Official Forums - were you posting before WoW released?

it really annoys me that the negative crowd from wow forums have really invaded Tor ones, i was hoping for a clean start forum wise there too, but all the backbiting, massive complaining etc from wowis there in Tor.

For those who've been around, are all video game forums like this? or is it a wow thing? What was it like before wow? were the player crowd this bitchy and negative/grumpy about everything? Or is it the wow crowd? I know the mmo core from Ever Quest transferred to wow when it came out, just like it seems the wow core has transfered to ToR, was EQ forums quite bad too? and with this only EQ and not other mmos or games like SW Galaxies/DotA /NWN / MGS etc that were about?

curious to know.

Not entirely sure as I wasn't massively into WoW when I first got it, but the general attitude in WoW has gone from "Wow nice game" to "WHERES MY EPICS" or "l2p STOP BEING SHIT". So perhaps, you'd probably want someone who read the forums then to elaborate but I'd guess it probably wasn't as bad if it was similar.

It has been and always will be this way. You have to realize in video games, MMO in particular, you have to deal with a wide range of ages and walks of people. As that number increases the odds of you running into a vocal asshole increases. We are talking millions of people that can say whatever they want without worrying about getting punched in the face for it (thanks internet). So combine the numbers with vale of internet concealment and you end up with a very loud minority that complains about things in a manner they never would to someone that could put them in check. Best part about it is these people usually tug-a-war with each other for internet ego points that no one keeps track of or remembers much past the moment -- but in the end it is just what you should come to expect. The easier you just look past them and around them the easier it is to ignore it and just take them for what they are. Someone that seeks attention usually at the cost of others good time or productivity.

omgosh Yggdrasil that is so true, especially this tug-a-war for ego poiints, i have noticed it big time, especialy on the US servers, like people keep track of certain people and regarldess of the topic, there seems to be some sort of power struggle, war going that if one person upports one thing the other will come and oppose it and flame it , nd i coudln't figure out any logical reason because as fatr as the main thread was concrened it amd esense, so why were these lot going at it like that?

sometimes the smallest most in-consequential thing could set it up, a simple help question or question about something or obseration, then player X says something, then adversary Y steps in, and there we go.

People rarely go on forums to say positive things. Doesn't matter if the forum is for WoW or any other game (even single player ones). That's all you need to know.

15+ Year Old Account
    At least the MMO-Champion forums are generally free of "This game sucks and will be F2P within 6 months" threads that appear daily on the official forums. The criticism here tends to be constructive (but not always).

OP: Some people are entitled whiners, end of story.

I guess you had to have played WoW in order to not like a game. Thanks for the generalization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    At least the MMO-Champion forums are generally free of "This game sucks and will be F2P within 6 months" threads that appear daily on the official forums. The criticism here tends to be constructive (but not always).

OP: Some people are entitled whiners, end of story.
    I'm sorry but the MMOC forums can be best summed up by "This game sucks and will be F2P within 6 months" threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    For those who've been around, are all video game forums like this?
    Not on this scale (as it had a couple orders of magnitude less players), but i remember the forums for UO being pretty much the same a decade ago, with constant flaming, trolling, whining, etc. At some point EA just nuked the UO forums and told everybody to go to fan sites, i hope it doesn't come to this with SW:TOR >.>

Deleted
    They aren't, but the mods are extremely good at deleting crap like that asap.

The SWTOR forum mods have been very relaxed in locking threads. The majority of the threads there are just troll posts designed to illicit the maximum number of responses, others are downright silly or just plain lies. Trolling will die down when another games gets released

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The wow forums evolved over the years, in the beginning it wasnt great; but nowhere near what it is today. I dont think its just a wow thing but more of a "hey Im an internet cool guy thing"

Eh. The more popular a game gets, the more negative attention is draws. You have a certain type of people out there who HAVE to have things exactly their way, all the time. If it isn't then it SUCKS AND IS GONNA DIE.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    when i first started wow, about a week before BC, the official wow forums were mostly helpful with about maybe 1 in 100 people being idiotic/silly.

it wasn't until arena kicked into high gear and turned into an e-sport, that the wow forums quickly went downhill. i would say early '08 maybe, is when i noticed a major shift in the attitudes.

Deleted
    This is mostly an effect of the internet anonymity. Plus, the elitist approach people tend to have while playing a mmo. It's not a WoW thing and I'm not surprised to see it continue on every new mmo. It's just natural to be more humble during the first months of SWTOR as none can state that he has more knowledge of the game than you. When torhead starts to get filled in, parsers make guides of classes, things are going to be worse.