Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sulmithagreyse View Post
    what certain areas? the people who played planetside were mostly FPS guys. people are never really into fps/mmofps AND rpg/mmorpg equally because they're very different things for very different commitment schedules. leads me to believe you're another "i play mmorpgs but don't like mmorpgs" guy

getting really tired of that. i don't like wearing dresses. it'd be like me wearing dresses and bitching about it.
    Congrats on being wrong. Your assumption that because i'm looking forward to Planetside2 means I dont like RPG's makes you look like a tool, i've played dozens of MMORPG's over the past 12 years (far more than FPS's) and I enjoyed nearly all that I played. I get tired of people making conceited judgements because they dont agree with someones opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Congrats on being wrong. Your assumption that because i'm looking forward to Planetside2 means I dont like RPG's makes you look like a tool, i've played dozens of MMORPG's over the past 12 years (far more than FPS's) and I enjoyed nearly all that I played. I get tired of people making conceited judgements because they dont agree with someones opinion.
    and i've hit my finger with a hammer dozens of times, i still don't like it one bit.

i get tired of people who CLEARLY do not like MMORPGS (the POINT of ROLE-PLAYING GAME is to make you forget you're you and let you become your character)

uptight people hellbent on living ONLY in reality do NOT like RPGs
    people who had rather play an FPS (or an MMOFPS like planetside) do NOT like RPGs
    people who don't want to lose themselves in a game (time, too much reading, they play while doing 10 other things) do NOT like RPGs

you see, wow hit 12 million because they did everything to appeal to people who do NOT like RPGs. it worked in the short-term but now the game has no RPG element to it at all. there is no story for your character, it's a bunch of crap you do to kill time until you can kill time in raids or sw or org.

the RPG ELEMENT should be like what bioware made for swtor. i don't THINK gw2 has that strong of a RPG element, but it's definitely an improvement over wow. i think it will be a happy medium for people who don't have the time for all the story of SWTOR but are tired of reading quests about killing boars.

and there will be a similar "quest per level ratio" as in swtor. you get more out of each quest in swtor than you do wow, as far as xp vs overall xp needed to level.

fewer quests that are more involving feel less repetitive.

gw2 is gonna be a nice compromise between a true RPG like swtor and whatever the hell wow has become.

Do random musings really deserve a whole thread? So you'll be done with MMOs until Titan. Who cares?

Nevertheless, it's going to have to be a colossal failure for me to not play it. It doesn't have a sub fee so I'll find some way to get my 60 dollars of enjoyment out of it at least.

if you prefer a fantasy setting, why in the hell would you buy a sci-fi game in the first place?

that type of stuff blows my mind. i went to the grocery store today. i didn't buy beer because i didn't want beer. i can't even think of a logical reason to waste money on something i know i don't like.

the fact you even gave a type of game you don't like a try is proof to me that you're not happy with wow, you're just addicted. people were like that in wotlk and are just now trickling out. you have all that time invested in your toon and can't validate wasting it and putting that effort into another toon

blizz added the achievement system SPECIFICALLY for this reason. you can SEE what you've done and that visual makes it that much more addictive
    ...re-read my post again.

"I get on the hype train way to often and then get let down on release"

In the case of TOR, I was excited about it and I was let down by the end game because it is the same thing as WoW. Your analogy is stupid also. I wanted to try a new MMO, hence why I said RIFT wasn't good either.

I see that you clearly have strong feelings for TOR but the game wasn't for me. It felt just like WoW with bugs and a clunky gear obtaining end-game system which will obviously be sorted out.

But I may as well go back to a game that has a functioning end-game that is equivalent to TOR's and basically 95% polished.

Edit:

I've also played WoW since vanilla,on and off, for 7 years. Believe me, I am definitely looking for something new and so far no MMO has given me that or just gives me the same thing WoW has been giving since it launched.
    Last edited by Lirik; 2012-01-14 at 04:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirik View Post
    It is literally the same end game grind as WoW. I prefer WoW's setting and end game grind more though.
    Kinda what they were selling from day 1.

