10+ Year Old Account

Was Diablo always planned for console?

I have been waiting for this game for 2 years and from my knowledge they have always had a 4 man game style unlike the 8 man in D2.

In my mind I think its because they were designing it for console compatibility in mind.

Was this for any other reason?

Quote Originally Posted by Grassfarmer View Post
    I have been waiting for this game for 2 years and from my knowledge they have always had a 4 man game style unlike the 8 man in D2.

In my mind I think its because they were designing it for console compatibility in mind.

No one (aside from someone inside Blizzard) could ever say yes for certain, but I think its a good guess. On the other hand, they hired their console team fairly recently, which suggest this is a PC first title, with ports to consoles scheduled after-the-fact.

That said, I'm worried that there will be concessions in the design to make it console friendly.

Console friendly isn't always the sign of a bad game -- DCUO has a fun combat system, and Skyrim is awesome -- but it does limit some options.

Would say not allways but after all the success of god of war has had lately its a good bet that at least after that they started planning it.. ofc as probert said.. nobody knows(those who do, are prohibited not to speak abt it xD)

Deleted
    Bashiok stated "they are exploring the posibility of a console version", but are developing it for the PC/Mac at the moment.

Game consoles are the retarded red headed step children of the gaming world. When you cater to them the overall quality of your product either diminishes or disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    Game consoles are the retarded red headed step children of the gaming world. When you cater to them the overall quality of your product either diminishes or disappears.
    I'm not sure I agree with the initial description, but I absolutely agree with the sentiment. I have yet to see a game done for both PC and console where they modified the PC game to be "equal" to the console game, where it didn't result in lower quality for the PC version (the latest example is Skyrim, whose interface is painfully limited.... thankfully, at least with Skyrim you can use mods to fix the problem.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grassfarmer View Post

How does going from 8 to 4 man partys relate to consoles in any way shape or form.

Yes. Blizzard has been hiring Playstation engineers for years now, with the specific goal of creating a console version of D3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    I think close-minded and antagonistic people might fit your descriptors a little better, but whatever floats your boat.

OT: I doubt it. From past interviews, it seems to a decidedly sidelined project that was a pretty spur of the moment idea based on how their combat and targeting was already turning into it. Try to ignore those blaming the evils of capitalism/Activision/greed/consoles.

Diablo seems like their only game that could be on consoles.

We all know console devs make more money with less work then most PC only devs (excluding WoW the cash cow)

They clearly hired that console team to finish Starcraft: Ghost.

Blizzard are comfortable with games on PC's.
    They were most likely seeing how the development went, and once it was sufficiently progressed they then decided that a console version might be viable without game-breaking sacrifices.
    You can't make that decision at the start really.