Should i wait or not?

Hello guys!

For some time i've been wanting to build my own computer (a gaming rig).
    But now i'm hesitating, a new generation of gpu's is about to come out and we can also expect the ivy-bridge coming out in april.

So what would be the smartest thing to do?
    Wait and just hold on to my old laptop until april or should i make a sandy bridge build ?

I'm just wanting some opinion, because i seriously don't have a clue.
    I just want to get rid of this old PC but i don't know if it's worth the wait.

There's always something new around the corner. What kind of games are you interested in playing with this rig? Just WoW? FPS-games?
    What kinds of resolutions?
    Ivy Bridge will be an improvement, but it will not be as big (from Sandy Bridge) as going from a laptop to a Sandy Bridge desktop.

I'd wait for the 7000 series, but not ivy bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    There's always something new around the corner. What kind of games are you interested in playing with this rig? Just WoW? FPS-games?
    What kinds of resolutions?
    Ivy Bridge will be an improvement, but it will not be as big (from Sandy Bridge) as going from a laptop to a Sandy Bridge desktop.
    I play WoW, Skyrim, Counter Strike,...
    I plan on playing SWTOR, BF3, SR3,Rage,... but my laptop just can't handle those things atm so i'm not buying them until i get that rig.
    Apart from gaming i would also be video editing a bit for future projects.

To be honest, it seems you could go either way.
    By waiting, you'd gain a bit of performance, but by plunging now, you'd be having more fun for a longer period of time.

I'd personally do it now; The relatively small gains compared to the fun you could have. At most, I'd do like Keller suggest and await the new Radeon HD7000-series, as they are quite a bit step-up from current generation GPUs, by the looks of things, even for the non-highest levels.
    nVidias answer is more than 4+ months away, likely 2-3 from Ivy Bridge.

Thanks for the opinions!
    This will help me alot

I feel like PC's are something you do a solid week of research on and then buy when you can. No matter what as previously stated above something new is always coming out, that is technology!