This is a huge problem with those interested in other MMOs- they are tired of Warcraft style MMOs but keep playing and choosing games expressly made in that style. With raid endgames and gear progression, disproportionate PVP, etc.

It seems willfully ignorant to play a theme park MMO such as SWTOR and be disappointed it uses the structure of Warcraft. Kinda reminds me of those people who signed up for Rift and thought it was a sandbox MMO. LOL, for real.

If one is not looking for that style of game or uninterested in that style of game- don't pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstormer View Post
    Idk about all those being fail, I would say Rift was at least as good as Wrath and better than the parts of Cataclysm I played for. That's the only other one I tried but the "WoW killers" usually have something making them worth playing.

Looking forward to GW2. At this point I really just want to see blizz burn.
    And why is that? Aren't there more precious matters to focus your energy on?

GW2 will burn Blizz about as much as Rift and SWTOR, especially considering how different it is. Yes, believe it or not, a lot of peoples opinions differs from others and a lot of people do not like the sound of GW2.

I do, however, and I will play both WoW and GW2. If GW2 turns out to be bad, I'll keep playing only WoW as main MMORPG and be very happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Congrats on being wrong ... Your assumption ... makes you look like a tool
    How ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

This is a huge problem with those interested in other MMOs- they are tired of Warcraft style MMOs but keep playing and choosing games expressly made in that style. With raid endgames and gear progression, disproportionate PVP, etc.

It seems willfully ignorant to play a theme park MMO such as SWTOR and be disappointed it uses the structure of Warcraft. Kinda reminds me of those people who signed up for Rift and thought it was a sandbox MMO. LOL, for real.

If one is not looking for that style of game or uninterested in that style of game- don't pursue it.
    I went in with the assumption that at least it would be a little different. Not the same exact thing as WoW in end-game. I also didn't like my class, so that plays a big role... didn't want to reroll and hit 50 again though because the first time around is brutal :P

I mean, I have no regrets buying it. I gave it a shot and I didn't like it.. I guess I should have expected it to be like WoW but..meh.

gw2 is gonna be a nice compromise between a true RPG like swtor and whatever the hell wow has become.
    WoW is still the same game it was at the start. It has never had anything but read-them quests and some voice acting, it has always had the aspect of collecting and having to imagine your characters story based upon what you achieve with it and what YOU want for it.

I can tell you the story of each of my characters. Oh yeah, they all have one. I've used MY imagination, not the devs, to form my characters and make them matter to me.

WoW is a great game for those that it appeals to. Simple as that. SWTOR didn't appeal to me at all, and I still love RPG.

they'll then turn around and bitch about games like gw/gw2 that has no end-game gear grind and say that "what's the point"

they're simply what i called them, people who DO NOT LIKE MMORPGs

i love the genre. i'm not an FPS guy other than 5 hour per month of a new L4D2 map or something. therefore i don't buy fps games and complain they're like an fps

10+ Year Old Account
    and i've hit my finger with a hammer dozens of times, i still don't like it one bit.

i get tired of people who CLEARLY do not like MMORPGS (the POINT of ROLE-PLAYING GAME is to make you forget you're you and let you become your character)

uptight people hellbent on living ONLY in reality do NOT like RPGs
    people who had rather play an FPS (or an MMOFPS like planetside) do NOT like RPGs
    people who don't want to lose themselves in a game (time, too much reading, they play while doing 10 other things) do NOT like RPGs
    Then I have a revelation for you, I like RPG's. You can take your hat of omniscience off now and stop making arbitrary statements about other peoples opinions just because you disagree with them.

