Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Man 1 sells pizzas for 10.95
    Man 2 gives away pizzas for free

You think man 2 can't run man 1 out of business?
    In America, we will eat both pizzas at the same time, and throw away what we can't finish.

The way I see it is REALLY simple.
    These games will NOT coincide IF:

- The first month of Guildwars 2 will BLOW minds and what not. So they don't see a reason to pay for a WoW subscription if they are putting 40 hours a week in GW2.
    - MoP will be shit as it currently is predicted.

To be fairly honest I think Guildwars 2 WILL de-throne WoW even if only because it's pay once, play for free.
    That mixed together with amazing state of the art gameplay and mechanics, you have one hell of a mixture for a ton of succes.

The thing is that WoW is ALREADY losing subs because of the crappy changes this expansion and alot of people dislike MoP. I for one actually think it might just be a really fun expansion. Will I play it? Really depends on Guildwars 2 it's succes.

Right now my main game is WoW. I have a SW:TOR account, RIFT account, Aion account and a ton of single player games still needing to be finished.
    I still play WoW for at least 80% of the time that I game. Why? Because the other games don't bring to the table what WoW does. I like raiding and I like how there is always something to do. I recently bought or re-subbed to other games and play them about... well maybe 2-3 hours a week? Because they simply don't make it as attractive.

Guildwars will be a new MMO release and just as TOR had, it will see a huge number of players on the first month. 3 things I think GW2 has the advantage in is that it's fantasy based, free to play and refreshing. TOR has already stabilized it's community and more and more people flock back to WoW while TOR only gains little from now onwards. Guildwars will be free to play so basically that says enough on it's own. Add renewing gameplay and a fantasy genre (everyone knows sci-fi attracts ALOT less people) and you see alot of people switch over.

WoW will keep losing subs. It's glory days are over and it will slowly but surely bleed out. REAL slow is my guess. Guildwars will get a massive community from the start AND slowly grow. In the end I see GW2 being number one. At least untill project Titan.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    It's still gonna be competing for my time though.
    To me, this is really the biggest factor for any adult. If you want to have fun in a game you have to spend time in it. Splitting your time isn't quite as enjoyable. If one experience is sufficiently better than another, why split your time? I quit WoW about 2 months ago and have no plans to go back, but when I play a game it eats up all my free time. I can't switch between multiple mmos, there simply isn't enough time in the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

first one was free to play as well, and it was supposed to be "revolutionary" at it's release as well I'll admit I bought it and played it for a few months mainly cause my brother was playing it as well but it got boring fast as I am sure this one will. Thats one of the 2 main reasons I'm not buying it cause I fell for the hype when the first one was released. The other main reason is school's pretty busy this semester and won't have time to play anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be painfully honest, I don't think Guild Wars will or can compete with WoW, nor should it.

It should be competing or coexisting with Diablo 3 and like games. I never really felt Guild Wars had that "MMO" feel to it. It had more of a "Diablo" feel to it.

F2P does not compete for my time (or anyones I hope) the same way a P2P does. P2W games don't compete for my time at all.

If WoW was F2P in the sense Guild Wars is people would not be bitching as much as they do. However, if it was F2P in a "trial edition" sense (Spiral Knights or any Nexon game is prime example) then people avidly playing it would certainly be on their period.

TF2, as much as I dislike the community, has the perfect F2P model. You can play as much as you want, and items are randomly unlocked at any time during play. You can only unlock a certain number of items a week through play, but you can also craft, trade, or buy the items. Granted there are certain exceptions, but over time any item that is released becomes available. Items that weren't available or altered later gain prestige via item quality if you got them before they were re-released. And the best part is, to upgrade to a premium account all you have to do is buy ANTHING, from the store. It could be worth one freaking penny, and you get a premium account.

Spiral Knights (F2P, but P2W) model is so damn stingy it even hurts people shoveling money at them. You're forced an allocation of "time"(energy) to play the game a day (which can be blown in minutes), and if you want more you have to grind (the game or the auction house), shovel out more cash, or be unscrupulous. Now the upside to this model is that it doesn't want you to keep playing all day. The downside is that it doesn't reward you for not playing. You can choose to exchange your "play-time" for in-game cash and vise version, but you still have to play in order to do this. Basically this game is a giant chore. However much fun you have or not with the game, it doesn't change that it's a chore.

In conclusion: F2P > P2P > P2W.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    To be painfully honest, I don't think Guild Wars will or can compete with WoW, nor should it.

It should be competing or coexisting with Diablo 3 and like games. I never really felt Guild Wars had that "MMO" feel to it. It had more of a "Diablo" feel to it.

F2P does not compete for my time (or anyones I hope) the same way a P2P does. P2W games don't compete for my time at all.

If WoW was F2P in the sense Guild Wars is people would not be bitching as much as they do. However, if it was F2P in a "trial edition" sense (Spiral Knights or any Nexon game is prime example) then people avidly playing it would certainly be on their period.

TF2, as much as I dislike the community, has the perfect F2P model. You can play as much as you want, and items are randomly unlocked at any time during play. You can only unlock a certain number of items a week through play, but you can also craft, trade, or buy the items. Granted there are certain exceptions, but over time any item that is released becomes available. Items that weren't available or altered later gain prestige via item quality if you got them before they were re-released. And the best part is, to upgrade to a premium account all you have to do is buy ANTHING, from the store. It could be worth one freaking penny, and you get a premium account.

