Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    Scumbag wow hater:
    "NEW MMO?!?!? IT WILL KILL WOW!"
    3 Months later the MMO fails.
    6 Months later new MMO announced
    "NEW MMO?!?!? IT WILL KILL WOW!"
    A vicious repeating cycle.
    Seriously lol this isn't Highlander

It doesn't matter how much you do to defend GW2, B2P and F2P for MMO's mean practically the same thing, and you get what I mean by that. The game is so different from WoW that both can co-exist and they dont 'steal' each others playerbase because they appeal to different types of people and gamestyles.

Thinking GW2 is going to make all of WoW's playerbase unsubscribe, and go play it for the rest of their lives is something that won't happen, and yet every single time a new 'ground breaking' mmo comes out people say the same thing, 'oh this one th REAL WoW killer'. That's wrong, a lot of peopel can take time for both MMOs because there is no raiding in GW2 so PvE is a lot more trivial for it, im not saying there is no PvE I am saying PvP from everything I have seen seems to be the primary focus with a good bit of PvE to the side, where in WoW PvE is the primary focus with a good bit of PvP to the side.

GW2 doesn't even have the trinity system, which will appeal to some and not to others, it won't kill WoW, it won't de-throne WoW just like Aion didnt, and Rift didnt, and DCUO didnt, and Swtor wont, and AoC didnt, and every other MMO you could possibly think of that came out after WoW. It is compltely possibly for the two games to co-exist together and both be games people play, but don't think there will only ever been one dominant MMO, especially when these two MMOs are COMPLETELY different.

I honestly could play WoW and some GW2 to the side when im waiting for a new patch or when i dont feel like playing WoW, or it could be the exact opposite. As mainly a PvE player, GW2's pve does not appeal to me, the game looks interesting though, but that's all im giving it. I won't be quitting WoW for GW2, there is no point I can buy GW2 like I would buy a console game and keep paying for WoW like I normally would.

GW2 and WoW are in two seperate markets, they aren't competing, or at least not majorly.

Plus nobody knows how good GW2 is, they promise a lot sure, will they deliver, or will they deliver to the point you are expecting, they may give what they told but not to the quality you are expecting, or they may deliver. You won't know until you play it, which i am betting, none of you have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Because you can get tacos and pizza! Why not both?
    Because i don't have enough time to eat both, and the money i'm saving eating my free tacos i can use to buy other things!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    the money i'm saving eating my free tacos i can use to buy other things!
    like a pizza?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Man 1 sells pizzas for 10.95
    Man 2 gives away pizzas for free

You think man 2 can't run man 1 out of business?
    Man 1 charges you every block he drives, and a delivery service monthly.

Man 2 charges you what you paid for.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 05:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    It's still gonna be competing for my time though.
    You do your raids on wow or swtor w/e paid game your playing, then during the low pop times of week play guildwars2.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 05:39 AM ----------

Guild wars2 Rift Aion and Swtor indirectly kill wow subs.
    They offer a newer looking alternative and majority of gamers only care about graphics at first, and stay or quit over gameplay later.

With more options then stars in the sky i find it hard to believe new ppl to mmos start with wow anymore.

While I for the most part agree with the sentiment—those who herald WoW's demise are kidding themselves—the post itself pretty much sounds like a WoW fan trying to convince himself of WoW's longevity. With the assault of competitors (direct, indirect, whatever) coming this year, there is no doubt WoW will lose subscriptions, but the bleed will not be as significant as some would like to think.

Either way, Guild Wars 2 will thrive so long as people are interested enough in it that they pick up a copy to play alongside WoW, SW:TOR, etc., and that is the beauty of all of this. We needn't worry over competing; what we've come to know as the traditional MMO is plagued by "farm content" and/or significant downtime between patches. If the game is held to the current quality we've seen, there will be an endless supply of bored customers that come to our game just to try it out while they are bored. I played enough World of Warcraft before I quit to know that you find yourself sitting mindlessly in a city far more often than you'd expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Because LoL is VERY different from WoW, it's not even an MMO. Guild Wars 2 is FAR more comparable to WoW than LoL.
    GW1 didn't hurt p2p mmo's at all. what makes you think gw2 will be any different? as with gw1 there will be a small devoted core of players that play nothing but gw2, but most everyone else will only play gw2 when there is nothing else to do. it is filler for the average MMO gamer at best. that's not saying it won't be a great game. it just won't be the second coming of Jesus like some guild war's fan's make it out to be.