Or is my opinion still invalid because I enjoy other unrelated games?

they'll then turn around and bitch about games like gw/gw2 that has no end-game gear grind and say that "what's the point"

i love the genre. i'm not an FPS guy other than 5 hour per month of a new L4D2 map or something. therefore i don't buy fps games and complain they're like an fps
    I don't agree with this. Someone who can set a new standard for MMO's, like GW2, and completely change the face of how MMO's are designed deserves to be put in the spotlight. I'm just sick of the WoW style MMO's. Endgame grind is what WoW is known for and what it is. GW2 can show people that MMO's are supposed to be more than getting gear and that is why I want to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    WoW is still the same game it was at the start. It has never had anything but read-them quests and some voice acting, it has always had the aspect of collecting and having to imagine your characters story based upon what you achieve with it and what YOU want for it.

I can tell you the story of each of my characters. Oh yeah, they all have one. I've used MY imagination, not the devs, to form my characters and make them matter to me.

WoW is a great game for those that it appeals to. Simple as that. SWTOR didn't appeal to me at all, and I still love RPG.
    even wow's developers say it changed in 2008 with the arrival of greg street. that's really not debatable, they say they changed their game, i feel like they changed their game, they 100% for sure changed their game. now, moving on.

your character's story is like my character's story. my deathknight's story was no different than my hunter's story or my "did no quests at all and leveled to 85" character's story.

i had NO personal attachment to my characters. my attachment to wow was my guild in bc that didn't make it to wotlk before RL took over for most of them. when the community is your attachment, there is no RPG element and you do things that make your server's community irrelevant, you end up with what wow is today, a bleeding giant.

wow isn't an MMORPG anymore. it's really just an MMO

I went in with the assumption that at least it would be a little different. Not the same exact thing as WoW in end-game. I also didn't like my class, so that plays a big role... didn't want to reroll and hit 50 again though because the first time around is brutal :P

I mean, I have no regrets buying it. I gave it a shot and I didn't like it.. I guess I should have expected it to be like WoW but..meh.
    That's fair. I have no qualms with folks not liking a given game. But it seems pretty unintelligent of players to play a game made in a certain style and then complain they don't like that style. Or are simply tired of that style, as is often the case.

Rift and SWTOR are selling theme park MMOs. They each have their gimmicks here and there- one is in space, the other has dynamic events, etc. Though they are primarily aimed at giving players a certain type of endgame.

Both are actually quite successful from a $ and design POV, as well. Though gamers often [falsely] assume anything with less than 10 million subs is 'dead'. Ignorant of the fact few MMOs can boast such popularity- like one or two, basically.

Not liking a certain game, that's cool. Not understanding what one bought- kinda stupid.

I don't agree with this. Someone who can set a new standard for MMO's, like GW2, and completely change the face of how MMO's are designed deserves to be put in the spotlight. I'm just sick of the WoW style MMO's. Endgame grind is what WoW is known for and what it is. GW2 can show people that MMO's are supposed to be more than getting gear and that is why I want to play it.
    but see, swtor has already done that. everyone who loves the RPG ELEMENT OF AN RPG will love swtor. it nailed it. you ARE your toon. by level 5 you also need help from others. it's exactly what an MMORPG should be.

gw2 is also changing things compared to wow, but basically doing what swtor did in another way. it's doing things the same way swtor has done them in others. end game is totally different though, endgame in gw is not about gear, for everyone who thinks wow set the standard, gw2 will be a let down because of that.

gw has always done things their way, and most people don't know the game exists or came out right before wow.

wow cornered the "hook the new players who aren't rpg fans" market and they're oblivious to the rest of the world.

i have no doubt gw2 will be a great game. i also doubt that these "i think i'm an MMORPG player but i'm really not" people will not like it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    ....ok...... care to actually contribute to the thread and give a reason why you think so little of us?
    I don't think they meant that they lost hope in humanity because of what people were saying but because of OP's question i.e If GW2 isn't good they will lose hope in humanity.

That's fair. I have no qualms with folks not liking a given game. But it seems pretty unintelligent of players to play a game made in a certain style and then complain they don't like that style. Or are simply tired of that style, as is often the case.

Rift and SWTOR are selling theme park MMOs. They each have their gimmicks here and there- one is in space, the other has dynamic events, etc. Though they are primarily aimed at giving players a certain type of endgame.

