Deleted

[Movies] Sweeney Todd

I have just watched Tim Burtons adaption of Sweeney Todd for the first time and i watched it with le mother. As the credits started rolling i looked over to my mother for her approval that, that was possibly the best musical ever made, she disagreed completely.

She said the film was just a gore fest but i thought that added to the art of the film and the feelings behind Todd

I've never been much of a movie critic as i dont tend to see bad points in films but am i right in thinking this movie was artistic, interesting and overall amazing to watch or am i missing something?

inc bias.

I love Sweeney Todd. So much.

I normally dont care for Tim Burton or Johnny Depp because well, their films arent really /that great/ when you look for things like Plot, and important things.

However Sweeney Todd is absolutely not only one of the best films, but one of the best musicals ever. If you can find the original on broadway anywhere on the internet, watch it. Its even better.

Almost makes up for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Almost. The original is the second-best musical ever, and he screwed it up. I will never forgive him for that.

The gore was excessive, I think, but it was a good movie. My favorite of Burton's.

First of all, I hate musicals myself. But I liked this movie by fastforwarding through the bulk of the singing, it has a good story.

I've been exposed to musical theater since I was a very young child. My mom was into "Show tunes" and my older sister got into Musical Theater when she went to a school for the arts for middle and high school. A few years later, when I was of the appropriate age, I followed, but I was into normal theater as opposed to musical theater. Never cared much for the singing and dancing.

Needless to say, though, over the years I've seen a TON of musicals, both from what our school produced (Northwest School of the Arts in Charlotte, NC) as well as a few professional productions and, of course, film musicals. While we were both at the school, my sister was involved in the production of Sweeney Todd sometime in the early-mid 2000s. It was instantly my favorite musical at that point.

I'm a moderate fan of Tim Burton's work, purely for the aesthetic, and I do believe Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are two fantastic actors, so being a fan of the original and a fan of the people involved in the movie, I had very high expectations. I was blown away.

First, the production stayed EXTREMELY true to the screenplay. Tim Burton's art style lends itself PERFECTLY to the mood of Sweeney Todd, and Johnny Depp makes a fantastic Sweeney and Helena Bonham Carter makes a pretty good Mrs. Lovett.

Of course, Tim Burton would make anything a little more bloody than it probably should be, but I didn't find it overtly gory.

Hell, if my very conservative mother, who is almost 60 now, can walk out of the theater with a smile on her face after watching it, I'd have to conclude that your mother is a bit of a snob.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 07:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Almost makes up for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Almost. The original is the second-best musical ever, and he screwed it up. I will never forgive him for that.

The gore was excessive, I think, but it was a good movie. My favorite of Burton's.
    Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is much like his Alice. It was Burton being bored and taking something he liked and making it completely his own. If you compare them to their source material, of course you'd consider them inferior. But you should appreciate them as their own beasts instead of "remakes."

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post

Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is much like his Alice. It was Burton being bored and taking something he liked and making it completely his own. If you compare them to their source material, of course you'd consider them inferior. But you should appreciate them as their own beasts instead of "remakes."
    I just hate it for 1) Johnny Depp being the worst Willy Wonka ever and 2) the music just being... completely unpalatable to me. That's mostly just my tastes though.

I like Alice. I liked the old Alice too. The visuals in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are great... and then you focus the whole story on Johnny Depp being a man-child, having Charlie basically just be a soul-less, sort of dopey 'perfect selfless' kid, and good God, I never want to see that movie again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hated it. Though, frankly, I'm pretty sick of the constant Burton/Depp pairing.