Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is it that time already? I seriously woulda thought we would have another month before the WoW fanboys came to bitch that nothing could compete with WoW.
    Are you guys still hungry since bitching about SWTOR wasn't enough to satisfy your egos? Your arguments sound as stale as bread left out to dry.

Maybe you would like to compare the difference of features and how they are being implemented, we made 3 fucking threads about it already that cover every feature in clear detail. Instead of saying "WoW won't be beaten" why don't you actually do something logical for once and readup on what GW2 is bringing to the table, and THEN compare it to what WoW brings to front.

We never exclaimed anything about how GW2 will topple WoW, we just listed what welike about the game and what we didn't like about WoW's design philosophy.

And how the fuck can people claim GW2 is not an MMO? GW1 was an MMO FFS, and it did decent in its own right as one. Comparing GW1 to #2 is also very ignorant, as that is just like comparing WCII to WCIII. They are the same genre and IP, but they are entirely different beasts from two different generations.

Leave the ignorance at the door, if you want to talk shit about another MMO at least have the decency to look its features up and cite exactly why you think so. Don't come into this forum and think your all high and mighty because WoW has been the most successful to date.

Kings rise, they get old, they fall.

EDIT: I apologize if my post may seem rude and rage filled, but it seems some people don't listen or care what you have to say unless yu pour a cup of rage into your mesage... : /
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-01-13 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulwen View Post
    While I for the most part agree with the sentiment—those who herald WoW's demise are kidding themselves—the post itself pretty much sounds like a WoW fan trying to convince himself of WoW's longevity. With the assault of competitors (direct, indirect, whatever) coming this year, there is no doubt WoW will lose subscriptions, but the bleed will not be as significant as some would like to think.

Either way, Guild Wars 2 will thrive so long as people are interested enough in it that they pick up a copy to play alongside WoW, SW:TOR, etc., and that is the beauty of all of this. We needn't worry over competing; what we've come to know as the traditional MMO is plagued by "farm content" and/or significant downtime between patches. If the game is held to the current quality we've seen, there will be an endless supply of bored customers that come to our game just to try it out while they are bored. I played enough World of Warcraft before I quit to know that you find yourself sitting mindlessly in a city far more often than you'd expect.
    The reason you end up bored in wow standing in sw or org is because there is nothing to do outside pvp and random dungeons or raids, and guild raids on raid night.
    There are no minigames, nothing to do and the archaeology or fishing skills don't count.

Tell me in your guild do ppl log in for raid then disappear?
    Do you think they are going to bed or to some fun-er game merely playing wow out of some attachment to the guild thinking they need to keep helping on raidnight?

Sw tor has the same effect, the end game has pvp and pve stuff to do but nothing like a minigame to spend your time on while you wait.
    We don't all like doing quests while waiting in ques.

The pet battle system is this minigame wow needs right now but its only one game.

Guildwars 2 has 15 curently, and they are all fun to do for a few mins to hours when you are not in pvp or raids.
    (Also there is no real questing just dynamic events)

gw2 will compete with warcraft....saying it wont is the usual people talking out there arse.
    Get ready for the buggy unperfect release you all seem to think what wont happen.
    Cant wait to see everyone whine on here after praising it for months...looks horrid, clunky movements, not fluid, bugs bugs and more bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulwen View Post
    GW2 rivals any new upcoming platform in terms of quality and quantity—more often than not it exceeds its rivals. I realize it's easy to label free to play MMOs as "games on the side", but just because GW2 only requires an upfront purchase does not mean it will exist primarily as a game for "average MMO gamers" to play when they're bored. There will be many players that play it alongside their subscription MMO, no doubt, but GW2 has proven to be far more attractive to subscription gamers that anyone ever really expected it to be. People only have so much time, and GW2 has been shown to have quite a lot of content. It's very easy to assume that everyone is in high school and can play two games simultaneously without cost.
    I go by what this guy says when i show ppl the game.
    He has many good points about how to get over the stigma to free ish games.