Both are actually quite successful from a $ and design POV, as well. Though gamers often [falsely] assume anything with less than 10 million subs is 'dead'. Ignorant of the fact few MMOs can boast such popularity- like one or two, basically.

Not liking a certain game, that's cool. Not understanding what one bought- kinda stupid.
    I did my research on SWTOR before I bought the game. Not only that, I was a border line fanboy of the game. I enjoyed leveling 1-50, except for all the traveling.

But because I've played WoW for 7 years everything I see in a new MMO will 100% be compared back to WoW. I guess that is what plagues a lot of WoW players. Not only that, it feels so weird playing a different MMO because its almost like you are away from home(WoW), lol.

I am/was desperately looking for a way out of WoW in to a new MMO and I really want GW2 to deliver. I want them to show me that MMO's aren't about a grind but about so much more.

even wow's developers say it changed in 2008 with the arrival of greg street. that's really not debatable, they say they changed their game, i feel like they changed their game, they 100% for sure changed their game. now, moving on.

your character's story is like my character's story. my deathknight's story was no different than my hunter's story or my "did no quests at all and leveled to 85" character's story.

i had NO personal attachment to my characters. my attachment to wow was my guild in bc that didn't make it to wotlk before RL took over for most of them. when the community is your attachment, there is no RPG element and you do things that make your server's community irrelevant, you end up with what wow is today, a bleeding giant.

wow isn't an MMORPG anymore. it's really just an MMO
    All of this, is opinion based. You feel this way about characters and the game, others do not. And we are, luckily, able to stay in WoW and not being forced to move to let's say...SWTOR.

My brothers played from launch day, I saw the questing back then and it was not different. There was never individual RPG elements for each character. You need to use imagination based upon how you level the character. You clearly missed the DK starting area, by the way.

Everyone playing Red Dead Redemption, experienced the same thing. Their John Marston went through the exact same story as my John Marston. But still my saved files > theirs for what I've experienced in them. Same applies for WoW.

I've had my WOW main for years now, and I would probably cry if she was taken away.

A bleeding giant can heal, and will always be a giant.

The server community, was always irrelevant. Noone I know had more than a couple of friends + guild that they hanged out/ran content with unless needing pug people, and they then found people on /trade after much spamming.

@ sulmithagreyse

I think you are being rather... pointlessly disrespectful here. Let others think whatever they want. The way you go about others' opinions here is like hey, if you do not like sci-fi, then it is obvious you would not like the game. Guess what? They are free to try it, and to not like it if they simply do not like it. I like sci-fi, but I did not like the game since it was too WoW-ish to my liking, and I want something new.

Honestly, people will defend whatever. You do not have to. Let others say what they want, debate it if you wish, but do not question why they did not like something you enjoy like they are wrong or something. It is kind of pointless. Nobody was bashing TOR to begin with...

On topic:
    I hope GW2 does not fail. I love some concepts they game for the game, like moving away from the stupid 'holy trinity', and how questing seems to be more natural. I do not really like looking for groups to do stuff. I like cooperating, but it is great if we are all in the same place at the same time and can cooperate without talking much if we do not want that. I also think that GW2 might offer the best PvP experience out there, one that is more war-like. I still miss something like Lineage II and Ragnarok had. I wish GW2 would do siege modes too

Um, yea... I don't really agree. There is room for many different styles of game within the industry and within each genre.

I do enjoy raid focused endgames and gear progression. Greatly, in fact. Also enjoy RPGs and MMORPGs which don't always have those elements. Shouldn't have any aversion to a particular way of presenting the concept of any given genre.

No trinity? Yea, that's fine. Make it fun!
    Trinity? Yea, that's fine. Make fun!
    FPS? Yea, that's fine. Make it fun!
    MMO? Yea, that's fine. Make it fun!
    RTS? Yea, that's fine. Make it fun!
    MMORTSFPSMOBA? Make it fun!

Not looking or interested in playing one type of game or one style of MMO forevermore. I want to play all the gamez!