Thread: GPU for SWTOR?

Deleted

GPU for SWTOR?

I'm looking to buy a new GPU for SWTOR but cannot decide which, I have a budget of £200-£250, the ones I have seen are:-

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 2GB - £205

Or

PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB - £250

I'm open to recommendations as long as there in budget, I'm not interested in the new cards coming out as I cannot afford them and I know they are coming so hopefully some prices of current cards may come down.

Is 2GB needed for MMOs? I am playing at 1920x1080 so dont know if that makes any difference...

Specs of my current system is 2500k, 8GB ram, 8800GTX so hopefully with the new GPU I am hoping to be able to play SWTOR decently.

1 GB is good for MMOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nox25 View Post
    I'm looking to buy a new GPU for SWTOR but cannot decide which, I have a budget of £200-£250, the ones I have seen are:-

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 2GB - £205

Or

PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 6970 2048MB - £250

I'm open to recommendations as long as there in budget, I'm not interested in the new cards coming out as I cannot afford them and I know they are coming so hopefully some prices of current cards may come down.

Is 2GB needed for MMOs? I am playing at 1920x1080 so dont know if that makes any difference...

Specs of my current system is 2500k, 8GB ram, 8800GTX so hopefully with the new GPU I am hoping to be able to play SWTOR decently.
    Both of those cards are solid choices. SWTOR is a bit like wow when it comes to video cards. You will notice a small difference past a certain point, but there is no point in overdoing it. I would say 560ti, but not even necessarily the 2GB version because the processing power on the 560 isnt fast enough to ever play at a resolution to need that much VRAM. If you were going to go SLI or tri-SLI, that would be more reasonable. I would recommend saving a few bucks off that price and get the 1GB version of the 560ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just bought the MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB and I'm loving it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend the GTX 560 Ti. I've seen some ATI complaints about video clipping and stuttering. I don't know if it's hardware or driver related issues but they seems to be brought up alot in the tech support forums.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Azuri; 2012-01-07 at 01:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II and I love it as well. ^^

BTW, if you are willing to spend cash on a 2GB 560ti, you should just look into a GTX 570. Faster card all around, and 1.2GB of VRAM. A decent sweet spot, and around the price range of the 2GB 560ti.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you could look for the 448 560 ti...

At 1920x1080, 1GB~1.5GB of Vram is more than enough for any current games. The 560 Ti, but a 1GB variant is your best choice - £150~180. It's more than enough to run even Battlefield 3 and its ilk. This also leaves you semi-future proofed - if games take a crazy leap up in DX 11 graphics this year, you can just buy another 1GB 560 Ti, probably even cheaper than the first one and run them in SLI. Also, the 560 Ti's in general very overclockable, if you know what you're doing.

For a 2GB~3Gb video card, you've got to be pushing resolutions in the 2000x1000+ region to make use of that much Vram, or be running a multiple display setup. In 1920x1080, with maxed out settings (8xAA, 16xAF, Ultra on everything), Battlefield 3 still won't max out a 1GB card, though it may come close. Games like Skyrim, with extreme high-res texture packs and improved models etc etc, might push past the 1GB boundary, but even then, it will just chew up some of your 8GB of ram to fill in the overflow if the Vram can't cope alone.

Deleted
    Thanks for the responses, exactly what I needed to know

I'm using 560 Ti 1024mb, 120 fps ingame
    "No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass."
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...lvtwo/advanced

Deleted
    I'm maxing it with my 560 Titanium (1GB vRAM, 910Mhz core clock). How that holds up in heavier raid-like scenarios I do not know, but in solo content it can easily climb as high as 100fps.