Deleted

Dodge / Parry diminishing returns

Can somebody tell me, how does this work exactly. What is the time until the DR is reset and is there ANY WAY to keep track of those diminishing returns. Encounters like Baleroc required me to parry the decimation strikes. But I am clueless when its going to be reset again!

Deleted
    i always thought that the diminishing returns mean only the more % you have the less % you get for equal amounts of rating...

Dr doesn't reset or anything like that. Dr is pretty simple... Each addition rating point is worth less avoidance than the previous.

The formula is along the lines of 1/((1/c)+(k/a))
    Where c and k are class specific. And a is your pre-dr avoidance (rating * 179.71899)

For a war, pal, dk c=65.63144 and k=.956
    Druid c=116.8907 and k=.972

Anyways I didn't think decimation strike was subject to avoidances?

Deleted
    Ok, sorry, I always thought that after dodging 3 strikes you were on DR for a few seconds in which your dodge chance is lower then usual. Makes sense now!

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no "reset" to DR. As you acquire more dodge/parry rating, the ratings provide less and less points of dodge/parry percentage.

For instance, going from 0-100 dodge rating might provide 5% dodge, while going from 100-200 dodge rating will provide an increase of say, only 4% dodge.

This was introduced sometime in BC I believe, or at the beggining of WotLK, because both dodge, parry, and armor became better the more you had of it. AKA getting 100-200 dodge rating gave MORE mitigation then 0-100 dodge rating. With diminishing returns, dodge/parry rating, and armor became linear instead of exponetial.

In other words, Dodge/Parry diminishing returns arent something to worry about in gearing, beyond trying to keep the dodge/parry ratings relatively equal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Couple of things wrong with this post i'll clear up for you.
    A. Diminishing returns are what everyone is saying above, more points you put into dodge or parry, the less each new one will be worth. SO, it's advised to reforge them to balance them out. Try to get the numbers about even. Mastery is not subject to Diminishing returns, so you can stack the hell outa it. Also you wanna pay attention to how much TOTAL avoidance you have as a warrior or paladin. 114.5% or something like that is unhitable status, any avoidance over that is a waste, so go stam from there.
    B. Baleroc's decimation blade can be dodged, NOT parried lol. So having a dodge trinket for that fight is helpful, so you're not some low HP tank with tons of avoidance. The Brawlers's trinket from Brewfest is a particularly good one to have. Since I mentioned low hp=tons of avoidance tank is bad i'll explain why that is.
    C. Vengeance stacks get higher the more damage you take, higher HP means you can get more vengeance, more vengeance = more tank dps, more tank dps boss dies faster. Also, most boss battles in Dragon Soul deal magic damage, so your avoidance doesn't help you AT ALL. That is why you want a nice balance to high HP (Like over 200K fully buffed and flasked is good, for heroics i'd say 250K HP) and having high avoidance and mastery as well. DK & Bear tanks are especially tricky to find that sweet balance, so just stack dodge as a bear, and Mastery as a DK, get high HP each chance you get, and balance out their avoidance. Those two types of tanks are more about how you play, not what you play.

Hope I was helpful, good luck tanking out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Diminishing Returns the OP was thinking of (I beleive) are the DR related to continually Fearing or Banishing or Polymorphing etc. DR in the case of the defensive ratings work differently. Your first 100 of the rating will be more effective than your second which will be more effective than your third and so on.

Reforge Dodge into Parry (or vice-versa) to keep them approximately equal, though Mastery for the Plate classes can provide another effective defensive avenue to explore, but this is now leaving the scope of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    The Diminishing Returns the OP was thinking of (I beleive) are the DR related to continually Fearing or Banishing or Polymorphing etc. DR in the case of the defensive ratings work differently. Your first 100 of the rating will be more effective than your second which will be more effective than your third and so on.

Reforge Dodge into Parry (or vice-versa) to keep them approximately equal, though Mastery for the Plate classes can provide another effective defensive avenue to explore, but this is now leaving the scope of this thread.
    He's not talking about Fear, Poly, or CC diminishing returns at all. That's more of a pvp question, and he's asking about pve tanking. Dude, don't post on a thread with out reading what it's about. . .

Deleted
    Go read this thread, shows how DR decays with more rating, tables and pictures, woot woot :P
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...returns+visual

Quote Originally Posted by Sageofthe10paths View Post
    He's not talking about Fear, Poly, or CC diminishing returns at all. That's more of a pvp question, and he's asking about pve tanking. Dude, don't post on a thread with out reading what it's about. . .
    Maybe you should take your own advice. Op got confussed between cc DR and rating DR, pretty easy to do if you are newer to the game. To clear a few things up, you want to reach 102.4 dodge+parry+block+5, after it depends on your class. Paladins start stam stacking while warriors will still want mastery as crit blocks are awesome.

And you can parry decimation blade, but not block. So having an on use parry or dodge trinket is extremely helpful.
    Whether the world's greatest gnats or the world's greatest heroes, you're still only mortal!

Quote Originally Posted by Sageofthe10paths View Post
    He did read what it's about, and he is correct, the OP is confusing the concept of DR as it applies to CC with the concept of DR as it applies to tanking stats. That's where their intial confusion comes from.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWiggles View Post
    Maybe you should take your own advice. Op got confussed between cc DR and rating DR, pretty easy to do if you are newer to the game. To clear a few things up, you want to reach 102.4 dodge+parry+block+5, after it depends on your class. Paladins start stam stacking while warriors will still want mastery as crit blocks are awesome.

And you can parry decimation blade, but not block. So having an on use parry or dodge trinket is extremely helpful.
    And the same would go to you lol...
    Warriors DONT stack mastery after ctc cap...this tier, its all about stamina, even for warriors...why would we want to stack a stat that just lost 50% of its value...