Deleted
    Bleh, I've read through this cesspool of a topic and I can't believe people are that silly :/.

I don't think GW2 will dethrone WoW immediately, mostly because most of the players have no idea what is GW2 - of course they know this game is another MMO, but have zero information how different it is from WoW and GW1.

So while first sales may be impressive, it will take time to really make a dent in WoW's player base. I think the real blow to WoW will be the first expansion of GW2, I predict that MoP will not be a success, this coupled with good commercial campaign of GW2 expac will mark the point where the steady WoW subs drop will start. I still think WoW will have quite big (1-2mln) playerbase even in next 5years, it's just a good game overall and just like Diablo 2, it will live for quite a long time.

I also agree that WoW and GW2 will compete not only for player's money, but for more viable resource: TIME. Please note, statistics clearly show that every year average age of MMO player goes UP. And so:
    2009 - 27 years old
    2010 - 30 years old
    2011 - 32 years old
    (source? google it :P)

Older, almost always means less time for playing - family, job etc. So it is safe to say, less and less people will play two MMOs, that's why GW2 can easily win this "race".

I would like to make another "observation", GW2 will never reach as high active players number as WoW did. I think (feel, that's just my prediction) around 6 to 8 mln is a max. Why? It's not as dead easy as WoW is. Blizz noticed something very important: easier the game = more potential players. While GW2 also has a place for those who are less blessed in "mouse and keyboard" operation, it's not as forgiving as WoW. There is a video of a guy who defeated whole DW raid (LFR) using only his.. penis (it's actually as much disturbing as it sounds, although I do give him props for keeping it hard for that long ;s). Taking how GW2 has dynamic combat it's safe to say that this "feat" will not be possible even in story mode dungeon or even a DE...

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    It doesn't matter how much you do to defend GW2, B2P and F2P for MMO's mean practically the same thing, and you get what I mean by that. The game is so different from WoW that both can co-exist and they dont 'steal' each others playerbase because they appeal to different types of people and gamestyles.

Thinking GW2 is going to make all of WoW's playerbase unsubscribe, and go play it for the rest of their lives is something that won't happen, and yet every single time a new 'ground breaking' mmo comes out people say the same thing, 'oh this one th REAL WoW killer'. That's wrong, a lot of peopel can take time for both MMOs because there is no raiding in GW2 so PvE is a lot more trivial for it, im not saying there is no PvE I am saying PvP from everything I have seen seems to be the primary focus with a good bit of PvE to the side, where in WoW PvE is the primary focus with a good bit of PvP to the side.

GW2 doesn't even have the trinity system, which will appeal to some and not to others, it won't kill WoW, it won't de-throne WoW just like Aion didnt, and Rift didnt, and DCUO didnt, and Swtor wont, and AoC didnt, and every other MMO you could possibly think of that came out after WoW. It is compltely possibly for the two games to co-exist together and both be games people play, but don't think there will only ever been one dominant MMO, especially when these two MMOs are COMPLETELY different.

I honestly could play WoW and some GW2 to the side when im waiting for a new patch or when i dont feel like playing WoW, or it could be the exact opposite. As mainly a PvE player, GW2's pve does not appeal to me, the game looks interesting though, but that's all im giving it. I won't be quitting WoW for GW2, there is no point I can buy GW2 like I would buy a console game and keep paying for WoW like I normally would.

GW2 and WoW are in two seperate markets, they aren't competing, or at least not majorly.

Plus nobody knows how good GW2 is, they promise a lot sure, will they deliver, or will they deliver to the point you are expecting, they may give what they told but not to the quality you are expecting, or they may deliver. You won't know until you play it, which i am betting, none of you have.
    well, swtor,aion,aoc, and rift dident offer anything different or new for the mmo as a genera (aside from rifts which were a gimmick and better story elements). you cant say they are are trying to appeal to different markets, they are both mmos that are fantasy based that use key-bindings gw2 IS competing for wows player base just like any other mmo on the market, they all want a slice of the cake wow used to have. i think a non trinity system will appeal to more people then it repulses due to the fact no one likes getting a group of 3 dps for a dungeon instantly and then having to wait 40m-1h spamming in trade and general chat for a tank and healer just to play the game, not to mention healer and tank players generally dictate how group play functions......oh you disagree with the tank> (you have been removed from teh group) oh you your arguing with the healer? (you have been removed from the group) you dont like how the guild healers and tanks treat the other raid members as replaceable tools and you want the gm to do something about it?(you have been kicked from the guild) yeah im sorry i cant see a game that doesn't have some design flaws not becoming more popular instantly

