Want to upgrade ram on a pre-built

I have an Alienware Aurora R3 I got a couple of months ago and I was wondering if it would have any problems with upgrading ram and if anything would be locked in the bios such as speed/latency.

I want to buy two sets of this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233144

Do you guys know of any problems that could occur on my crappy, overpriced pre-built?

The MOBO has 4 slots for ram.

Yes I'm using win 64.

Also, could this void my warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Gindry View Post
    I have an Alienware Aurora R3 I got a couple of months ago and I was wondering if it would have any problems with upgrading ram and if anything would be locked in the bios such as speed/latency.

I want to buy two sets of this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233144

Do you guys know of any problems that could occur on my crappy, overpriced pre-built?

The MOBO has 4 slots for ram.

Yes I'm using win 64.

Also, could this void my warranty?
    As to the warranty .. yes opening the case and modifying the system would void the warranty.
    Last edited by Shakari; 2012-01-11 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Typo!
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    As to the warranty .. yes opening the case and modifying the system would void the warranty.
    ehh, i don't think ill worry about that. I could always just put the old ram in as if nothing ever was modified.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think they would have some way(usually a sticker) to tell if you opened the case. Just know if you open the case at all, you will be voiding the warranty then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekk View Post
    I would think they would have some way(usually a sticker) to tell if you opened the case. Just know if you open the case at all, you will be voiding the warranty then.
    well, it's an alienware.. which has its own nifty ways of opening the case. So, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to tell. (They kinda encourage it)

The BIOS will have settings for changing the latency of the RAM if you put in new RAM with different timings.

I don't forsee an issue with 16GB of RAM, most modern motherboards can handle twice that at least. I'd try to find out from Dell first, though.

You *will* void the warranty for opening the case automatically. Weather this proves to bite you in the ass is a case-by-case basis. I've seen factory built computers with "WILL VOID WARRANTY" stickers on the outside that require breaking to open the case, or a sticker over a screw hole that requires breaking to remove the screw.

I even had an old Dell that had a lockable case, with one of those little plastic/metal locks like the phone company puts on your phone tap outside the house that warned of voiding the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gindry View Post
    well, it's an alienware.. which has its own nifty ways of opening the case. So, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to tell. (They kinda encourage it)
    No company on the scale of Dell encourages you to open your case and fiddle around. The stick is likely in a very akward position, short of a heatgun(which is not fool proof anymore they change colors on some items) your voiding the warranty 100% if you open that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirgon View Post
    The BIOS will have settings for changing the latency of the RAM if you put in new RAM with different timings.

I don't forsee an issue with 16GB of RAM, most modern motherboards can handle twice that at least. I'd try to find out from Dell first, though.

You *will* void the warranty for opening the case automatically. Weather this proves to bite you in the ass is a case-by-case basis. I've seen factory built computers with "WILL VOID WARRANTY" stickers on the outside that require breaking to open the case, or a sticker over a screw hole that requires breaking to remove the screw.

I even had an old Dell that had a lockable case, with one of those little plastic/metal locks like the phone company puts on your phone tap outside the house that warned of voiding the warranty.
    well, like i said, it's an alienware aurora. It doesn't have any stickers and it's designed to be easily opened if you will. They also advertise the ease of upgrading it, but i assume that's out of warranty. Anyways, i'm pretty sure this type of ram will work on my system after looking at crucial's scanner on their website.

I'm kinda a noob when it comes to ram types (hence the pre-built) so i could be totally wrong.

---------- Post added 2012-01-12 at 01:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    No company on the scale of Dell encourages you to open your case and fiddle around. The stick is likely in a very akward position, short of a heatgun(which is not fool proof anymore they change colors on some items) your voiding the warranty 100% if you open that case.
    Idk man, you'd think they would have a sticker/warning label on the case somewhere. I see no sign of it. How would they tell anyway without a sticker is what I'm getting at.

As seen in this video, it's a complete walkthrough on opening the case and he even talks about upgrading. (this is their official channel) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5pDGHVHPCM
    Last edited by Gindry; 2012-01-12 at 02:00 AM.