bad hard drive. how long is it going to last?

Hey MMO-C guys. I just bought a "new" (recertified) HDD from Newegg and about two weeks in it's dying. According to HDS (hard disk sentinel) my reallocated sectors count has gone from 15 to 546 to 952 to 1246 in the past two days. How long is this thing going to last me? Could anybody give me an ETA on it's death?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136591

can't say how long it gonna last but i wouldn't take chance. doesn't newegg have a return or replacement policy. if they do i would look into doing it asap

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hagar4172 View Post
    can't say how long it gonna last but i wouldn't take chance. doesn't newegg have a return or replacement policy. if they do i would look into doing it asap
    ^ I recommend backing up anything crucial, can't take any chances.

10+ Year Old Account
    How long is a piece of string? Exactly... backup and get it replaced.

Interesting there was a report a while back of SMART data from millions of drives. Drives either fail at start up or they fail at end of life, most commonly. Since you bought yours used (which is a collossally bad idea), i can't say which end of the spectrum it is. But now you know. Buy new for hard ddisks. They have mechanical parts, they will eventually fail, it's guaranteed.

How long lol... I still have an old Quantum 6.5GB hdd I bought like 15 years ago. It has like 200MB bad sectors but still works in P166 server.

It's a backup git server storing source code.

It could self destruct before you read this reply, or it may last for 10 more years. I've had drives from the 90s with bad sectors that haven't gotten any worse and I've had drives that completely died mere hours after first showing signs of a problem. The point is that there really is no way to tell when it will completely die. The only thing you know for sure is there is a problem and that very greatly increases the odds that it will die sooner rather than later.

If you can return it you should do it now, the return window on hard drives is a lot shorter than it used to be and it's based on when the hard drive got a serial number at the factory, not when you bought it. I had a hard drive that went bad on me a couple years ago that I couldn't return because it only had a 1-year return window even though I had only had it for about 6 months and it had apparently been in the warehouse for nearly a year before I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by alzoron View Post
    It could self destruct before you read this reply, or it may last for 10 more years.
    Ironically, it did just that. Hard drive died minutes after I posted this thread. I sent the piece of shit back and got a new one from Best Buy. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Grab some blank dvds and start burning important stuff to them for now. Itll die fast. Dont take any chances.

---------- Post added 2012-01-10 at 06:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Holyshnikies View Post
    Grab some blank dvds and start burning important stuff to them for now. Itll die fast. Dont take any chances.
    That sucks man. Hope you didnt lose anything crucial. I would also grab an external hard drive too. Store all your photos, music, videos, documents on it.

The PC was fairly new so I had nothing worth anything on it aside from games (redownloading BF3 and WoW at 150kb/s is gonna be hell). Thanks again, guys. Not buying "recertified" from Newegg again.

Deleted
    It's an old faulty HDD. Recertified drives are actually faulty drives with a wiped SMART.