The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Asus Xonar DX coming, need suggestions.

Hey folks and thanks for taking a look at this thread. I wanted to ask for suggestions on how best to test out the Asus Xonar DX sound card I have coming in the mail sometime within the next week. I realize my sound system is not the best stuff, but for now at least, it will have to do.

2.1 speaker system: Logitech Z2300. I actually really love these speakers, I've had them for 3 or 4 years now and they have never shown any wear, the sound has always been crisp and clean, and they put out some amazing volume.
    Headset: Plantronics Gamecom "7.1" 377 headset. I realize these are not very high quality, but they have always been comfortable and are now about a year old and still going strong. While I would love a pair of Sennheiser HD558/598s or the like, I simply do not have the disposable money at the time, as I would want a Xonar Essence STX with those, anyways. I also use these for high volume when I play to music on the drums, so they do go through more of a "beating" than the Z2300s.

I'm asking for suggestions on games, audio, anything to really test this sound card out well. I'm a big one for progressive metal like Dream Theater and I can't wait to hear what their music sounds like on a sound card, and yes, I will listen to them in .wav formats, as I have the original CDs. I am also one for in-game sounds and music, such as SWTOR at the current time. I'm not so sure SWTOR has the most amazing sounds/music though to truly test a sound card, so I'm asking for suggestions on games that really have some killer ambiance and what not...

Here are some games that I have at my disposal to test out, just wanting suggestions for more or if any of these are truly special in the sound market, which I am sure the first is.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - I think we all know that not only is this game creepy as all hell, but if you have played it for even 5 minutes, you know the ambiance and music will mess with your head, as much as I hate to go back and play it again (I have played a collective amount of about 45 minutes, I think! lol)
    Starcraft 2 - When I have played it the sounds sound pretty decent, but how much will it take advantage of a dedicated sound card?
    Rift
    Like I said, SWTOR.
    Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (never played it as it froze when I tried to a couple months ago, is it worth it for testing a sound card?)

If you guys have any suggestions for other games - cheap or free that have great sound, please post them here.

Thanks for reading and for any helpful replies!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    You're not going to notice anything in the headset department. Doesn't the "7.1" headset have a built in sound card? It bypasses the internal. And even if it didn't, sound cards tend to help speakers way more than headsets.

Speaker wise, you have an awesome setup. If you want to hear the most of it, play Battlefield 3. I've never experienced such a sensational audio experience than I had in that game. It was amazing, the first time I heard it through my new headphones. I was awestruck.

Edit: I stand corrected, those are 3.5mm "7.1" headphones. You may notice a difference with a sound card then.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2012-01-08 at 07:39 AM.