Deleted

New rig, old PSU

Hey guys,

Haven't built a PC in a while and getting somewhat paranoid over it.
    Since my last big upgrade is about 3 years old (minor parts since then), planning to upgrade from a Dual Core, Nvidia 7950GT and wanted some advice on weather my PSU will be able to handle this;

Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail
    Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DCII/2DI/1GD5 DirectCU II 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P Intel Z68 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
    Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V unbuffered [CMX8GX3M2A1333C9]

---
    Salvaging my HDD's (3) and using them too (Hard drive prices are INSANE at the moment)..

currently i've a Hiper 550W PSU, do i need to upgrade? I don't really plan on OCing, hence no K after the i5.

Cheers in advance.

Huge waste of money on that motherboard if you're not going to overclock. Get a h61/67 micro ATX board if you're only going to use one video card. They're 50-60 bucks. If you want to SLI/CFX in the future, get a full sized ATX h67 motherboard for 80ish.

As far as the PSU, we need to know the amperage, not just the wattage. Chances are though judging by the name that it's around 8-9 years old, and has had a good deal of capacitor degradation. I'd strongly suggest in investing in a new one.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to run it fine with your PSU, judging from the reviews I've googled.

If you do run into any problems with your new build then you know what to replace Although I doubt it.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Huge waste of money on that motherboard if you're not going to overclock. Get a h61/67 micro ATX board if you're only going to use one video card. They're 50-60 bucks. If you want to SLI/CFX in the future, get a full sized ATX h67 motherboard for 80ish.

As far as the PSU, we need to know the amperage, not just the wattage. Chances are though judging by the name that it's around 8-9 years old, and has had a good deal of capacitor degradation. I'd strongly suggest in investing in a new one.

The motherboard was more for the future incase I decide to O.C (and upgrade to a i7 or the likes, though heard they are bad for gaming -_-), so I didn't mind wasting a touch more to get a semi decent onboard sound system till then.

Its about 3/4 years old, so thats why i asked really. Think its best I invest in a new one. Cheers for the replies!

If it's only 3 or 4 years old it may be fine! Can you take a look at it and see what it lists the 12v rail at? Should say a number under 12v on the sticker such as "50A", etc. There also may be multiple 12v rails, so make sure to include both.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryAnt View Post
    The motherboard was more for the future incase I decide to O.C (and upgrade to a i7 or the likes, though heard they are bad for gaming -_-), so I didn't mind wasting a touch more to get a semi decent onboard sound system till then.

Its about 3/4 years old, so thats why i asked really. Think its best I invest in a new one. Cheers for the replies!
    If going for that motherboard now for future overclocking, i would highly suggest buying the i5 2500k straight away also, no point buying the non-K version if you know you can sit there later on and wanting to overclock, because then you would end up having to buy a new cpu and wasting more money than needed.

i7 2600k is not bad for gaming, its just that the i5 2500k gives the same performance, and is way cheaper, thats why the i5 2500k is the better gaming cpu for now.

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P is a really great motherboard for overclocking, i got it myself with a i5 2500k and i could get it up to 4,4GHz with vcore set to Auto, at 4,5GHz it became unstable, but that is when you start changing the vcore until it becomes stable again.

Also, while going for that cpu, motherboard and gpu, throw in a pair of 1600MHz rams at the same time. You can get them for the same price as the 1333MHz ones in most stores.