Spiral Knights (F2P, but P2W) model is so damn stingy it even hurts people shoveling money at them. You're forced an allocation of "time"(energy) to play the game a day (which can be blown in minutes), and if you want more you have to grind (the game or the auction house), shovel out more cash, or be unscrupulous. Now the upside to this model is that it doesn't want you to keep playing all day. The downside is that it doesn't reward you for not playing. You can choose to exchange your "play-time" for in-game cash and vise version, but you still have to play in order to do this. Basically this game is a giant chore. However much fun you have or not with the game, it doesn't change that it's a chore.

In conclusion: F2P > P2P > P2W.
    Don't compare Guildwars with Guildwars 2. That's where you're completely wrong.
    The first one didn't feel like an MMO because of the instancing. This one, should completely remove that feeling.

It will all depend on how entertaining GW2 is. If GW2 is fun enough and entertains all the free time i spend in on line games i will not come back to wow. If GW2 releases before MoP maybe i will still come back to try it but i guess MoP will be like Cataclysm, something fresh for about a week to explore the new features and then nothing to do until 5.1. I know, i know, new class, new race, pet battle system, etc but it stops being fresh really fast, wow is just saturated.

When GW2 launches i think i will change from playing:

WoW and SC2

to

GW2 and SC2 ( or maybe Diablo 3 or Aion F2P instead SC2, quality of HotS will decide it ).

But only time will tell.
    Last edited by Sughs; 2012-01-13 at 01:32 AM.

I've seen 2 people in this thread assume what GW2 is based on what they know or have experienced in GW1. GW2 only shares the name and lore with GW1, otherwise the game is COMPLETELY different.

Deleted
    Man, all these pizza and taco talk is making me hungry.

But, its not pizza and taco

Its more like 2 different kinds of pizza. You like one better, but you might still buy the other one from time to time.

Gotta hate these topics tbh it doesn't matter if it fails or not or if its got more subs than wow or not. All that matters is that the game is good and fun. I don't care is the game only gets 100k users if its a good game then its worth the money and time. whether the game is good or not is down to personal opinions ofc.

But yeah these topics have no relevance at all really as it really doesn't matter how successful it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Domiku View Post
    Gotta hate these topics tbh it doesn't matter if it fails or not or if its got more subs than wow or not. All that matters is that the game is good and fun. I don't care is the game only gets 100k users if its a good game then its worth the money and time. whether the game is good or not is down to personal opinions ofc.

But yeah these topics have no relevance at all really as it really doesn't matter how successful it is.
    Bestest post in the world.

/end thread.

Man 1 sells a deluxe pizza for $10.95

Man 2 sells a cheese pizza machine for $10.95 and sells you new toppings every couple months for $3.95

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    It's still gonna be competing for my time though.
    ^ This. Saying the two can coexist is fine in theory. In practice, plenty of people will simply choose to give their time to the one they think is more fun.

Deleted
    Hey, you made me hungry with all this pizza talking

10+ Year Old Account
    I can say with complete confidence that I wont be playing any other MMOs than GW2 when it comes

10+ Year Old Account

No it won't. GW1 was the same way and it didn't run WoW out of business why would it now. Even though GW2 should be way better than GW1, WoW also has much larger player base by now.

I agree with the OP, these two games can co-exist perfectly imho. It already did for me and many others that played GW1 along side WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verazh View Post
    I can say with complete confidence that I wont be playing any other MMOs than GW2 when it comes
    Secret world and TERA online might prove to be fun though.

10+ Year Old Account
    i doubt most of the "WoW - Kids" will like GW2 anyway. Wow and GW2 arnt or wont be much alike--

Players define with Player-Skill - that excludes most of them who hasnt skill
    Stats on gear arnt that important - that excludes those "Wut i cant pwn another player cause i have Gearscore xxxx?" Players
    "Endgame" isnt present like in WoW - that excludes the "damn questing i wanna RAID!!!" Guys
    Instances dont drom major superior Gearstats - that excludes the "why go instance when there is no progression" people
    you cant autohit own another player nor Mob or fight without dodging - that excludes the "wut i have to do something for my Gear???" Players
    This game will be more about fun than Showoff or be better than someone - that excludes "what is fun? I wanna fast epixx nao!!" guys

i think there are many more Playertypes i didnt think of just now.. all those will join SWtor... so with all those Punks stripped off this could be a very enjoyable game
    Last edited by Uriel; 2012-01-13 at 02:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yuca247 View Post
    No it won't. GW1 was the same way and it didn't run WoW out of business why would it now.
    I didn't say "think he won't run them out of business", I said "think he can't run them out of business", i.e. it is possible.

And GW1 and GW2 are so incredibly different that any comparison is irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    This just means I get two pizzas
    I'm pretty happy with two pizzas.
    Pretty much this.

I'm happy with both companies and their products. Just like I enjoy Coke and Pepsi products, and McDonalds and Burger King.

So in short- WoW will probably exist until Blizzard ever decides its finally time to shutdown the last server.

Last edited by Blufossa; 2012-01-13 at 02:31 AM.