Deleted

gtx 580, worth it at this point?

Hey MMO-C, i'm building a new setup and I'm looking into one of those lovely high end cards. I was looking at gtx 570 but 580 seems to have the superior FPS in games like bf3, so I'm wondering if it's still worth to buy such a card, with the new generation(s) comming up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, wait a few weeks for the 7970 to show any bugs, and if it doesn't go for the 7970.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikzer View Post
    Hey MMO-C, i'm building a new setup and I'm looking into one of those lovely high end cards. I was looking at gtx 570 but 580 seems to have the superior FPS in games like bf3, so I'm wondering if it's still worth to buy such a card, with the new generation(s) comming up.
    If you have the money to spend and don't mind then sure! Should last you 2 years if next gen graphics are insanely realistic. Or like Fuzzykins said, tryout the 7970.
    Last edited by Nevintsha; 2012-01-10 at 09:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevintsha View Post
    If you have the money to spend and don't mind then sure! Should last you 2 years if next gen graphics are insanely realistic.
    I think you missed the point of his question...

Deleted
    Not sure if it's the momenterial launch price but there's a pretty nifty 180-200USD pricedifference between those cards (atleast here in Denmark) and from what I've seen, there's not a MAJOR difference yet(yes i know it's still beta drivers)

Not sure if it's the momenterial launch price but there's a pretty nifty 180-200USD pricedifference between those cards (atleast here in Denmark) and from what I've seen, there's not a MAJOR difference yet(yes i know it's still beta drivers)
    What they are the same prices on newegg for the 580 and the 7970. And the 7970 performs better. It will also get better within the next few months with new drivers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by counterhero View Post
    What they are the same prices on newegg for the 580 and the 7970. And the 7970 performs better. It will also get better within the next few months with new drivers.
    Unfortunately newegg doesn't ship to Europe, so as long as there's such a price difference, it's really makes me doubt :/

Unfortunately newegg doesn't ship to Europe, so as long as there's such a price difference, it's really makes me doubt :/
    well then. I would just wait 3-4 months. Intel is coming out with there new chipset.

Deleted
    *Update* Found a HD 7970 from Club 3d with the same price as a gtx 580 in Germany. does any one have experience with club 3d cards?

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi Nikzer, I've got nothing else to contribute that GTX 580 is a great, great card, it's worth the money.

However got something for you.
    http://www.pricerunner.dk/pl/37-2713...menlign-Priser

http://www.proshop.dk/Grafikkort/MSI...=pricerunnerdk
    Proshop.dk is one of the best danish online computer store, while being some of the cheapest, I've been buying lots of stuff and so has my parents (And it's all arrived within a week to Greenland)
    Parents: HP printer
    2x Ipad 2s
    HP scanner

Myself:
    Razer Blackwidow (Had to RMA it cause it was faulty, but that's due to Razer's cheap quality)
    2x custom fans for my GPU's
    2x laptop fans
    2x 8GB ram sticks
    Processor and motherboard

Alll of the products that was bought were in superior quality, I had no issues at all with any of them (Except the Blackwidow ofcourse, but you can't expect much from a cheap mechanical keyboard) and the packaging is very nice.
    Last edited by inux94; 2012-01-10 at 10:24 PM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    @inux94
    Thanks for the suggestions man, but the card you're reccomending cost around 500 - 1000(dkr) more, so I think i'll try my luck in Germany :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    You really need to try to get your hands on a 7970, even if it means saving up a little longer. It's entirely worth waiting an extra month for the most up to date technology. The card is already amazing, and it'll only get better with time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You really need to try to get your hands on a 7970, even if it means saving up a little longer. It's entirely worth waiting an extra month for the most up to date technology. The card is already amazing, and it'll only get better with time.
    I will most likely go for one? Do you have any suggestions regarding which model to pick? I'm considering the xfx baclk edition (not the 2x fan one)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait awhile for more non-reference cooler cards to come out. The stock cooler sucks. You should go for the XFX dual fan one if you plan to purchase before the new coolers come out. I know it's a little more expensive, but I promise, it's 100% worth it.

Deleted
    Wait awhile for more non-reference cooler cards to come out. The stock cooler sucks. You should go for the XFX dual fan one if you plan to purchase before the new coolers come out. I know it's a little more expensive, but I promise, it's 100% worth it.
    Alright will not that, ty

Deleted
    For the price point of a GTX 580, you are better off either waiting for the new nVidia GPUs or getting a Radeon 7970. It's literally around $80 for 70% more performance. My vote therefore goes towards; no, it isn't worth picking up at this point in time.

And as for the people saying that the GTX 580 is a price-worthy card: it isn't. It is a high end card and does offer a lot of performance for the money, but the price/performance ratio is terrible. That doesn't make it a bad GPU, but the fact that you pay $170 more for about 15% more performance compared to a GTX 570 and about $250 more for 30% more performance compared to a GTX 560 Ti doesn't make it a good value for money. Again: a very strong GPU but far from good value. This has always been the case with the high-end GPUs.

10+ Year Old Account
    @inux94
    Thanks for the suggestions man, but the card you're reccomending cost around 500 - 1000(dkr) more, so I think i'll try my luck in Germany :-)
    That's due to the country's import taxes, but I bet you will save some by going to Germany
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

7970 best if your mobo supports pci-e 3.0 , if not, I still would buy gtx 580, which is awesome card. I am running them in SLi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
    7970 best if your mobo supports pci-e 3.0 , if not, I still would buy gtx 580, which is awesome card. I am running them in SLi.
    I don't think a 7970 can saturate a PCI-E 3.0 lane... And it's backward compatible.