Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gamon500 View Post
    When that happened to our puppy, it turned out she had stepped on a bee and had the stinger stuck in one of her toes. There was no swelling, just whining and limping, and it took a really close examination to find it. Just a possibility... good luck, puppy!
    Thanks but I think it's too cold for bees. I'm hoping it's just growing pains!

Keep in mind it could be a cruciate ligament injury that can happen if she lands on her leg awkwardly, it's a very common knee injury for dogs. There wont be any visible signs you can check for, so you'll need a vet to check the movement of the knee joint to see if there's any damage there, especially if things don't get better after a day or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just fed her dinner and took her outside, it seems the limping is getting worse. She is putting barely any weight on her leg now. I can't get her to the vet until Friday, all I can do is pet her and cry. :'(

I think its better to go to a vet instead of calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Because dogs have common sense, and as such are able to know it's not serious?
    I'm pretty sure the point was that if the dog was in such pain/discomfort it wouldn't want to be bothered, or move, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteWolf View Post
    I called the vets office and the technician told me to discourage her from walking around and playing. She wont stop trying to play even though she's limping!
    i love the spirit dogs have.

i would just hold off till the vet appointment. i wouldnt try any sort of pain relief drug without approval from the vet either. hope your pup feels better
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

She should of been taken to the vet straight away. If you couldn't take her yourself, you should organise someone to take her for you. Problems like these can often be nothing major, but if left "to cure itself" may just make it worse, especially in young large breed dogs. Also if she is from a registered breeder I would contact the breeder and let them know. They may be able to offer assistance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesty View Post
    She should of been taken to the vet straight away. If you couldn't take her yourself, you should organise someone to take her for you. Problems like these can often be nothing major, but if left "to cure itself" may just make it worse, especially in young large breed dogs. Also if she is from a registered breeder I would contact the breeder and let them know. They may be able to offer assistance.
    At the same time, with an appointment only a day or two away, if there are no signs of injury (swelling, pain, etc) and the pup seems to be fine aside from the limp, there's no reason to go to that kind of trouble... or possible expense.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

A day or two can be all it takes for it to go down hill and fast. Limping and whinning are not something to be taken lightly with any dog especially pups.

or possible expense.
    That's the life of pet ownership. Unexpected expenses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could have stepped on a bee or wasp, just keep an eye on her. I actually saw my ex's chiuahuah step on a wasp, it was pretty awful and she acted like it was a mortal injury for a week lol.

I called the vets office and the technician told me to discourage her from walking around and playing. She wont stop trying to play even though she's limping!
    It's gonna be hard but try to avoid excessive running, and avoid slippery floors. If your floor is slippery maybe for now cover your floor with anything to prevent her slipping. Do not let her walk stairs. In fact, never let pups walk stairs, especially not the bigger breeds such as german shepherds. You said she's purebred, but does she have a pedigree and were her parents tested for hip dysplasia? Anyway, all you can do is wait Friday. Try keeping her mind occupied by playing with her on the spot. There's chew toys that, when chewed on, drops food. Maybe this can keep her occupied?

You're never gonna prevent her from moving or running. She is a pup after all, but do what you can to limit it! Good luck!

I have a 5 month old purebred German Shepherd Dog named Sura, and She just started limping and whining out of the blue this morning. I checked her paw and leg for any swelling or injuries and found nothing, but I'm no doctor. What could be wrong? :'(

She has a vet appointment for Friday but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for her right now.

*Limping came first, and whining a bit later on.
    The best thing that you could do is take her in asap, do not wait until Friday. German Shepherds are truly amazing animals, if the tables were turned she would do the same for you.

I've been in the same situation with one of my two German Shepherds. My younger one is about a year old, and extremely active. And I mean... if he can get into it, he's in it. He's also a little thief (he likes to steal socks, and our slippers.) But a few months ago, I noticed he was limping, not badly. But he had no swelling, or anything for that matter. My older one had gotten stung a few months prior to that, and his entire paw was swollen. Took him to the vet, and he was fine a few days later.

I had decided to take my younger one to the vet as well (yay for AKC insurance!) He had a check up anyway. The vet couldn't find anything wrong with his forepaw, or anything in the vicinity, and chucked it all up to him playing a bit to rough with his older brother. He's a klutz, anyway. He probably tripped.

Knowing my shepherds, I have an idea that's probably what's wrong with yours as well. I would still take her to the vet to be sure. They're REALLY active in the middle stages of puppy hood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you checked the pads of the feet even between the paws, i got 2 bull mastiffs one had an issue mainly my old girl i noticed her favoring her leg and licking her paw, i checked the pad of her foot saw nothing out of the ordinary so i rubbed between her toes and got a nasty whelp, found a tiny piece of rose bush thorn stuck in between her paws i manged to get it out with tweezers and she was right as rain, but if your concerned just take the dog in, piece of mind.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesty View Post
    A day or two can be all it takes for it to go down hill and fast. Limping and whinning are not something to be taken lightly with any dog especially pups.

That's the life of pet ownership. Unexpected expenses.
    Yeah, but paying $450 to have the vet at the pet clinic tell you the pup pulled its muscle because it's an uncoordinated poop machine whose paws are currently like five sizes too big for its cochlea?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Took her out for a pee this morning and the limping seems the same. I thoroughly inspected her paw for any thorns or signs of injury and again found nothing.

*sigh*

If you're in a 2-story house, keep it on one floor if you can. animals are dumb.. they will still run up and down stairs, which will make it worse. if you can't block off the stairs, keep it in a room until it can be checked out

Yeah, but paying $450 to have the vet at the pet clinic tell you the pup pulled its muscle because it's an uncoordinated poop machine whose paws are currently like five sizes too big for its cochlea?
    $450, I don't know what kind of vet your seeing but if your paying that much for just a check up, your being ripped off. I've only had to pay like $65 for an after hours check up for my dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys! Her leg is a bit better now, but she's still limping. We're still taking her to the vet tomorrow just to make sure.

Took her out for a pee this morning and the limping seems the same. I thoroughly inspected her paw for any thorns or signs of injury and again found nothing.

*sigh*
    Limping can be caused by more then something in her paw.