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs View Post
    gw2 will compete with warcraft....saying it wont is the usual people talking out there arse.
    Get ready for the buggy unperfect release you all seem to think what wont happen.
    Cant wait to see everyone whine on here after praising it for months...looks horrid, clunky movements, not fluid, bugs bugs and more bugs.
    i dont think iv ever seen the argument that gw2 will be bug free on release

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 07:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    It doesn't matter how much you do to defend GW2, B2P and F2P for MMO's mean practically the same thing, and you get what I mean by that. The game is so different from WoW that both can co-exist and they dont 'steal' each others playerbase because they appeal to different types of people and gamestyles.

Thinking GW2 is going to make all of WoW's playerbase unsubscribe, and go play it for the rest of their lives is something that won't happen, and yet every single time a new 'ground breaking' mmo comes out people say the same thing, 'oh this one th REAL WoW killer'. That's wrong, a lot of peopel can take time for both MMOs because there is no raiding in GW2 so PvE is a lot more trivial for it, im not saying there is no PvE I am saying PvP from everything I have seen seems to be the primary focus with a good bit of PvE to the side, where in WoW PvE is the primary focus with a good bit of PvP to the side.

GW2 doesn't even have the trinity system, which will appeal to some and not to others, it won't kill WoW, it won't de-throne WoW just like Aion didnt, and Rift didnt, and DCUO didnt, and Swtor wont, and AoC didnt, and every other MMO you could possibly think of that came out after WoW. It is compltely possibly for the two games to co-exist together and both be games people play, but don't think there will only ever been one dominant MMO, especially when these two MMOs are COMPLETELY different.

I honestly could play WoW and some GW2 to the side when im waiting for a new patch or when i dont feel like playing WoW, or it could be the exact opposite. As mainly a PvE player, GW2's pve does not appeal to me, the game looks interesting though, but that's all im giving it. I won't be quitting WoW for GW2, there is no point I can buy GW2 like I would buy a console game and keep paying for WoW like I normally would.

GW2 and WoW are in two seperate markets, they aren't competing, or at least not majorly.

Plus nobody knows how good GW2 is, they promise a lot sure, will they deliver, or will they deliver to the point you are expecting, they may give what they told but not to the quality you are expecting, or they may deliver. You won't know until you play it, which i am betting, none of you have.
    well, swtor,aion,aoc, and rift dident offer anything different or new for the mmo as a genera (aside from rifts which were a gimmick and better story elements). you cant say they are are trying to appeal to different markets, they are both mmos that are fantasy based that use key-bindings gw2 IS competing for wows player base just like any other mmo on the market, they all want a slice of the cake wow used to have. i think a non trinity system will appeal to more people then it repulses due to the fact no one likes getting a group of 3 dps for a dungeon instantly and then having to wait 40m-1h spamming in trade and general chat for a tank and healer just to play the game, not to mention healer and tank players generally dictate how group play functions......oh you disagree with the tank> (you have been removed from teh group) oh you your arguing with the healer? (you have been removed from the group) you dont like how the guild healers and tanks treat the other raid members as replaceable tools and you want the gm to do something about it?(you have been kicked from the guild) yeah im sorry i cant see a game that doesn't have such design flaws not becoming more popular instantly. oh and for the record i have played GW2
    Last edited by pharaum; 2012-01-13 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Is it that time already? I seriously woulda thought we would have another month before the WoW fanboys came to bitch that nothing could compete with WoW.
    Are you guys still hungry since bitching about SWTOR wasn't enough to satisfy your egos? Your arguments sound as stale as bread left out to dry.

Maybe you would like to compare the difference of features and how they are being implemented, we made 3 fucking threads about it already that cover every feature in cear detail. Instead of say "WoW won't be beaten" why don't you actually do smething logical for once and readup on what GW2 is bringing to the table, and THEN compare it to what WoW brings to front.

We never exclaimed anything about how GW2 will topple WoW, we just listed what welike about the game and what we didn't like about WoW's design philosophy.

And how the fuck can people claim GW2 is not an MMO? GW1 was an MMO FFS, and it did decent in its own right as one. Comparing GW1 to #2 is also very ignorant, as that is just like comparing WCII to WCIII. They are the same genre and IP, but they are entirely different beasts from two different generations.

