Desktop equivalent?

Hey

I've been recently looking at this laptop to buy

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230099

Could anyone tell me how much would a desktop with a similar configuration/performance cost?

If you could help me and give specific parts from that website or canadacomputers.com, I'd really appreciate it

Deleted
    Well, the Intel Core i7-2630QM is a quad core with HT running 4 physical cores with a total of 8 threads. It's still a low power CPU only pushing 2.9GHz at best (max TDP listed is 45W) so it isn't exactly as powerful as the desktop "equivalent", the i7 2600. In terms of gaming performance, I'd say it performs somewhere between an i3 2100 and an i5 2310 (depending entirely of how well the game can utilize 4 cores) - but I can't find any benchmarks to back this up.

The GTX 560M isn't exactly a very powerful GPU and equals afaik a GTS 450 at best.

Something alongside the below build would offer far better/greater performance in games, WoW included:
    Budget Gaming 700
    MoBo: MSI P67S-C43$99.99
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x2GB$29.99
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6870$164.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB$99.99
    PSU: XFX ProSeries 450W$58.99 Review
    Case: Xigmatek Asgard II$39.99 Review
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $714

Recommended for:
    Strong budget gaming build that can tackle
    most newer games. Has a fairly nice upgrade
    path as well.
    Note that both the GPU and CPU are far superior to that laptop in terms of raw performance. What this lacks is the 8GB RAM and the bigger HDD, and of course Windows, a screen, keyboard and mouse, etc. to make a complete PC.

Deleted
    Hmm, they were very specific with what you get with the computer, how nice! Ive never seen that in Sweden.

ONT: What games are you going to play on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Well, the Intel Core i7-2630QM is a quad core with HT running 4 physical cores with a total of 8 threads. It's still a low power CPU only pushing 2.9GHz at best (max TDP listed is 45W) so it isn't exactly as powerful as the desktop "equivalent", the i7 2600. In terms of gaming performance, I'd say it performs somewhere between an i3 2100 and an i5 2310 (depending entirely of how well the game can utilize 4 cores) - but I can't find any benchmarks to back this up.

The GTX 560M isn't exactly a very powerful GPU and equals afaik a GTS 450 at best.

Something alongside the below build would offer far better/greater performance in games, WoW included:

Note that both the GPU and CPU are far superior to that laptop in terms of raw performance. What this lacks is the 8GB RAM and the bigger HDD, and of course Windows, a screen, keyboard and mouse, etc. to make a complete PC.
    Thanks for reply

KK, was not aware that desktop i3-i5 >= laptop i7, also afaik GTX 560M is one of the newest high-end graphics cards according to notebookcheck.net

So if you add screen/windows to the total cost, it could be around $900us then it looks like the difference between laptop/desktop would be around $150-200 in this case?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kooz View Post
    Thanks for reply

KK, was not aware that desktop i3-i5 >= laptop i7, also afaik GTX 560M is one of the newest high-end graphics cards according to notebookcheck.net

So if you add screen/windows to the total cost, it could be around $900us then it looks like the difference between laptop/desktop would be around $150-200 in this case?
    Well, mobile CPUs and GPUs can't utilize the same amount of wattage and cooling space as a desktop can. Sure, the 560M is a fairly new and powerful laptop GPU, but it's still a laptop GPU which means it is very limited (size and power).

The following is a picture of a GTX 560M: http://www.sfvogt.de/CLEVO_D900F/560M_f_dia.jpg
    And this is a picture of a GTX 560 Ti: http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/...ics-Card-2.jpg

Both displayed without their cooling solutions.

And no, the difference is greater. As I said, the build I linked is far superior to that laptop in terms of gaming performance, even with only 4GB RAM.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-11 at 03:34 PM.