Why should I upgrade my GPU's?

My friend has been telling me that I should upgrade my graphics cards to something newer. I'm useing two GTS 250's in sli with a Intel Core i7-980X clocked at 4GHz. I have seen no point in upgrading these because any high graphical game that is released is always on the console and ported to PC with the same graphics. The consoles (excluding wii) have a gpu in them that is less then a single gtx 8800, but since games are optimized for their low end card I would bump up the graphical demand on a PC to be equal to a console at around a gtx 9800, which is an older form of the GTS 250. With two gts 250's and the six core i7, I find buying a new graphics card to be a blow out of money. It will all be a total waste when the next gen console comes out wich isn't going to be long. He keeps telling me to buy one while I keep saying, "I'm going to wait for the next gen console, and wait for the PC gpu equivalent to that of the new consoles."

Does anyone have a good reason for me to spend the big bucks on a pricey new gpu? I know dirextx11 may be a big one, but I have seen the differences between directx11,10, and 9. DX11 is definitely not worth it IMO.

I wouldn't bother replacing those cards until you decide to build a new system. If you are happy with the graphics, you're fine.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    If you are happy with the graphics, you're fine.
    This pretty much.

With a better card though, you can make games look much better then console. I went from SLI 8800GTS to this GTX 570 and the difference in Skyrim and BF3, both graphics quality and performance, is pretty obvious.
    Gaming: i5 2500k 4.6GHz | CM Hyper 212+ | GTX 570 @ 850 | 16GB RipjawsX 1600 | Crucial M4 64GB | MSI P67A-G43 | Creative X-Fi fatality
    Media: Intel C2Q6600 | 4GB DDR3 | Silent 8500GT | Creative Audigy2 | Logitech z5300 | Samsung 40" LCD
    Server: AMD Phenom x4 9550 | 6GB DDR2 | 5TB storage | Windows Home Server 2011

Cenarius:Alliance - Meown 400.6 - 6/8Heroic

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    I wouldn't bother replacing those cards until you decide to build a new system. If you are happy with the graphics, you're fine.
    That is how I have been seeing it. Every modern game I have played runs on the max settings with a perfectly smooth frame rate. I just can't enable the DX11 functions since the card dosn't support beyond DX10. It isn't worth unlocking the function If I have to spend a few hundred dollars to do so.
    Matter of fact, everyone should just buy this card and couple it with a good processor and you will be playing games just as fine as a computer that cost a few grand, just with out the support of dx11.
    Last edited by Nevintsha; 2012-01-06 at 08:45 PM.

I would suggest waiting at least another 6 months before considering it. DX11 isn't popular enough yet for that to be a key decision maker. Since 90% of current games are console ports, the DX11 portions tend to be tacked on afterwards and often only make minor differences. Same still goes for DX10.

Deleted
    well i can think of just one reason, to balance out your system. a 250 isnt a gpu meant for gaming. Also why on earth buy 2x 250s with a 980x?? Unless it was pre-made ofcourse.

But if you are happy with the system then dont upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    well i can think of just one reason, to balance out your system. a 250 isnt a gpu meant for gaming. Also why on earth buy 2x 250s with a 980x?? Unless it was pre-made ofcourse.

But if you are happy with the system then dont upgrade
    I got the 980x as a gift along with a new motherboard. The system originally came with i5 processor, but I replaced its motherboard with one that supported sli. Not long after and I got the new board, 16gigs of ram, and the new processor for Christmas. It didn't come with a new gpu so I'm continuing with using the old ones until the next gen console is released.

GTS 250 works perfectly fine enough for gaming. It doesn't like to be Oc'ed, but that doesn't matter when your games are console ports that don't exactly require themost high end of systems.