Jedi Guardians... wonderful storyline but painful gameplay?

Hi there.
    I'm levelling mainly my Jedi Guardian right now, but I have to say that, at my actual level (40) the rotation has become really painful!
    You have at least 13 different skills to consider for fights and to fit in your rotation, all of which are really important; some of these are on long cooldown (30sec-1min), some other on medium cds (12-15 seconds) and some other again on short cd (6-0). The problem here is that none of them fits in a "clean" rotation, and paying attention to 13 cooldowns is very hard!
    Can someone tell me if he's feeling the same or if not, some suggestions to make this rotation at least "bearable"?
    Are other classes experiencing the same?

10+ Year Old Account
    Tank or DPS spec?
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

My guardian is 32 and I do not feel any rotational pain. I am very excited I finally go my AOE saber attack.

There is a post about playing a Guardian properly on these forums and it takes a look at rotation, which is not looking at 13 buttons. It is like 6-7 for a single target or multiple target situation. This does not take into account defensive CD's as they are used depending on situation.

I am playing a Sith Juggernaut as tank spec, level 47 now and the only complaint I have is not enough space on my bars. I use all of them also but the rotation to me is not hard, just timing is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many hotkeys? I feel you, immortal sith juggernault here.

I bound stuff to ALT+QWERF and ALT+12345 and still far from enough.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    My guardian is 32 and I do not feel any rotational pain. I am very excited I finally go my AOE saber attack.

There is a post about playing a Guardian properly on these forums and it takes a look at rotation, which is not looking at 13 buttons. It is like 6-7 for a single target or multiple target situation. This does not take into account defensive CD's as they are used depending on situation.
    Its lackluster.

Also from that point on you really dont use aoe tanking. 1-3 mobs at MOST. (Im a 34 guardian, and I was super stoked to get it, then felt like a huge letdown)

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post

I'd like to have only 6-7 in the rotation...
    There's Strike, Sundering Strike, Force Leap, Saber Throw, Force Leap, Bladestorm, Riposte, Guardian Slash, Hilt Strike, Cyclone Slash, Slash, Master Strike, Combat Focus and (probably, I don't have it yet) Dispatch. That brings the count to 14... Even if you want to exclude Force Leap, Saber Throw and Combat Focus (that probably are the most situational skills of those I mentioned) there are still 11 skills to be "rotationed"... I'd like only to know if even other classes have so much skills in the rotation, or the JK is an exception. Just curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tanking multiple mobs on my JK tank can be annoying. Just hit 41 so I've figured out how to make it a bit easier as long as they are in range of my Cyclone Slash and Force Sweep. I actually really enjoy the play style and I'll be glad when I hit 50 and switch over to DPS. Even as a tank I can mow down normal mobs in about 3 abilities and strong in about 1 full rotation.

Macros will fix it. All melees will be like Rift classes with 15 abilities bound to a single key that you just wear out. I dont like faceroll classes but I believe they went WAY overboard with the amount of abilities needed by some classes compared to others. I refuse to play a light sabre class because I like playing games for fun not remapping my entire keyboard plus a 14 button mouse just to play at an acceptable level.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2012-01-14 at 04:12 AM.

Hi, level 50 guardian dps here. The rotation evens out as soon as you pick up Victory Rush (2 points, sundering strike gives 1 extra focus) and if I had to do it over again I'd have picked VR up before I even got Plasma Brand. Your rotation looks like this
    Saber Throw, Force Leap
    Sundering Strike, Plasma Brand, Overhead Slash, Sundering Strike, Master Strike (OR, Blade Storm, Strike)
    There's debate between Master Strike and Blade Storm, I feel master strike is better however blade storm will come our much further ahead if you can't use MS for the full duration (you have to interrupt or move).
    Divine, Unmarred and Electrified
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Demaio/simple
    Retired(ish)

As a 49 Guardian I can say the amount of useful abilities is a little overwhelming at first. I was counting the other night, and i had 17, not including my Cd's or taunts or trinkets or CC. I couldn't even fit all the key binds on my old mouse. I think it is just a matter of practice to get used to it, I find the more I play, the smoother my character is becoming. It's just a bigger learning curve then the other classes. I mean, you can't be mad at Bioware for giving the Guardian such versatility in a fight, just have to learn to master it. Much harder to play then my gunslinger or consular so far. But I can't say there is a 'clean rotation', its really just internally getting used to when your various CD's will be done and knowing which order to use them. It also helps if you kind of group them on the bar, by how long a CD they have so your eyes have less to move.

Little Priority list I use as a tank on a single target:

Start fight with saber throw + leap then:

Riposte > Blade Storm > Force Sweep > Guardian Slash > Dispatch(if <20%) > Master Strike > Slash > Strike

Keep in mind its a priority list, not a rotation. Obviously you need to generate the focus first with either Sundering strike, Strike or Combat Readiness. You can fit two abilities in(+ riposte since its off GCD) after you use Sundering strike before it will be off CD again, provided you have enough focus. Also you will want to use Force Sweep before Riposte or Blade storm when tanking multiple enemies. You would also want to then ignore slash, and use cyclone slash instead.

- Use Combat Focus on CD as long as you have room for the focus. (Wont waste any)
    - Save your Force Stasis/Hilt Strike/Push for interrupts because once every 10 seconds on kick isn't enough. Can also save stasis for an O SHIT moment to give the healer 3 seconds to heal you up. Won't work on some bosses though as they will move through stasis.

Also check out this thread on MMO already, just go to the Guardian section. Really helped me. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...al-Game-Guides
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2012-01-14 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Added some info.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    I rerolled a shadow after getting a guardian to 45. Feels like I have way more abilities on my shadow then I did on my guardian lol. But Knights get the shaft compared to Sith Warriors. We get no healer until lvl 35ish when we go to Balmorra. That was a huge pain until that level. After you get your tier 5 though in the tanking tree, you really feel like a tank and I could take on heroics 2+s easily and champions as well.