Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    First play through? No.

Alts? I spam spacebar+1

I turned on subtitles and spammed it, it's much more enjoyable to read and get back in to the game than wait on the dialogue delivery.

the first few days of the game the cutscenes were great. now? god are they getting annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I skip dialogues mostly when aliens not using English are talking for too long. Listening to a wookie growl or a hutt gurgle for 30 seconds makes my ears bleed. Otherwise, I do listen to the voiceovers. Once I'm playing an alt however, I'll probably skip the sidequest dialogues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    If your skipping dialogs are over within 3 secs...so you got your quick quest pickup and we get to enjoy the dialogs.

Besides the voice quest picking the game is the same as any other MMORPG is. So I don't understand arguments that questing is boring...when you are going to play a MMORPG you will be doing a lot of random killing and gather drops for quests. What else would you expect.
    I dont think anyone argued that questing is boring, so I dont know where you got that idea from. Theres more to questing than the story element obviously. I prefer the part where you get to actually play your character and progress through the game. To each his own.

Anyways, good to see Im not the only one doing this and still manage to enjoy the game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage Quit View Post
    I find this depressing that people buy a story based game but have no time for the story. :/

But I do space bar through dialogue i've seen half a hundred times before and after I've quickly read text when a NPC is speaking alien. I find alien language irritating.
    What annoys me about the alien language that they talk in their alien language and then their is silence for 3-4 sec before the next bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    What annoys me about the alien language that they talk in their alien language and then their is silence for 3-4 sec before the next bit
    oh god the Dashadde have to have the most inconsitent language in the universe. He literally says one word and its an epic ballad

I watch class quest stuff and skip the quest things. Just hitting space bar until I see a lightside/darkside option to make that choice.

Some of the darkside dialogue is pretty funny though. I do sit through some of the executions. (seriously that warden in Belsavis was hilarious)

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    If your skipping the cut scenes your first time through on quests then your simply playing the wrong game. Its no wonder why people who do this then turn around and complain that the quests are boring blah blah. Of course if you take all the meaning and context out of the quest, which the cut scene provides its no wonder you find them dull and boring.

I have had the best questing moments of ANY MMO ive played in this game. There are just some truly awesome and fun choices you get to make and see the outcomes of. Its sad to see people cheapen the experience but what ever floats your boat I guess. However you would be better served playing a console game, FPS or some other text based game cause this game really isnt your style.

I am enjoying myself on my way to endgame and very much look forward to getting into raiding and organized pvp with my guild soon. For those of you who say their is nothing to do.. then I guess we are playing different games cause I see lots to keep us occupied with more on the way in a couple of weeks. If raiding and pvp isnt your thing.. just like the cut scenes .. then I would have to say your just playing a game that doesnt cater to your taste in gaming and you need to find one that does.
    I started spacebarring past level 35 because many of the quests were simply extremely boring. I don't need a Sith captain voicing the fact that his incompetent Sith troopers need me to bail them out with each Imperial camp I go to. It just gets tedious.

Class story and more unique storyline stuff (like Voss) was much more interesting to sit through. It depended on the quest.

i skip 80% of the time but i like to watch the class storyline, especially Jedi Knight story. But just like any MMO i dont even read it, like for example in WoW i just see the exclamation point and click it, accept it, follow the map and kill stuff....samething i do in swtor, get every available quest, skip talk, press M and get to the questing area, do the quest and bam!

On my first level 50 I watched them all because I found them interesting.

On my alt though, I'm spacebaring through almost everything except class quests. I don't really have much interest in hearing the same story twice :P Similarly, I rarely like to watch a movie twice and never will read a book twice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    If your skipping the cut scenes your first time through on quests then your simply playing the wrong game. Its no wonder why people who do this then turn around and complain that the quests are boring blah blah. Of course if you take all the meaning and context out of the quest, which the cut scene provides its no wonder you find them dull and boring.

I have had the best questing moments of ANY MMO ive played in this game. There are just some truly awesome and fun choices you get to make and see the outcomes of. Its sad to see people cheapen the experience but what ever floats your boat I guess. However you would be better served playing a console game, FPS or some other text based game cause this game really isnt your style.

I am enjoying myself on my way to endgame and very much look forward to getting into raiding and organized pvp with my guild soon. For those of you who say their is nothing to do.. then I guess we are playing different games cause I see lots to keep us occupied with more on the way in a couple of weeks. If raiding and pvp isnt your thing.. just like the cut scenes .. then I would have to say your just playing a game that doesnt cater to your taste in gaming and you need to find one that does.
    Thank you for telling me how I should play a game.