Leave the ignorance at the door, if you want to talk shit about another MMO at least have the decency to look its features up and cite exactly why you think so. Don't come into this forum and think your all high and mighty because WoW has been the most successful to date.

EDIT: I apologize if my post may seem rude and rage filled, but it seems some people don't listen or care what you have to say unless yu pour a cup of rage into your mesage... : /
    Whats quite funny is every game that is released is a pile of fucking clunky shit that wont kill wow bla bla bla yet most wow players praise this game, which makes me think that games like swtor really got the wow fanbase sweating and panicking that it might just do better than wow. Thing is gw2 if anything is the game that is up there to destroy wow more than others yet the fools cant see this lol.....ahh well like i said in my other post it wont take long beofre people are on here bitching about how shit gw2 is and then they will just move onto the next game thats announced to bash. Seems to be a trend with the fanboys.

Also pharaum people talk like this game will be the be all and end all when in reality ive no doubt the game will be riddled with bugs and piss people off to the point of posting threads about wanting to get there money back like in every other game thats released. Also gw2 doesnt really offer anything new either, people are dilusional, its just been made to look prettier...after playing it at eurogamer i fail to see what was suppose to be new even at that early stage. Maybe i should ask kouki he/she seems to talk like he/she has had the game installed on his/her computer for the last 6 months.
    Last edited by Suggs; 2012-01-13 at 06:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Maybe you would like to compare the difference of features and how they are being implemented, we made 3 fucking threads about it already that cover every feature in clear detail. Instead of saying "WoW won't be beaten" why don't you actually do something logical for once and readup on what GW2 is bringing to the table, and THEN compare it to what WoW brings to front.

Well im not here to bash it im looking forward to it hell id pay monthly if they would release it now lol.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 06:25 AM ----------

The control is very tight fuild and responsive.

And it has an entire underwater game, no dont think like wow's water or any other underwater game.
    The game is huge its fun and you pay as much as you think its worth if the first expansion sucks to you dont buy it but that does not mean you cant keep playing.

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 06:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pharaum View Post
    i dont think iv ever seen the argument that gw2 will be bug free on release

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 07:20 AM ----------

well, swtor,aion,aoc, and rift dident offer anything different or new for the mmo as a genera (aside from rifts which were a gimmick and better story elements). you cant say they are are trying to appeal to different markets, they are both mmos that are fantasy based that use key-bindings gw2 IS competing for wows player base just like any other mmo on the market, they all want a slice of the cake wow used to have. i think a non trinity system will appeal to more people then it repulses due to the fact no one likes getting a group of 3 dps for a dungeon instantly and then having to wait 40m-1h spamming in trade and general chat for a tank and healer just to play the game, not to mention healer and tank players generally dictate how group play functions......oh you disagree with the tank> (you have been removed from teh group) oh you your arguing with the healer? (you have been removed from the group) you dont like how the guild healers and tanks treat the other raid members as replaceable tools and you want the gm to do something about it?(you have been kicked from the guild) yeah im sorry i cant see a game that doesn't have some design flaws not becoming more popular instantly. oh and for the record i have played GW2
    Did you like the controls and water combat?

---------- Post added 2012-01-13 at 06:29 AM ----------

Whats quite funny is every game that is released is a pile of fucking clunky shit that wont kill wow bla bla bla yet most wow players praise this game, which makes me think that games like swtor really got the wow fanbase sweating and panicking that it might just do better than wow. Thing is gw2 if anything is the game that is up there to destroy wow more than others yet the fools cant see this lol.....ahh well like i said in my other post it wont take long beofre people are on here bitching about how shit gw2 is and then they will just move onto the next game thats announced to bash. Seems to be a trend with the fanboys.

