10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation

Any way to prolong the life of my old computer?

Greetings,
    After nearly 5 years of service, my computer (Intel Core 2 6420, 2,13 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, Geforce 8800 GTS) has been getting more and more sluggish lately.
    The thing that worries me most is that my graphic card now runs at 80+ degrees while the computer does nothing, and spikes as high as 110 degrees while playing.
    The other thing is that the computer is taking longer and longer to perform even simple tasks such as switching browser windows. This is especially pronounced when i try doing anything after quitting any game.

My graphic card drivers are up to date. Is there any way i can reverse this trend, or at least stop the computer from degrading any further (As of now I can do 25 man raids, barely)
    Thanks a lot in advance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd buy an extra fan for your case to try and get a bit more airflow in there...

First thing i would do...

Check to make sure the fan on your video card isn't clogged up with dust/hair. You might as well check all of the fans in your PC as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open your GPU completely, detach the fan from the gpu itself by removing some of the screws and remove the dust from behind the cooling pad/fan.

It helped my old computer, decreased the temperatures by around 20-40 degrees.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

just be careful and remember wich part goes where while you are removing them :P

Need to take care of your GPU just like your CPU. Reseat it with new paste and a cooty cleaning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deep clean the whole computer, reapply thermal compound, and dust it all out. Also clean up your HDD's and erase things you don't need and defrag them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting