Thread: Communion

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Communion

Quick question - is the replenishment and/or damage buff from Communion lost if another buff overwrite's the Aura?
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoddie View Post
    Quick question - is the replenishment and/or damage buff from Communion lost if another buff overwrite's the Aura?
    Not sure I'm understanding 100%, but, if your question is is the 2% self damage increase lost if there is an arcane mage / bm hunter providing the buff, no, not as long as you have an aura active (and you obviously get the 3% damage buff from their aura as well).

Regarding replenishment, it's not "lost" if another class is bringing it, but it doesn't stack, the duration is just refresh by any of the mechanics that do so.

Deleted
    What he means is, let's say you are running res aura, with that you also bing the 3%damage buff whoe er has your aura..but, let's say a shaman drops res totem.This will overwrite the aura buff on people.

*sigh at this forum on my iphone..*
    Last edited by mmoc7429eb4fcc; 2012-01-12 at 05:36 AM.

Nothing overwrites Communion because it's a passive aura that you don't see. Also replenishment is a buff that happens ever time you judge or whatever so it won't get overwrote.

This is why I'm confused - Communion is a passive aura but it applies only when you're affected by the Aura of a paladin who has the Communion talent. Which, taking kath01's example, if a shammy drops a totem and that pally Aura is 'pushed off' by the newer buff, surely the damage buff part of Communion is 'pushed off' also.

Based on what spookyz says, I can assume that even if a pally Aura isn't displayed because an Arcane Mage's buff is displayed, the Aura isn't actually 'lost', it's just not displayed. Is this right?

Deleted
    a shammy totem will never remove a paladin's resistance aura,

they do different ones

shadow fire frost -> pally

fire frost nature -> shammy

therefore you Never have res aura replaced except by a different pally and then it takes the one that is the "most powerfull" and your 3% passive makes yours the most powerful.

replenishmen is as stated above however remember than replenishment only effects 10 people per application so a single source of it will need to be re-applying it once every 7.5 seconds to have 100% uptime on 20 people who are eligable for replenishment.
    Last edited by mmoc1ace84aa42; 2012-01-12 at 02:47 PM.

Is the same true for Kings and MOTW?

Thanks for the replies so far

Deleted
    Is the same true for Kings and MOTW?

Thanks for the replies so far
    sadly no those 2 provide exactally the same benefit and one will overwrite the other.

So in which case the damage % increase would be lost? But not the Replenishment? So basically we need to ensure that the Ret Pally gives any Aura except Kings and we'll be fine?

Kings and MOTW are actively applied buffs, nothing to do with auras at all.

Doh! Yes of course. Nothing to see here...

Deleted
    So in which case the damage % increase would be lost?
    When they outrange your aura, only way to lose it :P

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 05:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    a shammy totem will never remove a paladin's resistance aura,

they do different ones

shadow fire frost -> pally

fire frost nature -> shammy

therefore you Never have res aura replaced except by a different pally and then it takes the one that is the "most powerfull" and your 3% passive makes yours the most powerful.

replenishmen is as stated above however remember than replenishment only effects 10 people per application so a single source of it will need to be re-applying it once every 7.5 seconds to have 100% uptime on 20 people who are eligable for replenishment.
    New one for you then, what happens if a ret and holy both run resistance aura, and the Holy uses Aura Mastery.Temporary lose the 3% buff casue the Ret has the "Weaker" aura?

I'm pretty sure the 3% is never overwritten even if someone else uses an aura that overwrites the pallys aura. You can check to see if it disappears by going into your character sheet and mousing over Melee Damage and it should say +103% next to it in the tip window.

The only thing that can push your aura off is if another paladin has the same aura as you, yours will not affect them. So say you and the tank both use Devotion Aura, the tank will not get 3% from your communion because his aura overrides yours since they do the same thing.

Another case is if you and a Holy Paladin are using the same aura and they use Aura Mastery, everyone will lose your aura, everyone will lose the 3%. In this case, you lose your 5% increased damage, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    The only thing that can push your aura off is if another paladin has the same aura as you, yours will not affect them. So say you and the tank both use Devotion Aura, the tank will not get 3% from your communion because his aura overrides yours since they do the same thing.

Another case is if you and a Holy Paladin are using the same aura and they use Aura Mastery, everyone will lose your aura, everyone will lose the 3%. In this case, you lose your 5% increased damage, also.
    This is 100% false. First the 2% extra damage we personally gain from speccing communion is hard coded in as soon as you spec it. It doesn't go away regardless of an active aura or not. The 3% can be considered an extra "hidden" aura if you will whenever you have an aura active. So whether or not someone runs the same aura as you, or overrides it with a better aura via aura mastery has no effect on the 3% damage boost portion. If you have doubts about this it is easily tested as the percentage is given in the character paperdoll.

Quote Originally Posted by pbad View Post
    This is 100% false. First the 2% extra damage we personally gain from speccing communion is hard coded in as soon as you spec it. It doesn't go away regardless of an active aura or not. The 3% can be considered an extra "hidden" aura if you will whenever you have an aura active. So whether or not someone runs the same aura as you, or overrides it with a better aura via aura mastery has no effect on the 3% damage boost portion. If you have doubts about this it is easily tested as the percentage is given in the character paperdoll.
    You were right on the 2%. Whether I have an aura up doesn't matter at all. However, I did lose the 3% whenever someone else overrode my aura using Aura Mastery + same aura.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    And here I stumbeld across this article to read about grown men kneeling down in front a priest and sticking their tongues out. Man, was I wrong.
    My blog & rants: www.wocky.me

Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    sadly no those 2 provide exactally the same benefit and one will overwrite the other.
    MotW gives nature resistance so it overwrites BoK.

Still not buying it, I tested it with another pally and AM before I made the post just to verify. Neither myself nor the holy paladin I was testing with lost the 3%. Just because I felt like I might be crazy I went back, with another holy pally, and repeated with various other auras (devo/resist/crusade) neither of us lost 103% at any time. Well I never lost 105%, he never lost 103%.
    Last edited by pbad; 2012-01-14 at 08:14 AM.

I just logged a couple of fights in Karazhan. Neither me or the other Paladin (Holy though) used any auras and we still got Communion.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hhzl2vkgm4u6wlor/