Also pharaum people talk like this game will be the be all and end all when in reality ive no doubt the game will be riddled with bugs and piss people off to the point of posting threads about wanting to get there money back like in every other game thats released. Also gw2 doesnt really offer anything new either, people are dilusional, its just been made to look prettier...after playing it at eurogamer i fail to see what was suppose to be new even at that early stage. Maybe i should ask kouki he/she seems to talk like he/she has had the game installed on his/her computer for the last 6 months.
    The way i see it there will be ppl who bitch and qq, and quit even if they have some fun because it wont be exactly like wow.

However new ppl just getting into pc gaming or the mmo market will come to the newest game, or if they are star wars fans they will find tor and star trek fans will find the free to play star trek online.

Wow will eventually one day die, and i think it will not be a slow death, were seeing death pains already 2.1million lost subs in half a year or less.

I have not read once in this thread from anyone advocating GW2 that GW2 will kill wow.
    The funny thing is it's only the people who are advocating wow in this thread that are bringing up this subject.
    My last post merely says that ofc it's theoretically possible.

Kinda hoping this silly thread gets closed now. Edge? please? (makes sad kitten eyes)
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-01-13 at 06:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe i should ask kouki he/she seems to talk like he/she has had the game installed on his/her computer for the last 6 months.
    I Read their website often, watch live-streams of the gaming conventions and study up on the classes ill be playing.

Ask me whatever you want to ask though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Well im not here to bash it im looking forward to it hell id pay monthly if they would release it now lol.

And it has an entire underwater game, no dont think like wow's water or any other underwater game.
    The game is huge its fun and you pay as much as you think its worth if the first expansion sucks to you dont buy it but that does not mean you cant keep playing.

The way i see it there will be ppl who bitch and qq, and quit even if they have some fun because it wont be exactly like wow.

However new ppl just getting into pc gaming or the mmo market will come to the newest game, or if they are star wars fans they will find tor and star trek fans will find the free to play star trek online.

Wow will eventually one day die, and i think it will not be a slow death, were seeing death pains already 2.1million lost subs in half a year or less.
    yes and yes, to be honest tho i spent most of my time switching between all the classes and trying different weapon setups on land then i did in water

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post

yes and yes, to be honest tho i spent most of my time switching between all the classes and trying different weapon setups on land then i did in water

yes and yes, to be honest tho i spent most of my time switching between all the classes and trying different weapon setups on land then i did in water .at kouki

10+ Year Old Account

The thing I love about this is that you cite every other MMO ad nauseum as to why this game will fail, yet never once cite any features you think will be a problem for the game. And yet here you are! Sitting ing the GW2 forum complaining like every other person that GW2 cannot compete.

I guess practically yelling in text wasnt enough to convince you to visit any of the threads showcasing its features? You even said you TRIED the game, why the hell do you not tell us what is it aout this game that you do not think will be sucesful?

The reason why every other MMO failed was because THEY WERE COPYING WOW TO BEGIN WITH. They provided almost no new innovations to the genre whatsoever, and tried to copy the WoW model for profit. But the key flaw in their idea was that the majority of the demodemographic was already deep into WoW. Why would anyone in their right minds play this cone when they could enjoy the original with they're freinds?

At least Guild Wars isn't tryng to compare itself to anything else, it is trying to do what almost no other game has done in 7 years, innovate, and that is why I think it will be just as successful as WoW.

Still waiting on your reasons why it will fail though, that garbage I quoted sounds very much like it was copy/pasted from another forum
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-01-13 at 06:54 AM.

Define, failed. Less than 5 million subs is not a failure. There is only a single MMO that has achieved the 9-10 million sub range, um, Warcraft.

MMOs with a smaller than Warcraft player base can be and are successful. Nothing will kill off Warcraft. Its a cultural phenomenon.

This "they failed because they are copying WoW" stuff is nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kill off WoW no, but further reduce the "real" player base I can easily see happening if they deliver a combat system that is just as good. By real I am talking about the player who actually raids or pvps and ends up getting some heroic/2200 gear every content patch. I have noticed since SWTOR launched a lot less quality players on when I log in on an alt whose not on Tich or KT. Even on Tich it seems like its gone downhill a bit. (Though this week it seems to be picking up again.) I think GW2 will contribute to that, especially if WoW pvp keeps going in the wrong direction.

