Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Aside from stealth and a high damage backstab that's where much of the similarity ends. Operative is more like a rogue as your big damage abilities are stealth openers and anything used shortly after. Assassin/Shadow is more like an Enh Shaman.
    I agree.

There's all these people who rolled assassin assuming it would be the assassin/rogue class of SWTOR. Unfortunately, they didn't do enough research and realized they were wrong (usually after power-leveling to 50, lol). They're now quite upset about it in the forums. If only they had known that it's the Scoundrel/Operative that is the assassin/rogue of SWTOR...

I found that the Assassin is much more like a feral druid than a rogue.

Really though, every class from almost all mmos will have a lot of similarities.

Guardian/? = Dunno, don't have one.
    Sentinel/? = Warrior.
    Sage/Sorc = Lock, Ele. Shaman, Disc Priest
    Shadow/Assassin = Enh. Shaman
    Gunslinger/Sniper = Rift's Marksman, or Pyro, or Saboteur. Can't call it a Hunter, as it's pet-less. Marks and Pyro had a 'stand in this to do more damage' ability, so it's why I went with those. But in 100% WoW-terms...other than using a gun, it's not very alike: Hunters don't use bombs, cover, or have aoe knock-backs. I'm trying to think what it'd be like, cause my 31 'Slinger never gave me a 'Hunter' feeling.
    Scoundrel/Operative = Closest is Rogue, though there's no combo points, and you're 50% ranged, though some abilities are a 'within 10 meters' ranged. It's prolly a mix of Rogue and Hunter. The healing is a Restoration Druid.
    Vanguard/? = Dunno, don't have one.
    Commando/? = Dunno, don't have one.
    Last edited by willowe; 2012-01-11 at 10:26 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jedi Knight is very close to Warrior.

Jedi Shadow, depending on spec feels like a DK or a Rogue.

Those are the only two I've played, but Jedi Knights almost certainly feel like a WoW Warrior. Not saying it's bad at all, but there are a lot of similarities. Jedi Shadow is the same, but I haven't leveled it far enough yet to say with 100% certainty.

Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior is by far the closest comaprison you can make to a WoW class, and it's pretty dang close. The rest are pretty different, Agent/Smuggler being the most.

Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior is by far the closest comaprison you can make to a WoW class, and it's pretty dang close. The rest are pretty different, Agent/Smuggler being the most.
    agent smuggler hell no, ill go with agent becaus eits what i play, but the medic tree is like playing a resto druid and concealment an assasination rogue

Deleted
    BH Merc is much more like a Hunter spec (MM, mostly), in which they use fillers then main nukes, than it is an Arcane Mage, imo.

That's where the similarities end, though.

You can't compare advanced classes in TOR to classes in WoW. You may try to compare specs. Like for example operative from OP. One tree is like resto druid, other like rogue, 3rd like mix of affi warlock with god knows what ... all packed in a genious energy mechanic.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Commando healer functions a lot like a resto shaman minus the chain heal (I guess kolto bomb could count?).

Commando DPS functions a lot like a mix of ele shaman and arcane mage due to the stack building + knockbacks.

Marauder = Fury Warrior
    Operative = Rogue/Resto Druid
    Mercenary = Arcane Mage/Resto Shaman
    Sith Assassin = Rogue/Some tank spec. :P

The classes I know at least.

Other than the stealth mechanic, what similarities do Assassins/Shadows have with WoW Rogues?

I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Other than the stealth mechanic, what similarities do Assassins/Shadows have with WoW Rogues?

I don't see it.
    Force Shroud -> Cloak of Shadows
    Spike -> Cheap Shot
    Force Cloak -> Vanish
    Maul -> Backstab
    Low Slash -> Kidney Shot

Hmm, I suppose so. I had two rogues in WoW and I felt I had much more control over a fight than I ever have with my Assassin in Swtor. I just don't get that roguish feel to it.

I've only leveled a Jedi Guardian almost to Cap, but they feel like a warrior but with some new stuff you wish you had in WoW. Things like Force push, the saber throws, stasis/choke, permanent AOE slow, etc.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Hmm, I suppose so. I had two rogues in WoW and I felt I had much more control over a fight than I ever have with my Assassin in Swtor. I just don't get that roguish feel to it.
    Well since they can also be tanks I think it'd be understandable that you would feel like you have more control. Since tanking is basically all about control.

Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    Well since they can also be tanks I think it'd be understandable that you would feel like you have more control. Since tanking is basically all about control.
    I think I confused you with my statement. I'm saying that in WoW I had a tremendous amount of control in just about any fight I could encounter. That is not nearly the case in TOR.

Perhaps they are comparable to a combat rogue?

nevermind, too late.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-01-12 at 09:39 AM. Reason: beat to it.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Ah, my bad. It's late here. :P

Yeah, I can see them being comparable to a combat rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Aside from stealth and a high damage backstab that's where much of the similarity ends. Operative is more like a rogue as your big damage abilities are stealth openers and anything used shortly after. Assassin/Shadow is more like an Enh Shaman.
    Yeah cause backstab, gouge, stealth, kick, vanish, sprint, sap and enhancing their weapon with unique traits is nothing like a Rogue.

Personally I never got the rogueish feel from SI Assassin, I always thought of it more as an enhance shammy that traded totems and mana for an energy bar.

More oddly, while I never played Warrior on WoW, I thought SW was a lot more like rogues from CP, except rogues learned to be cool by finally ditching their limiter (energy) so they can just generate CP to use attacks with.