@bold

I find the cutscenes dull. How is it gonna be less dull if I force myself to watch it? Again just the cutscenes, not the actual questing per se. I think the writing is sub-par. Its not engaging or interesting to listen to.

As for the dialogue choices shaping different outcomes..
    I was asked to kill a person and I felt inclined to choose the dialogue option that would go the other direction and save said person because I kinda liked him. One dialogue option would read something like "No way I will do this, he has been good to me.", but the only thing that happened is the questgiver goes on and on about why I have to kill the person. In the end it didnt matter what option I chose (you are forced to accept the class quests).

Some of the stories are good. In fact, the stories are the best part of the game.

If I were to spam spacebar and skip the cutscenes then what would I be doing in that time instead?? ---> Collect 20 rat tails, hack into 10 computers, bring an NPC 15 antidotes!

Cutscenes > Fetch Quests

It would be one thing to rush through the cutscenes to get to the "good parts" of the game... but the cutscenes ARE the good parts. The rest of the game sucks in comparison.
    Last edited by Borzo; 2012-01-07 at 08:18 PM.

At first I just space barred through the droids talking, I couldn't handle there idiotic dialog, but now I've started to space bar more and more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am spacebarring through most now that I am just tired of leveling and want a 50. The decisions do not require listening. If I mess up and make a bad choice I just redo the dialogue.

I will likely go back to story mode on any other toons. I am just sick of questing now.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayelinn View Post
    Maybe I am impatient
    Indeed you are.

Deleted
    If you dont like the quest system in SWTOR i recommend you just dont bother playing it as this is the backbone of the game for the vast majority of fans. It is understandable to skip through quests already done with alts but even most of those offer subtle differences we appreciate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sileh View Post
    Haha! Yea, first time I played in beta I thought this was a bug (maybe it is, i don't know.) or maybe it was just my comp.
    But as for me, I'm like most of the people here. Unless its a class quest or a new quest, then I spacebar through it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Story driven MMO, I understand this and don't complain.. however, I also have subtitles on and read the text and continue. Like others, I watch the class quests as they continue to get more detailed as you progress through the content. Although I'm not a very driven RP style of player its sometimes a nice change of standard content from previous mmo titles.

Not sure how this system works practically in the raiding.. I haven't reached level 50 yet as I'm bouncing between 2 toons with friends, enjoying the game.
    "So what do you guys do outside of video games?"
    <Awkward silence, pause>

Sometimes when I'm focusing on my class story and I pass through a quest hub full of non-English speakers begging to read me their 5-paragraph essays about why I should click 5 computers in a field full of enemies, I'll just grab quests and spam spacebar.

I've come to realize that those alien questgivers are the "filler quests" of SWTOR and very rarely offer any rewarding story apart from "Jedi! You must help!" "It is my duty to serve." *you read several paragraphs of whining with alien noise in your ear* "What would you have me do?" *you read several paragraphs of whining with alien noise in your ear* "Consider it done." *you read several paragraphs of whining with alien noise in your ear*

I'll watch the cutscenes for my class quests though, and I'll generally listen to the questgivers that speak English because there's at least a chance that something interesting will develop. But I'm seriously becoming racist to those aliens who, when I'm rushing to prevent a political assassination, will beg me to hear out how all their friends exploded and they need me to click a computer in the other direction.

Imagine Luke turning himself in to confront his father, but on the way an Ewok stops him and, completely in subtitles, says, Jedi! Are you busy? Five of my friends are in cages! We were on a hunting mission, which we typically do on Tuesdays because Tuesday night is wookiee night and our wives will respect us less if we can't feed them wookiee, when we were ambushed by Imperials! I honestly don't know what problem Imperials have with us Ewoks, I mean we're just teddy bears with spears that live in trees, but these Imperials were insulting us left and right and, when push came to shove, they just grabbed five of my friends and ran! Luckily, I escaped because I'm crafty, but the Imperials are probably eating my friends as we speak! Jedi, if you're not too busy, could you rescue my friends in the complete opposite direction that you're going?" Options: "Fuck this Ewok." "I'll do it this afternoon!" "Yes, this has absolutely everything to do with me and what my character's motivations are. Darth Vader and the Emperor will have to wait."