The key test for Guild Wars 2 will be the combat.

I like to think of it as the Call of Duty effect, its a level of responsiveness and visual feedback that makes playing incredibly satisfying even though the game might lack the depth or graphical fidelity of other titles. CoD might not look as good as BF3, or offer that many map types or class types or vehicles, but just firing the gun is so responsive and has such great feedback that it's fun; and I find the WoW combat system the same. When I hit a key the UI and the animations and the response time makes it fun. Warhammer failed to be able to do that, Age of Conan failed to be able to do that, Aion failed to be able to do that, Rift failed to be able to do that, and SWTOR has failed more then any of them when it comes to actually making the combat fun.

So I hope Guild Wars 2 can do that, the game play videos look promising, but if it can't then it wont make any long term drop in WoW's subscriber base.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    I dont think anyone believes it will kill wow.
    Wow will stay strong because it's a known name, and it works smooth on most computers and that's strong in competition.
    But overall it's not money competition, it's time competition. Normal "Mr Svensson" out there usually haven't got time for more than one mmo. For people who have the time, well they can play many games same time and probably already do.
    I just think it's a fun game, and if it has about same amount of player as Rift do now or a bit more, that's good enough for me. I think there will be more though, just because there are many free to play players out there that you never meet in subfee games and those probably hop on the GW2 train.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I dont think anyone believes it will kill wow.
    Wow will stay strong because it's a known name, and it works smooth on most computers and that's strong in competition.
    But overall it's not money competition, it's time competition. Normal "Mr Svensson" out there usually haven't got time for more than one mmo. For people who have the time, well they can play many games same time and probably already do.
    I just think it's a fun game, and if it has about same amount of player as Rift do now or a bit more, that's good enough for me. I think there will be more though, just because there are many free to play players out there that you never meet in subfee games and those probably hop on the GW2 train.
    I take offence to this:

Guild Wars 2 is not a free game, it gives the consumer the power to choose how they spend their money and if the game is worth it.
    Say when an expansion comes out and your not so into it "Pandas" then you dont buy it and that tells them to try harder their own words.

With a sub fee game your charged to keep repeating the same content with 6month breaks between any notable patch.
    You spent 180 bucks on wow for 3 patches did you think that Firelands was worth that? just to repeat it with the same guild?

With guildwars 1 they were at 6million people, they never charged a sub fee and did not even have a cash shop for years.
    The opening day sales of the game keep it running any company charging a monthly fee is ripping you off.
    And anyone saying otherwise is blind or making excuses to feel better about the cost.

Truely free to play mmo's Nexon.net are Awesome games in their own niche.
    Vindictus is the closest thing to the combat of guildwars, although guildwars will be more fluid, Vindictus is also using an nvidia physx engine on water cloth and has character reflections.

When you stop playing one call of duty for another you do it for the improvements to the game, the new maps and modes weapons and story elements.
    You spend 50 bucks per game and it lasts until the next one comes out your not paying 15 a month to keep shooting people.

Take a step back to meridian 59 an mmo that charged on the hour.

The future of mmo's is Buy once play for free after.

Deleted
    I think my time will co exist, first week new patch wow, push rating to as high as i can do LFR, log onto GW2 play until wow resets rinse repeat until i get sick of doing that in wow and cancel sub. If the pvp is shit in mop then i will probably just outright quit.

tbh imho GW2 will have as much as an impact on WoW like MW3,BF3 or Skyrim did if we compare it to recent title's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Man 1 sells pizzas for 10.95
    Man 2 gives away pizzas for free

You think man 2 can't run man 1 out of business?
    For experienced PVP player who waited years when the fuck Blizzard will do something shiny out of their disbalanced crap pizza sellers will be like:
    Man 1 sells pizzas with tasty marshmallows for PVErs for 10.95 (a cute little toy comes with it as a gift) and with spits for PVPers for the same 10.95.
    Man 2 sells pizzas cooked with love for both kind of people. And both of pizzas are delicious. The cost in this case doesn't really matter.