Quote Originally Posted by slimj091 View Post
    but most everyone else will only play gw2 when there is nothing else to do.
    GW2 rivals any new upcoming platform in terms of quality and quantity—more often than not it exceeds its rivals. I realize it's easy to label free to play MMOs as "games on the side", but just because GW2 only requires an upfront purchase does not mean it will exist primarily as a game for "average MMO gamers" to play when they're bored. There will be many players that play it alongside their subscription MMO, no doubt, but GW2 has proven to be far more attractive to subscription gamers that anyone ever really expected it to be. People only have so much time, and GW2 has been shown to have quite a lot of content. It's very easy to assume that everyone is in high school and can play two games simultaneously without cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Man 1 sells pizzas for 10.95
    Man 2 gives away pizzas for free

You think man 2 can't run man 1 out of business?
    No, actually? How is man 2 maintaining a quality product with no income? It's fine and dandy that the game dosen't require an upkeep beyond the box price, but a game without constant content updates and maintenance isn't -more- appealing. I look at it like something between skyrim and diablo 3. It's going to be a more indepth small party experience, in an expansive world. I can get behind it. I'll still be paying for wow, however.

well, swtor,aion,aoc, and rift dident offer anything different or new for the mmo as a genera (aside from rifts which were a gimmick and better story elements). you cant say they are are trying to appeal to different markets, they are both mmos that are fantasy based that use key-bindings gw2 IS competing for wows player base just like any other mmo on the market, they all want a slice of the cake wow used to have. i think a non trinity system will appeal to more people then it repulses due to the fact no one likes getting a group of 3 dps for a dungeon instantly and then having to wait 40m-1h spamming in trade and general chat for a tank and healer just to play the game, not to mention healer and tank players generally dictate how group play functions......oh you disagree with the tank> (you have been removed from teh group) oh you your arguing with the healer? (you have been removed from the group) you dont like how the guild healers and tanks treat the other raid members as replaceable tools and you want the gm to do something about it?(you have been kicked from the guild) yeah im sorry i cant see a game that doesn't have some design flaws not becoming more popular instantly. oh and for the record i have played GW2

time is where all games have to compete. especially an MMO. due to the level of commitment required by MMO's for most end game guilds they wont have time to put in the same level of effort in both end games unless their is little to no content.

ALL MMO's compete with each other for the paid subscriptions of its subscribers as long as we have to pay for it.. this will remain true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idiots43 View Post
    No, actually? How is man 2 maintaining a quality product with no income? It's fine and dandy that the game dosen't require an upkeep beyond the box price, but a game without constant content updates and maintenance isn't -more- appealing. I look at it like something between skyrim and diablo 3. It's going to be a more indepth small party experience, in an expansive world. I can get behind it. I'll still be paying for wow, however.
    It's going to have constant updates. With regular patching and maintenance and expansions. WoW gets well over a hundred million dollars a month and one of the biggest complaints I have seen about Cata is reused content and lack of updates and enough things to do. They have already said it doesn't take a lot of money to keep servers running and they intend to get extra revenue past the retail price with store purchases. So it will also have an income as well.

odd its taking time for my reply to get posted, says it needs to be approved by a mod, what is this bs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idiots43 View Post
    No, actually? How is man 2 maintaining a quality product with no income?
    He sells cans of Coke for a dollar, just like man 1.

well, swtor,aion,aoc, and rift dident offer anything different or new for the mmo as a genera (aside from rifts which were a gimmick and better story elements). you cant say they are are trying to appeal to different markets, they are both mmos that are fantasy based that use key-bindings gw2 IS competing for wows player base just like any other mmo on the market, they all want a slice of the cake wow used to have. i think a non trinity system will appeal to more people then it repulses due to the fact no one likes getting a group of 3 dps for a dungeon instantly and then having to wait 40m-1h spamming in trade and general chat for a tank and healer just to play the game, not to mention healer and tank players generally dictate how group play functions......oh you disagree with the tank> (you have been removed from teh group) oh you your arguing with the healer? (you have been removed from the group) you dont like how the guild healers and tanks treat the other raid members as replaceable tools and you want the gm to do something about it?(you have been kicked from the guild) yeah im sorry i cant see a game that doesn't have some design flaws not becoming more popular instantly. oh and for the record i have played GW2

<snip>...
    so if GW2 has more and better PVE than WoW, THEN it might dethrone it?