Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by crittcann View Post
    chat bubbles clutter my screen too much, I'm glad they aren't in there.
    And they would be optional and off by default. Just like in LOTRO, Rift and WoW.

The interface design team failed this game. The maps are buggy. The chat is buggy. The Auction House interface is crappy. Half the basic things mmo users expect just don't exist, chat bubbles being one of them. Let's face it. They failed.

Now, just about everything else in this game is either glorious or good enough for launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleshashi View Post
    The interface design team failed this game. The maps are buggy. The chat is buggy. The Auction House interface is crappy. Half the basic things mmo users expect just don't exist, chat bubbles being one of them. Let's face it. They failed.

Now, just about everything else in this game is either glorious or good enough for launch.
    Auction House interface isn't that bad, just takes some getting used to. I haven't seen any argument against the Auction House besides "I have to click on things." By all reasons, if they simply add in the functionality of searching without choosing categories it'd be really decent.

OT, chat bubbles are chat bubbles. Not everyone cares about them or for them. Myself, I just never notice them enough to care one way or another, its not like I actually read the bubbles, I still just read the chat log, especially with more than one person talking and the bubbles start covering each other up.

The Auction House interface does not let you search by item slot, for instance. Whut?

Hell, it routinely just fails to return complete search results based on its own menu options. For instance, you can put that you want to search for items usable by your companion, but it won't find anything.

I do hear they are redoing it. That will be nice.

However, I can't imagine how or why these relatively simple UI things weren't functional at launch. I imagine that level design, combat system and the game engine were much more demanding tasks. But the UI people typically have their own department.

Funny I never knew how much people liked chat bubbles. In WoW I always turned em off. Not having them never even crossed my mind until I saw so many complicating about it. Makes you wonder why they left em out.
    "Peace is a lie"

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I can't see why Chat Bubbles are needed. I have never used them, they completely break game immersion.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    But, thanks for calling us cute. - Buckwald
    Did you just call yourself "cute" Buckwald?!

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Honestly I can't see why Chat Bubbles are needed. I have never used them, they completely break game immersion.
    They are used by roleplayers. Clearly you are not one. (Also you clearly didn't read the first sentence of the OP... )

Chat bubbles should have been Implemented at launch. If Bioware has a reason why It's not In yet, It better be a damn good explanation.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    this is my thought as well. i never liked speech bubbles and frankly, they seem silly and 'comic book-ish'.

While I agree with you, that doesn't mean you're right. Other people, for some reason, enjoy having them.

I'll stand on my soapbox and defend this game left and right, but I really don't see why they weren't added at launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
    Which is more important: key gameplay systems integral to progression and used by 100% of the playerbase, or cosmetic niceties such as chat bubbles and other RP game features, which are used by a much smaller population segment?
    False dichotomy.

This. With absolutely every interesting feature, there will be people who will be against it for whatever retarded reason. THIS is why MMOs aren't fun anymore - because devs try to please everyone.

---------- Post added 2012-01-07 at 11:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Oh, because when characters stand and talk to each other without uttering a single sound and moving a single muscle is SOOOO immersive!
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm genuinely surprised there are tons of people QQing about speech bubbles and everyone's overlooked something even more important... COMBAT WINDOW! I want to see who hit me when so I can prepare for it. I really miss that.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I hope they introduce a choice selection of the UI features that WOW has, and then unlock the API (carefully) to allow the greater community look after our modding needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Oh, it was reported, along with thousands of other issues. It's just that BW decided there's no point including any of the basic, important features of all other MMOs, since they got the Star Wars brand.
    yup you can thank ea for pushing this shit out the door just like they did with War

Deleted
    One thing speech bubbles does is visually see who's talking in /say easily... I find it 10x more immersive if I visually see random folk talking without looking at the tiny chatbox

I think the game right now has other priorities nevertheless its something they should add.

Which is more important: key gameplay systems integral to progression and used by 100% of the playerbase, or cosmetic niceties such as chat bubbles and other RP game features, which are used by a much smaller population segment?
    How hard can it possibly be to add a few simple UI options (Chat bubbles, Fixing the auto center of the camera, etc..). Honestly, there is no real excuse to not have a proper UI in 2012, Bioware really needs to fix this ASAP.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, should they work on that, or speech bubbles? Seriously, development time is limited, and you can't just throw more programmers at these kinds of things. That's all I was trying to communicate. Software development is a complex process, even more complex is systems as large as TOR.
    Any half-decent freelance programmer could have chat bubbles in the game in under an hour. I'm not joking.

I REALLY do miss my chat bubbles. It gave me instant clarification as to where a conversation takes place - and I'm not even a role-player!

That's not the only thing. There are so many aspects to this game UI that seriously irritate me - even if it is a really trivial thing such as: when you go to add a friend, the cursor doesn't automatically prepare for typing the friend name so you end up TRYING to type it and instead opening all your ruddy interfaces up by accident. Same thing happens on the launcher. Is this fixed yet?

ps: area loot and companion sell junk are AWESOME features. gg.