How are Sentinels/Marauders performing in terms of PvP viability, PvE DPS and overall survivability?"
    "Is this a class I'll cap at 50 and wish I went for a DD Guardian/Juggernaut because their damage output and survivability trumps any spec of the Sentinels/Marauder?"
    "In terms of PvP, how do Sentinels/Marauders perform compared to Guardians/Juggernauts?"

Please save me before I pick something I may regret. All advice is welcomed.
    Many thanks <3
    Last edited by Robula; 2012-01-03 at 06:50 PM.

A Sniper being problematic in warzones? Sniper is one of the highest (if not THE highest) damage dealing class in both PvE and PvP if played right. You don't even need stealth for your big shots versus others like Operatives or Assassins, just cover.

Also wish people would stop using that word...

For pvp dps maurauder is great, if you prefer a more utility role in pvp (guarding huttball carrier etc) jugg is better. for pve..... if you want to raid i wouldn't go warrior at all, or if i did it would be jugg to tank, melee are at a huge disadvantage on the raids only real boss since it has a lot of targets popping up far from each other and you just fall behind and get overwhelmed with melee dps.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    A Sniper being problematic in warzones? Sniper is one of the highest (if not THE highest) damage dealing class in both PvE and PvP if played right. You don't even need stealth for your big shots versus others like Operatives or Assassins, just cover.
    Yeah, I can top the damage done in Warzones with my Sniper but I didn't ever say that was of any concern in my original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Also wish people would stop using that word...
    What word? "Viability"?
    Why not?

Also I wish people would stick to the topic instead going putting in little to the topic of hand and have a go at least answering at least one or half of the questions I asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Maes
    For pvp dps maurauder is great, if you prefer a more utility role in pvp (guarding huttball carrier etc) jugg is better. for pve..... if you want to raid i wouldn't go warrior at all, or if i did it would be jugg to tank, melee are at a huge disadvantage on the raids only real boss since it has a lot of targets popping up far from each other and you just fall behind and get overwhelmed with melee dps.
    Thanks, that's exactly the type of response I'm looking for.

I don't consider any Pure DPS Class in a game with no Hybrid Taxes to be Viable

I recommend you go Guardian/Juggernaut
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Robula View Post
    Yeah, I can top the damage done in Warzones with my Sniper but I didn't ever say that was of any concern in my original post.
    Because your complaints include issues with warzones. I'll admit I actually forgot to finish my point on it. But for the most part ranged classes (Sorc/Sniper especially) have it insanely easy in warzones, especially Huttball. As for the other two (bugs/leveling), no idea what you're even referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Robula View Post
    What word? "Viability"?
    Why not?
    Because it's the most misused word, ever. Something that is "viable" makes no assertions or guarantees as to the rate of success, only that it has a potential to be successful given the correct circumstances. People are often using it as a replacement for the word "optimal" or "effective," when it doesn't really apply at all. For all intents and purposes, auto-attacking your opponent is a viable means of killing them, because it could in actuality kill them...it is by no means "optimal."

Marauders are fun, but I'm still baffled why you're having problems as a Sniper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, jugg is hybrid, but when dual spec does come out..how good is juggetnauts dps spec vs others? >.>

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azax24 View Post
    Yeah, jugg is hybrid, but when dual spec does come out..how good is juggetnauts dps spec vs others? >.>
    Jugg/Guardian DPS is pretty abysmal at the moment. Even while leveling, it is better to do tank spec and bring a DPS or healer companion that try to DPS in those ACs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynati View Post
    Jugg/Guardian DPS is pretty abysmal at the moment. Even while leveling, it is better to do tank spec and bring a DPS or healer companion that try to DPS in those ACs.
    So then there is no true hybrid lol, beyond maybe the ranged dps / healer ac's.

This guy seems to do pretty well as a Sith (Marauder AC)... I reckon vids like this will increase the popularity of this class alot and the game tbh, which is a great thing.

He is playing "Rage" spec which mainly consists a combo which buffs your Smash ability (the stomp) with 100% damage increase and 100% Crit chance, Force crush or Choke -> Force Leap or Obliterate -> Smash followed by big numbers on up to 5 targets.

For PvP I think Huttball is awful for Marauders with all the ranged classes and different platforms, the other 2 warzones favour us alot more.

For PvE, I havent played another class past 20 yet, they dont seem amazing at present I am in two minds wether to try a ranged class because I dont really intend to PvP that much.