Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My 1st Build, suggestions?

So I've been browsing newegg for the last few days mixing and matching parts to build my 1st PC for myself (not too savvy on PC building yet). Let me start off by saying the only game I play is WoW so I'm not going all out for i5 or i7 CPU's or a crazy graphics card either. I just need it for WoW and other everyday stuff and I think from the parts I chose it should do nicely hopefully. Any feedback for better items etc is appreciated in-case I did overlook something.

Case
    CPU
    MoBo
    PSU
    RAM
    HDD

I hope these parts can come together and make a decent build and last a couple years. Also, THIS, is the PSU I had originally chosen but some reviews of it left me unsure. Do you guys think this would handle my needs fairly well? Thanks for any input.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please name your budget...

Oh sorry, I've got plenty to cover just about any build but I wanna keep this under $800-1000.

10+ Year Old Account
    You say you can cover any build? You could snag a nice 7970 build for $1.2k.

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair CAFA70 61.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.86 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($107.11 @ CompUSA)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($533.98 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.89 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1221.79
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-01-14 11:36 EST-0500)

Otherwise just take that build and throw in any other graphics card, 6970, 580, etc.

Yea thats a nice build. I just cant bring myself to spend $500 on a video card when I'm not a hardcore PC gamer. If I were playing BF3 and Crysis and such I'd have no problems buying the best GFX card and CPU I could afford. I do like the PSU and HDD you linked better than what I had picked out though. Thanks.

Take that build and put in a gtx60ti or evga gtx 570 superclocked.

Should drop the build to under $1000, but i dont know prices where you live.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-S...6561248&sr=8-1

and case
    http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-S...6561248&sr=8-1

edit: i'm really tired some im editting a lot, the i5 2500k is the best gaming cpu atm and it's a steal. I don;t know radeon's but i know the 560ti is awesome for the price, i'd go with eVGA because you get amazing after purchase support and programs, even games atm.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2012-01-14 at 05:17 PM.

Not sure if you realized or not, but you linked the same GFX card twice instead of linking a case.

Deleted
    There are tons of good computer cases out there, I'll just list a few one's for you:

Antec 900 - $99.99
    Rosewill BLACKHAWK - $89.99
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 - $99.99
    Fractal Design Arc Midi - $99.99
    Corsair Carbide 400R - $99.99
    Cooler Master CM 690 II - $94.99

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll want the Fractal Design Arc Midi. Sorry, I looked over it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    You'll want the Fractal Design Arc Midi. Sorry, I looked over it. :P
    Must be amazing to magically have the ability to read the wants and needs of others.

@OP there's plenty of viable cases out there in your budget.

Anything from:

Lian Li
    Corsair
    Antec
    Cooler Master
    Fractal Designs

will be a wise choice as they generally receive the highest ratings.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Cases:

Personally, I've been a fan of hte Cooler Master Cosmos series, I've got the original now.

However, their new one looks rather nice Check out their Cosmos II

10+ Year Old Account
    The Cosmos is way over his price range..

He's going to give you a huge range of cases with no direction whatsoever, even though some are better than others. For instance, I recommended the Fractal Design Arc Midi because it fits your build rather well, comes with plenty of fans, great cable routing holes, and it's very pleasing to the eye.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-01-14 at 06:53 PM.

Yea I like the Arc Midi case very much. I'll probably go with it over the one I picked.

Deleted
    Gaming 800
    MoBo: MSI P67A-G43$114.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill 1600MHz Ripjaws 2x2GB$29.99
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti$209.99
    HDD: WD Caviar Blue 750GB$119.99
    PSU: Antec NeoECO 520W$59.99 Review
    Case: CM Elite 430$49.99 Review
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $805

Recommended for:
    Potent gaming build that will take care of
    almost all gaming needs; will exceed in most
    games but lacks the power to cope with really
    demanding titles at max settings.
    Gaming 900
    MoBo: MSI P67A-G43$114.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i5 2500k$219.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB$43.99
    GPU: MSI Twin Frozr III Radeon 6950$259.99
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB$149.99
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W$59.99
    Case: Xigmatek Utgard$69.99
    --------------------------------------------------
    Estimated Total Price – $919

Recommended for:
    Gaming build that will take care of almost
    all gaming needs; will exceed in most games
    but lacks the power to cope with really
    demanding titles at max settings.
    As for a case, I'm very impressed by the Arc Midi. It might be a bit out of budget, but if you want a very sleek looking case with room to build in and nice cooling, it's a very good choice. Both the above listed cases are good picks at their price points, very potent and well recommended.

Yea I've been looking at your builds for some time now Marest researching various parts. I guess the last thing I'm really down to is a PSU. I'm wanting a 500-600W modular for under 90$ if possible. I have found quite a few in the 50-100$ range on Newegg but everytime I see one I like the bad reviews just get the best of me lol. Reading these horror stories on damn near every PSU going out in 1-5 months down the road just makes me abandon that particular one and browse on to the next one. Anyone got any good PSU's in mind like I described?

Deleted
    Most PSU at $90 or lower will be semi-modular, which in my opinion is fine as long as it's only certain cables attached.

Deleted
    PSU: Corsair TX550M$89.99 Review

And if you are referring to the user feedback, don't listen too much to it. All PSU models more or less have a failing quota - even the best of the best. Some at 10%, some at 2%. It happens; it really is impossible for a company (or rather uneconomical) to inspect every unit in such detail as to make sure it will work properly. All the negative reviews you see are from people who have had some sort of issue, or had their order delayed or simply had the unit be DOA. Unfortunately people are more likely to do a user review if something bad happened to them or their order. And how many do you think comes back and changes their review when their issue is resolved? As such, take the user reviews with a few grains of salt.

Deleted
    I had thought about linking that one or the SeaSonic M12II 520 $80 + free shipping but as I mentioned earlier it's not really fully modular, though personally I'd be fine with it.

*The reviews are good*
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-01-15 at 05:20 PM.

Well I've changed the build up completely since my OP and decided to run with an i3 2100 and this ASRock MoBo. I've been looking at compatible RAM on their supported list for this board and haven't really found anything to my liking. I don't know the all the rules to matching RAM to MoBo when the RAM isnt on the supported list so I need help from someone more knowledgeable on here. Will THIS RAM be compatible with my board?
    I also read somewhere (cant find the link I read this from atm) that the 2nd gen iCores should be ran with 1.5v RAM but I don't know how true that is. Just hoping the RAM I've chosen will work for the time being.

Deleted
    I honestly think that is a miss-match and a poor way to distribute ones budget. Why? The Extreme4 is a high end Z68 motherboard with a multitude of high-end functions and features (~$200), and the i3 2100 is a budget (gaming) CPU (~$120). They simply don't match. I'd rather recommend getting a less feature-rich motherboard and at least an i5 2400 (ideally an i5 2500k). The only reason I see to go for such a setup is if you plan to upgrade to Ivy Bridge on release (or shortly after), in which case I'd probably opt for an even cheaper CPU (Ivy Bridge being scheduled/rumored to be released in April). If not, it's just a strange way to handle/divide the budget.

Those RAM modules should work just fine. Overclocked Sandy Bridge CPUs tend to be more stable with 1600MHz RAM though.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-01-16 at 11:32 PM.